Crunch Box vs. Menatone KOTB?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I just recently ended up with a MI Audio Crunch Box pedal in a trade, it's a pretty good sounding "Marshall-in-a-box" kinda pedal but how does it fair against say a Menatone King Of The Britains pedal?

Has anybody here compared these two pedals in a side by side shootout and what are your conclusions?

2. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I've owned a 5 knob KOTB and a V1 Crunchbox. The CB was higher gain, and didn't have enough EQ options compared to the KOTB. The Crunchbox was more aggressive, in a good way, though.

I'd like to try a V2 Crunchbox and see if the presence control helps without losing the edge that the original design had.

My main problem with the KOTB was that it was a little flat, as in not really 3d sounding. Later versions have probably rectified this problem, because I hear quite a bit of praise for the 6 and 7 knob versions.

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The KOTB is for the overdriven plexi Marshall sound, and the Crunch Box is more for the modern sounds like the JCM 800, 900, and DSL tones. They're really two different types of pedals.

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

So is the Plexi sound more AC/DC-ish? I'm sorry , I don't know the difference.

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Plexi is definitely AC/DC ish. IMO, Angus Young defines the Plexi tone. Later Marshalls are defined by most of the '80's "hair bands" and the tones they were getting back then (although it is sometimes to hard to hear the actual amp tone which was often buried by tons of chorus and delay!)

7. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Thanks for your responses guys!

So, the KOTB is more of a lower-gain, Plexi-type of sound, huh? Cool! I'm using a Fulltone OCD (v.3) for lower-gain stuff.

I've got the newest version of the Crunch Box BTW, v.2, the one with the internal Presence control.

I played around with this pedal last night and I think that it's a real keeper. It goes great with my Fulltone OCD, I use the OCD for medium grit and if I want more of a high-gain Marshall-type of tone I can use the Crunch Box. I also put a Maxon OD-808 first in the chain and push either of these pedals even more.

This is a pretty decent arrangement IMHO, I can get LOTS of great sounds!

For a good approximation of 80s Marshall tones, you probably couldn't find a better pedal then the Crunch Box, especially at this price, what a bargain.

8. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

So, which version of the KOTB are you using?

9. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I was lucky to pick up a 4 knob PTP KOTB - it is an amazing pedal - definitely not subtle - it is not transparent but emulates the ROAR of a Marshall stack - incredible!!!

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1 :banana

11. dobro man

dobro man Member

The most recent 7 knob version of the KOTB with 3 voice switch is really a whole different pedal form the MI CB. The flexibiity it offers in tones is on a different level from the CB though it is a much more expensive pedal.

They arent really in the same league in terms of what they individally offer.

The KOTB is really really good.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

A few weeks ago I a/b-ed the CB and 7knob KOTB briefly in a store. Since I own the 6knob version and hadn´t heard the CB before I was curious how they compare.

The tone differences are as described by the previous posters, although please do not think that the KOTB is somewhat low-gain - maybe it is compared to other pedals but it still has a lot of dirt available, at least for my taste.

One thing I noticed comparing the KOTB with other pedals is the unique equalizer. There is something in this pedal that makes it sound like an amp and (most of its) competitors like a pedal. I notice that all the time when I switch between the KOTB and my BB preamp. Both are wonderful amp-like pedals but the Menatone always goes a step further. Must be something in the mids that makes other pedals sound boxy in comparison.

I personally do not like very low gain tones on the KOTB playing chords, then there is a kind of break up sizzle I don´t like. Maybe it´s me but I see it solely as a rock pedals and would always just use it like that, which makes it less versatile for me. It´s like playing just clean on a high gain amp, I always feel tempted to kick on the gain an rawk!
    But that´s not the fault of the pedal obviously... there you go, my thought on the KOTB. A wonderful pedal but I still don´t know whether it´s for me or not:(

13. alivegy

alivegy Member

yes, the cb is true bypass.

14. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i got a an original KOTB and a crunch box version 2...to me the KOTB was way more three dimesnional than the crunch box....it bumped the crunch box off the board...and in my opinion you can get the same amount of gain out of either but way more tweakable with the KOTB

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    MI Audio don't claim anything on this issue but I can report that on my rig, to my ears, it's "real bypass". That is, I can't hear any change in my amps tone when it's turned off as compared to when it's removed from the chain completely. Whether or not it's allegedly "true bypass" in a technical sense is not relevant to me - all I care about is if its "real bypass".

16. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Well, I got to play around with my Crunch Box a little bit last night, I opened the back cover to get to that Presence pot on the PCB. I ended up turning it down a bit so that it's not so piercing.

For such a simple looking circuit, it sounds pretty darned good! Time will tell if I keep this thing, in all reality it's probably too high-gain for me but then again, I don't have any other pedals that cover this territory but how much will I use it? That's the question.

I've gone through quite a few overdrive/distortion pedals in the last ten years and the only one that I've kept is the Fulltone OCD(v.3).

If I end up not using the Crunch Box much, I may try to trade it for another overdrive pedal, maybe another OCD. That way, I could have one OCD set for low gain and the other set for higher gain.

17. Sikor

Sikor Member

Have You tried the CB on 18V?
    It is more dynamic, more open. Really 18V changed more than I expected :)

BTW I am using OCD v3 for a low/mid gain (also with 18V) and CB for higher gain. Great pair! :AOK