Crunch Box Woes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bungalowbill, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

I have a V-2 Crunch Box that I currently use and I love the fact that the volume knob issue has been rectified, but that internal presence control is about to make me pull my hair out. :bkw

My V-1 CB was so easy to dial in..plug and play...great tone. The newer version is either muffled or too bright....I play a Strat with vintage style pick ups with A5 magnets.....Does anyone have any advice on how to set that internal control to get the V-1 version or any other ideas that may work?

Thanks

2. jdandry

jdandry Member

Whats the problem with it?

3. drolling

drolling Member

At least one poster here has said they preferred VI, and I'm pretty pleased with mine just the way it is. Mine took a month to get here (from Oz) and didn't want to ship it all the way back, anyway.

New versions aren't always *better*. BOSS is famous for this!

Maybe you could ask Mike to remove the trim pot. AFAIK, that & the volume pot are the only changes to this great pedal..

4. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

I can't "dial it in" like the old one....it is either too bright, without enough bottom or there aren't enough highs. It seems like v-1 was made for singlecoils.

5. dave s

dave s Member

I have one of the original copies as well. It completely smokes with single coils. Actually, it works so well, I'm not going to open it up and do any internal 'adjusting' at all.

If it's not broken ....

dave

6. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

I wish I had my original one back...nothing to adjust. :D

7. jhumber

jhumber Member

I have a v2 that I use with a Strat, loaded with low-output single coils.

I get really nice tones using the following settings:

Pedal:
    Volume = 10 o'clock
    Tone = 1 o'clock
    Gain = 2 o'clock

Amp (Rivera R55 running totally clean):
    Bass = 6
    Middle = 7
    Treble = 5

I haven't touched the internal pot. See if those settings bring you any luck....

8. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Somebody here posted a pic where they had switched the trim pot and mounted it outside, on the side of the box. An easy and very useful mod. I'll look for it...

9. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yeah, i'm glad I never got mine modded either. I didn't think it needed improving, at least for my tastes.

10. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I think you guys just saved me a few bucks. I was wondering if I should buy the v2 just to have a presence knob. I think I'll stick with my v1 and be happy.......for now.

11. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

I'm sure version II is just like version I with the trim setting "somewhere in the middle". Each time you move the trimmer I would see how the tone control interacts with your trimmer adjustment as the two together effect your overall EQ. I will say that in my experience, this pedal is significantly affected by a buffer in the chain and sounds a bit more chewy (better) without a buffer. This has been my experience for all buffers (IC, Jfet-based, etc) before or after the Crunch Box. I built an IC buffer last in my chain and made it switchable to counter the effects on certain pedals.

Bill, if you really want to pull your hair out, start experimenting with the IC. I still like the LM833 the best though.

12. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

Very cool. I hope I don't have to go that far though.

I do have a few buffered pedal in my chain...TU-2, DE-7 and Bad Monkey...... I will try running it by itself.

I believe I will pass on changing the IC, while I still have some hair left.

Thanks for the responses...I am going to put it through the ringer tonight and see if I can suss it out.

13. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Member

What I found out is that a very tiny adjustment made a big difference. I turned the presence up about the width of the screwdriver blade I was using. Any more and it was too bright for me. Any less was not enough.