Crunch-- Which pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jimmydeez, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I want to get a nice classic rock vintagey crunch from the clean channel on my 20 watt ODS.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Currently I have a Hot Cake and a SHO. I like the Hot Cake for lead and the SHO as a boost is great but I don't care for either as a crunch into a clean amp.

2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Have you heard an old RAT?

3. Jimmydeez

Nope.... But I always got the feeling they were high gain. I am looking for a thick, just passed the edge of break up tone. Think Counting Crows live sound.

4. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well, if you're already on the Edge of breakup, I"d suggest the COT50. It'll take you from edge of breakup to full on plexi crunch.

..and I have one for sale.

5. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

OCD (v2)

It will do higher gain also, but at low/mid gain settings (or by rolling the guitar vol. back) It excells at what you are describing... IMO.

6. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

They are high gain, but for a nice rock tone I set mine at 1 o'clock on the gain. Another thing that I've been liking with the Hot Cake is running a TS9 in front of it. I have the gain of the TS9 at 10 o'clock and volume at noon with the tone at 9. When I kick on the HC it thickens up the tone nicely, and give's it a nice raw tone. The HC settings are 3 o'clock on the volume, 10 on the presence and 10 on the gain.

7. stucker

stucker Member

I use a Nobels ODR-1 with my Fender Twin to get the vintage crunch sound you are describing. The overdrive is very amp-like, not overly compressed or midrangey.

The old green ones do sound a little better but the newer silver models still have the same character (I have both). You can't beat them for ~ $50.

Scott

8. dave s

dave s Member

Jimmy:

Not sure what an "ODS" amp is, but understand what pedals you currently have and that you're trying to get the classic rock crunch rhythm tone from a clean amp. Same here and I know what you're looking for.

A couple of pedals that would work pretty well for you would be the Fulltone OCD or the MI Audio Crunch Box. The OCD works great with the Fender/Marshall amps and the CB works great with my Matchless and VOX amps. Both will do mild OD (which you already have) to right up to high-gain dist, but not the nu-metal stuff. Neither will break the bank either.

Must tell you though when you get to the higher gain crunch tones, the SHO no longer will work like you want it to. It's too compressed to do any good boosting a crunch tone for a guitar solo. It'll be more like the 'anti-boost' pedal! You'll need to go with a much cleaner boost to accomplish that end of the deal.

dave

9. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the COT - I can also get some nice cruch at a little higher gain level with my Timmy. Neither of these pedals is a TS clone. If you like the TS type of crunch there are about 3 million choices out there....

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The COT50 comes to mind when you describe what you are looking for.

--Phil

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I was going for a tone like this last week, came up with Marshall clean channel on 8 with Hotplate to keep the police away. From there, the pedal didn't make that much difference as I was getting most of the tone from my amp and the pedal was just hitting the front end for added distortion and sustain. I used a good ol' SD-1, which worked fine.

12. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

PM me if you want the COT50..

13. Jimmydeez

The ODS is the Fuchs ODS. Right now I am using the lead channel as a crunch and using my Hot Cake into the dirty channel for a lead.

Basically I want to switch it so I am using a pedal into the clean channel to get my crunch tone and the same pedal into the lead channel to get my lead tone. That way I can have a greater control over the volume of my lead tone.

Does that make sense?

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

What exactly are people talking about when they describe "crunch"? I know it's similar to the sound on Led Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times, but what is it? OD? Low gain distortion? What separates it from other types of ODs?

I'm wondering because I would like to incorporate a crunch sound into my sound, but am not sure where it's completely appropriate. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it already!

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

For a clean amp the Crunchbox.

Check out some of LeonCs clips. It sounds like a Marshall in a box.

16. Thazy

Thazy Member

+1 on the CrunchBox into a clean amp. Works very well for that.

17. dave s

dave s Member

Understand the 'ambiguity' of the term "Crunch."

Maybe a blanket description of the term crunch would be summed up by saying a good example of a crunch(y) tone is Back In Black by AC/DC. The chords are distorted, but the connecting riff between the A before going back to the E chord is clean enough to get across the intended message, even though it's mildly distorted.

Another good example of 'crunch' tone is the rhythm tones is what you hear in classic rock stuff like Bad Co. and/or music by The Cars.

Use an OD or dist pedal and the guitar's volume to regulate the amount of 'crunchiness' (rolled back) or 'smoothness' (wide open) to the output.

Most times, you can't turn your tube amp up loud enough to make the amp "crunch" on its own, so you need a pedal to get you there.

dave

18. Quinny

Quinny Member

First two things to my mind (because I own them and am familiar with) were the Boss BD-2 (mine is a Keeley but the stock model is nice) and the Bad Cat 2-Tone (fantastic box, takes a little tweaking and isn't the cheapest around, but oh so good).

Q.

19. dave s

dave s Member

I'm hearing what you're saying. Based on my experience, one pedal might not accomplish your intentions. Here's why.

If you use either of the pedal I recommended (just for example) both are capable of mild OD to fairly high-gain tone. If you set either pedal in the middle ground of it capability, it would be so over the top when you switched channels on the amp, it wouldn't do what you expected. Plus, the pedal will behave differently into each channel.

Maybe what you need is a two-effect box like a Carl Martin Hot Drive n Boost (just an example) which has an OD AND a clean boost in one pedal. The clean boost would certainly do what you want on the gain channel of the amp and the OD side of the pedal would provide the crunch required through the clean channel of the amp.

Sounds like if you want to use the amp in the manner you described, a dual-function pedal would be required rather than just a single OD or Dist pedal.

dave

20. iggs

iggs Member