Crunchbox vs. Box of Rock

koa

Silver Supporting Member
Wich do you guys prefer for your dirty work and why? Can the BoR be used for low to medium gain applications?

byrdman

Does the Crunch Box "clean up" when the volume on the guitar is backed off? If it does "clean up" to an overdriven tone, does the Crunch box maintain a good similarity with the bypassed tone?

Angle Loss

Does the Crunch Box "clean up" when the volume on the guitar is backed off? If it does "clean up" to an overdriven tone, does the Crunch box maintain a good similarity with the bypassed tone?
It doesn't clean up that well at all. Compared to a dry signal it boosts the midrange quite a bit. An OCD would do a better job of cleaning up.

XKnight

CB definitely does not clean up or even get into the realm of OD in my experience. It does one thing really well and that thing is high gain distortion.

koa

Silver Supporting Member
Are you kidding. This is the BoR's absolute forte !
That's great to hear. I just picked up a BoR in a trade and was hoping it wouldn't be redundant to have it on my board with my Crunchbox. It sounds like they will compliment each other quite nicely.

Keith SIO

Yea BOR cleans up. CB pretty much stays the same volume until your volume knob hits 1. Juse takes a tiny tiny tiny bit of the distortion off.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
BoR cleans up better than any pedal I've owned. And I absolutely loved it for low to mid gain sounds (although it can give you dead-on AC/DC when you want it.

The boost is also excellent for goosing other pedals and, when used at unity volume, for enhancing your clean sound (especially if you've got some bad buffers in the mix).

No redundancy with the CB at all. And if Mr. Vex ever releases one that has some control over the bass, I'll buy it again immediately.

BAN

Trending Topics