Crunchbox vs. OCD.

Zim

Ok guys, here is the deal. I have enough to buy 1 right now.

So what are the pros and cons of each?

Which version of either should I hunt for?

**I think in the end, they will both live on my board, but I wanted to get an idea of which version to find and which one to buy first.**

Thanks and feel free to ad other suggestions in there to cloud up my mind :D

And it doesn't matter my rig, as it is in constant flux right now, but do know, I am going back to a strat and might add a tele and P90's will in there too.

vintage66

Well first, how do you run your amp (clean, dirty) and what type of music/sound are you looking for. I've had both and sold the Crunchbox because it likes a clean amp. I like running my amp overdriven then adding an overdrive-the Ocd works really well that way. The Crunchbox gets a good Sweet Emotion type crunch-the power chords, with a clean amp. The Ocd is not as much a stand-alone distortion box imo.

Zim

Good question.... I flip flop. MOST of the time I like my amp a bit dirty and ride the vol. on my guitar. Other times, I like it clean and bit thick sounding ie: with a wee bit of bite, but clean.

vintage66

Good question.... I flip flop. MOST of the time I like my amp a bit dirty and ride the vol. on my guitar. Other times, I like it clean and bit thick sounding ie: with a wee bit of bite, but clean.

I'd go OCD for sure.

BradB41

I'd go OCD for sure.

Agreed. I have owned both (sold the OCD this past week actually), and they are apples and oranges. OCD is low to medium gain. The Crunhbox is designed to sound like a cranked Marshall (ie, Slash, AC/DC, etc). I could even get a pretty convincing metal (Metallica) tone using an EQ with the Crunch box.

I'm not saying the OCD is better...it just sounds a closer to what you say you like.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
The crunchbox sounds thin and un amp like to me. I haven't owned an OCD for a while but had version 3 which I got after the CB and thought it was a far better sounding OD.

vbf

I've owned both and sold the OCD. I liked it, just wasn't for me. The Crunch Box is as already described and sounds really good. But for what you're describing I'd get he OCD. And consider running it at 18 volts....sounded bigger, fuller, better to my ears.

orogeny

Silver Supporting Member
i will be the guy to add to the mix.

screwdriver made them irrelevant in my thang . .

rocknow

OCD became a little fuzzy when the drive knob full. I hear that ocd using mosfet clipper. but ocd have a good dinamic.

Top Bottom