CRUNCHFEST Track featuring some of the amps and riffs from my 1st video HD500X

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by PJH, Feb 20, 2015.

1. PJH

PJH Member

Hi everyone,

I've had a great response to my first video and the patches that I've created. I decided to put a track together made up from some of the riffs that I played in my first video.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1534353

I also used a few of the amps and patches that were made available on my website. There will be more patches for download once the second part of the video is uploaded.

I used the Les Paul for this track.

In the meantime, the amps featured were:

Plexi (all the backing gtrs)
    JCM800 (the first, second and last solo gtrs. A bit of stereo delay was added to these)
    Treadplate (3rd solo gtr. Stereo delay was added to this patch)
    Fender Twin (clean gtr straight)
    Fender Twin (clean with delay and chorus.)

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Peter.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

that might be one of the best HD500X demos I've heard.

3. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Agree. Excellent sounds and playing.

4. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Wow, that was really well done! I'll be checking your site for sure. How much were the guitar tones processed after the POD? Not that there's anything wrong with that. This sounds more complete than just another gear demo...the piece sounds so polished, I'm assuming that's a little more work done after tracking to get everything to sit so well together. I'd love to know details on how you went about that part of the process as well.

I know a lot of times people get antsy if they listen to a clip with post processing done to the featured piece of gear. I get the logic, but i really like to hear these "in situ" type demos as well, especially with gear that's designed to be able to go direct. It really helps me to see the possibility of the gear instead of focusing on micro-imperfections or limitations like I can tend to do when listening to isolated/dry demos.

5. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment and listen.

@Chris, I'm really glad that you asked about post processing. It's a bugbear of mine when it comes to modelling. I can tell you that there wasn't much post processing done on those guitar parts.

The thing that gets me is that when one records a guitar amp that's miced in a studio with say an SM57, you would get the core tone into the desk and with a bit of mic positioning you'd find the sweet spot. You'd then record the raw track into your daw.

Once it comes to final mix, you'd then start playing with frequencies and you'd cut or add frequencies to find space for all the instruments to "sit" in the mix. Efx could be added etc.

Now that to most engineers is perfectly acceptable. Why is it when it comes to digital modelling that post processing is often regarded as a forbidden area??? Surely if the guitars sound great in the finished product, you have achieved what you set out to do.

When I created these patches for this track I used certain "virtual" mics. The SM57 tends to have a peak frequency that can annoy, so it should be cut out. That's what I did with these guitars. I was able to fine tune them in the HD500X before it went to the daw. I used the parametric eqs.

It would be sooo much easier to "correct" them with post processing after the fact but I wanted these patches to work for users in a live situation as well.

I've had a lot of feedback telling me how well my patches work when playing live.

When I record for myself though, I find it a lot easier to just process the guitars in the daw.

The point that I'm trying to prove here is that a modeller can be tweaked to work in almost any situation.

I do believe that modellers have reached a level where they can most definitely be used in a polished, final production.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.

6. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Thanks for the follow up. I share your opinion on post-processing, and I'm glad to see you didn't take it as an accusation of "cheating" or anything.

7. riffy

riffy Member

That sounds really, REALLY great to my ears!

Gary

8. mosesblues

mosesblues Member

Absolutely stellar! Your plexi tone alone gave me pause to regret selling my HD 500. You've truly made the unit respond wonderfully. Thanks for posting!

Moses

9. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you like the tones.

As I said in my post, all the patches used in this track will be uploaded as soon as part 2 of my video series is finished.

Stay tuned.
    Cheers
    Peter.

10. PJH

PJH Member

Hey, no problem, Chris.

I don't believe that it's "cheating". There's no "right" way or "wrong" way of doing things. It's always the end result that counts.

All I wanted to show is that you can use the eqs on the HD500X to achieve what you want but sometimes you might not want to do it like that. Many times in a recording you'll have to revisit the guitar tone to help blend it with the rest of the instruments in the mix. You cannot "predict" how it will sound until you actually get to the mixing stage.

Cheers,

Peter.

11. jdalf

jdalf Member

Well done, I still love my HD500, it wears a lot of hats for me, standalone, interface for SGear, and in front of a clean amp. Big bang for buck, had it over 3 years, nothing has come along for me to push it out of the house.

12. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks jdalf,

I still think that it's great value for money. Looking forward to the update too.

Cheers.

13. stout-hearted

stout-hearted Member

14. mosaic

mosaic Supporting Member

Sounds great! Excellent example of what the HD can do.

15. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks for the comments.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

16. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

This right here. Really nice job!

17. Jayboca

Jayboca Member

The JCM sounds a hell of a lot better than what I could get on my 500
    Nice job

18. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks guys.

I still rate the HD500 highly. I think it still holds its own out there.