1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel or VOX V848

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Just a quick wah question.
    Does anyone here prefer one over the other and why?
    Also, what is the most distinct difference between the two?
    I have the Crybaby Classic Fasel, but I never tried out the VOX.
    I have a friend that has giged heavily for years and he suggested the Classic.
    Am I missing out on anything?
    Thanks,
    Mass

2. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

Definetly go and check out the Fulltone Clyde or Clyde Deluxe. They are far supperior wahs with much better overall tone and a broader sweep to them. Great sound, built like a tank, and extrordinarily reliable.

3. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I've tried both the Cry baby Fasel and the new Vox (Fasel inside).. I kept the vox.. It sounds reall good and seemed to have less of a volume drop. true bypass, really nice sweep to it. Built way better inside too..
    I was going for that "motown" type wah sound . the new vox is surprisingly good.. I was told by a friend that they are inconsistant soundwise and it's good to try a few out if you can to pick out your fave...
    I had a Fulltone Clyde once... I just didn't get it I guess. flipped it.....
    You might like the Cry baby better.. I've heard of people have switching problems with theirs. Mine shorted out a few times during it's 20 minute audition.. I couldn't send that thing back fast enough.....

I'm currently waiting for a Area 51 board to put in a old Wah treadle.

4. drolling

drolling Member

The new "Classic" Crybaby does sound better than the the standard (GCB 95?) that Dunlop's been producing for decades, but it's very cheaply constructed by comparison.

I had high hopes for the new VOX "McCoy" 848, but I really didn't like the pedal's sweep. Too trebly at the top, and too bassy at the bottom - almost as if the designers had decided that "too much of a good thing" was what they were aiming for.

I'd recommend the plain-vanilla VOX 847 for the classic sounds of Jimi & Eric in a sturdy, road-worthy package. It will have to be true-bypassed w/a new DP/DT switch, unless you're using it in a looper. This standard wah buffer is responisble for creation of the oft-heard expression "tone-sucker". But it's a easy fix, and the switches themselves have come way down in price over the years.

For a good, off-the-rack, production wah w/true-bypass cicuitry, that nails the classic tones and also plays well w/modern hi-gain amps, I'd look no further than the Budda Bud-Wah.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thank you for all the help!
    I'll look into the budda bud-wah..does it have the fasel inductor?
    I'm sorta glad to hear about the new VOX v848, because that clears up alot of issues I was thinking of.
    Budda wah..........certainly has a nice roll to it just in it's name.
    Thanks again for the opinions and help.
    all the best,
    Mass

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've never really studied the board of the Bud when changing battereies (it does have an AC adaptor jack, BTW) but those red (the yellow ones are cool too- if you're a fan of the old 'Colorsound' wahs) Fasels RIs really do help. Put one in an '80s Dunlop Crybaby and it really did make a big difference - but the new "Classics" have board-mounted jacks and other cost-cutting features that make them a poor choice, IMO.

I can see where a previous poster's getting the motown sound from his VOX "McCoy", as the added treble response'll get you into that "Wah-wah Watson" "Shaft" type-territory - nice neighbourhood to visit, but I don't live there.

The Bud's such a solid wah, I've done nothing to it other than change the batteries occassionally - but the V847's such a great platform for mods - it already sounds great, but after swapping out the stock switch for a Magic Mountain DP/DT (about $10) I installed a Foxrox "wah booster kit" ($45 shipped) so I can place the pedal before fuzz/octavia for that classic Jimi sound, without the squealing or RF interference (radio stations!!) that can so often suck the joy out of making music..

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thats sorta what I am expiriencing..the treble of the high end of the classic. The classic does have a lush quality to it, but as I am practicing longer and getting a bit better, I notice that the range of the classic is shallow, or a very quick movement in the sweep if you will.
    I can control it with a bare foot, with my toes curled around the front of the pedal because the range is so short (LOL), but that situation to me is now not feasable.
    I wish I could get that same frequency with the full rock of the wah., and with out the full back rock being a blanket over the amp, and the full rock forward being as if there was a treble setting that went to 40.
    That's why I was wondering if the V848 delivered on that end..
    I have the wah placed before my fuzzes and OD's for that classic Jimi sound...I am a Jimi freak and study his work in detail.
    I thought the V848 was a RI of the wah that Jimi used, (please correct me if it isn't)
    I see that a wah choice is a picky one.
    Take care,
    Mass

8. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I also found the Bud Wah to be the best choice under 200.00 For a wide sweep the colorsound is great.

9. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

I needed a wah, so have a friend's Crybaby Classic on loan with me now for some time. i recently bought a used Vox 848 Cyde McCoy for myself.

I find that the 848 has a more vocal and expressive sweep than the Classic. Yes, the high end section of the wah goes further but to me it never gets to the point where its too bright or harsh. its bright but still sweet. it really works for my style of playing.

I had a Budda Wah and a Vox 847 in the past which were not bad, but i don't remember them being this 'vocal' sounding. The Budda sounded very similar to the Vox 847, but had a longer sweep.

i don't know how to put it in better terms, but the 848 sounds more like what i want to hear when i play Hendrix or SRV stuff. And the sweep really works well for the funk stuff i play too. i love the 'vocal' tone and expressiveness that i get when i use it with a medium OD.

i think its the best value for a true-bypass vintage sounding wah in this price range.

10. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I have the new Classic w/ Fasel and the true bypass switch. Good sounding and short sweep(something i wanted) and not too bright on the top end. For the price it's hard to beat it imo.