Crybaby type wah u don't need to STOMP on to activate..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by quadrogong, Mar 31, 2015.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I go through Crybaby pedals,
    they never really last me that many years, but I always loved the classic Crybaby pedal, the feel,the tone,range..
    I hate stomping on them so aggressively to start or stop them.
    I don't think I'd be happy with a Bad Horsie or another style pedal,
    The Crybaby is the basic vibe I like...maybe Vox is ok
    I was really curious about the new mini crybaby but it's not out yet.

I was considering getting an upgraded version,
    I like True bypass and an LED to show u that it's on,
    but what I really was looking for was something with a different on/off switch.
    I heard the Bonamassa model is a little easier to stomp on,but I haven't tried it.
    is there anything like that available?
    that I don't have to stomp on so hard?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

3. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

thanks, I went to that link and was unable to really understand what they were trying to say here, is it adding true bypass only?
    or does it eliminate the need for stomping?
    I noticed their wah pedal, the"wowee wah" could be activated by just placing the foot on the pedal..
    but this was a bit hard to understand:

Since now enough is to place a foot on a wah-wah effect - to switch it on and remove a foot – to switch it off (not important is position the wah-wah effect pedal is left). To bypass wah-wah effect the wah-pad enables straight wiring from the effect input jack through the wah-pad switch to the effect output jack, with no connection to the wah-wah effect circuit (True Bypass). So using it eliminates any influence of the wah-wah effect onto a guitar tone when the wah-wah effect is not used.

4. seibertdr

seibertdr Member

Probably translated from Chinese.

5. Dorman

Dorman Member

Dunlop crybaby 95Q is the answer. It's a crybaby. It's switch-less (auto on/off when you rock it). It's affordable. Has a volume/gain boost, and the q control for the tonal range/sweep.

6. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

You could change the on-off switch to a "soft" (no click) switch, like Jack Vaughn installs in his M9 upgrades (something I'm planning on doing with my EHX pedals)....

7. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

The Morley wahs are switchless.

8. Dorman

Dorman Member

Only thing I should add is that i don't believe it's true bypass and there's no LED, but those features aren't important to me. Happy hunting!

9. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

i always felt Morley was a bit too wide a range for guitar but I love them for bass, it's a little different vibe..more extreme IMO
    but that Dunlop 95Q sounds good, no,it isn't TB,but it uses a buffered circuit

I'm looking for something as close to a Crybaby as possible,
    with upgrades,I guess.
    thanx, I'll check that one out!

10. AmmoniteII

AmmoniteII Member

As far as i understandit the wah pad is basically a pressurepad that allows you to bypass the signal when not stood on. I.e you leave the wah on at what ever setting you like ala micheal shenker .. cannot spell... and when you put your foot on the wah your tone goes from clean to q effected as it were. There are pleanty of demos online but i think the g-lab wah pad is what you want. Also worth a mention is the silvermachine wah as it can be switched or pressure sensitive but i dont know if the tone will suit your taste.

11. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

thank you,

actually,the Ernie ball pedal has a switch u can adjust, how hard or soft the "stomp" is..
    I had their volume pedal though, and it was the noisiest, tone sucking thing ever,so I'm a little wary

the BBE wah gets a fantastic review from that guitar player magazine shootoff..
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/7-wah-pedals-battle-in-a-wail-off/16967
    LED indicator,True Bypass,and they list it as "the most musical sounding pedal" of the entire bunch,

I'm using those regular $70 crybaby pedals since the 80's and I'm very used to them, I'm afraid of straying too far from that

12. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

The BBE is so good, that people were gladly paying hundreds of dollars for them.

13. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

The Crybaby 95Q or Morley mini maverick might be good options.

14. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Yeah, sorry. Their text is isn't so helpful!

Yes, it makes any wah true bypass, but the neat thing is that it lets you leave the wah switched on, and only activates a loop (that the wah is plugged into) when you put your foot on it.

15. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

those BBE wahs get great,great reviews.. I'm tempted to try something different this time,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5u72FzWPI&spfreload=1
    hearing good things about these AMT Japanese girl pedals,
    lightweight,easy to activate, TB, LED..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5u72FzWPI&spfreload=1
    the demo sounds fairly like a crybaby..not that far off..the range seems a little shallower,less bite to the top end,which I didn't care for

I know myself though,I'll probably go w the crybaby when it comes to really important gear,
    I never stray from those classic names..
    Gibson,Vox,Marshall,Crybaby.. I keep things simple,and hate surprises onstage.
    I'll probably wind up with a crybaby of some type,
    it'd be nice to carry around something a little lighter though, those crybabys are like carrying bricks