CS-2 country settings...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guildchild, Apr 2, 2008.

1. guildchild

guildchild Member

first off, i've read through a ton of threads and couldn't really find settings that are different from how I'm currently using mine. so, i figured that i would ask the specific question.

what are your CS-2 settings for country?

my set up:
    JD tele - mod'd
    CS-2 - 1st in chain; level at 2, sustain at 10, attack to taste
    a bunch of other pedals
    into a swart AST or TRRI for bigger shows

i've got good snap from chicken pickin, but i'd like a comp that accentuates that. with the current setting (which has no volume boost/cut) it squashes the chicken pickin way too much. for pedal-steel emulation, it's perfect. are my settings wrong or is this not the right pedal? i should also add that i'm only interested in using comp when playing clean. the dirt pedals add enough comp/sustain for me.

2. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

If I remember right, I think where I've set it is attack almost all the way up to full up, level a little past noon to boost things a little and (the question part) sustain around 11 o'clock. I'm not much of a country player, but I picked this up from a friend who is. I find that the amp settings and type of amp really can change all this, especially if your amp is up and already compressing a bit on it's own. I love the CS-2 with a Tele into a Black Face Fender.

3. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

That is about where I run my CS-2 with a tele for country stuff...level around 2:00, sustain around 11:00. I usually have the attack set wide open.

For less "squash" I lower the sustain and raise the level. The CS-2 always has a good deal of "squash" though, more than a lot of other compressors.

The CS-2 is definitely not a "transparent" compressor but if you are going for that rubbery/obvious/Nashville kinda thing then I think it is an excellent compressor.

-Tim

4. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've recently added a CS-2 to my rig, and use it for 2 country songs. I keep everything at noon. I could go a little deeper on the attack and a little deeper on tone for country, but I also use it for rock songs, and anything past noon is too much for me.

5. guildchild

guildchild Member

thanks for the feedback.

sounds like i'm in the same ballpark with settings.

it definitely responds differently between the swart and the twin. with the twin, it's much more transparent. maybe i'll have to lug that thing around for the country shows.