• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

CS-3 noise and unhappy buyer

leweh

Sold a boss CS-3 as part of my pedal clear out (moved to a keeley, i love it) for £50 with postage and a week later the buyer comes back with:

"This unit is noisy, therefore unuseable for recording purposes. Maybe faulty."

After I stated that this may just be the CS-3 design he replied back:

"I've tried various settings. I have tried the guitar going straight into the pedal and out directly into monitor. I have background noise which my DAW picks up. I've changed the leads and PSU with no success."

Does anyone else find the CS-3 noisy or is this just my thinking that the inherent feature of a compressor is to raise noise if set as so?

Sounded fine before I sent it so I dont think this is faulty but I haven't recorded with the pedal....

Maybe Im getting fed up with having to deal with "best offers" euughhh

npappas

If you use a guitar pedal compressor straight into a DAW you're going to hear noise. They're not really made for this purpose.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
CS-3 is a pretty heavy handed compressor, and along with the heavy compression comes more noise

leweh

Thanks for the replies, I was questioning my response to him about user error as I never have used it into a DAW

this will be going straight back on eBay as PayPal always favours buyers, just ask my mate who sold apa working graphics card they managed to melt!

As an aside I am finding the market in the UK to be very alive and well for selling pedals

Madsen

I thought the CS-3 was unusable due to noise. The Monte Allums mod significantly improved that. Still got rid of it though.

leweh

As I say the guy expected the pedal to be faulty but I gave him a guarantee that if he bought one new it would be the same, worked as expected for me

I suspect he had buyers remorse which is disappointing that I have to relist, anyone interested? :rotflmao

tbader

Plenty of older Boss pedals have a fairly higher amount of noise, even with isolated transformers.

That’s just the way it is.

I have 130 Boss Compacts and some of the older ones can make my signal a bit hissy.

But, then again, I got a Supro Tremolo a few years ago that was even hissier, but sounded great too.

My CS-3 is an earlier MIJ model. I can’t say I remember it having any extra noise apart from what it was inherently amplifying in my signal.

It definitely doesn’t get as much love as my CS-2 or CP-1X, though.

OotMagroot

I have a modded CS-3. Even with the mods, mine is kinda noisy - but, compared to alot of compressors out there, the CS-3 has a TON of squish available - which could translate to noise. The guy probably cranked the compression and level knobs and felt the pedal was too noisy.

Sad.

I have bought hundreds of pedals over the years.
I would never try to return a pedal that I didn't like / understand,
by claiming it was "faulty".

That is a dick move.

If you buy a pedal, and it works as it is supposed to,
but isn't to your liking - suck it up, say " oh well" and re-sell it.

He didn't ask to borrow / try it out.
You sold it, he bought it.

You promised a working pedal, you did not guarantee enjoyment.

People...

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the pedal mechanically speaking. I hate the circuit. I had one years ago and thought is was junk... one of the very few Boss pedals that I really don’t like. The CS-3 seems like all it did was generate noise ... so yeah I think your buyer doesn’t like the pedal either. He didn’t do his research I guess.

AgentDouble

CS-3 is fine, and not noisy at all until you know what the pedal is for and how to set it up.
People who dont like the CS-3 usually don't know how to set it up. And the user manual doesn't really help. Here are some tips :

As the effect of the control knobs are very subtle, a good way to understand knobs interactions is to record your playing on a computer and examine the spectrum generated by each setting.

The controls should be set up from right to left, just like following the signal path.

- Sustain sets the input level to match the output level of your instrument. Usually don't set it above noon.

- Attack is useless and should always be set fully counter-clockwise.

- Tone speaks for itself.

- Level sets the main output level of the pedal.

Note that Ratio is fixed. There's no way of adjusting the ratio on the CS-3.

Hope this will be usefull.

leweh

Wish I asked you guys before I sent him my address for the refund! I had some useful settings with the pedal but was due an upgrade, needed a blend control for my acoustic

Just received the pedal back and he kept the box... Ffs makes me wonder if he wanted the box

Hawkmoon269

Silver Supporting Member
Yes the CS-3 is noisy, yes he should have known better, and yes you get to refund him anyways. Welcome to the thankless field of retail.

leweh

Yes the CS-3 is noisy, yes he should have known better, and yes you get to refund him anyways. Welcome to the thankless field of retail.
100% agree, little payback asking for him to post the box before releasing the funds!

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Wish I asked you guys before I sent him my address for the refund! I had some useful settings with the pedal but was due an upgrade, needed a blend control for my acoustic

Just received the pedal back and he kept the box... Ffs makes me wonder if he wanted the box
I don’t know why...but the guy not returning the pedal in it’s box...the one you sent to him...irritates me beyond belief, lol.

I’d be asking to him to mail it back. What a lame as#.

Did you get the exact same pedal back ?
Or did he keep yours ( and the box),
and send you his crappy CS-3, that he bought at a flea market.

Regardless, a refund means returning the product
EXACTLY as it was sent out.

Not only is he a time waster and a baby,
he is also a dick.

Good grief.

Trending Topics