Cs 336

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitar Dave T, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Greetings, Gear-Heads:

Please let me know what your experience with this guitar is. I've run across two in two years - no dealers carry them in the Dallas Fort Worth area, and both times, I've been totally blown away. I've owned 3 ES335's, 2 '61 style SGs and 2 Les Paul Standards, and I've never heard or played anything like it.

I am currently selling some older equipment to finance a Dr. Z amplifier and another guitar, MAYBE THIS GUITAR.

I play rock, blues, jazz and funk - tons of clips at http://www.guitardavetaylor.com and http://www.myspace.com/guitardavetaylor - How will this guitar measure up?

How will it match up with a Dr. Z Maz38 Sr?

Has anyone here had any kind of quality issues with a CS 336?

Buyer's remorse?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. I will probably buy from Center City in San Diego. Best deal on this model I've found.

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

i've had a maz jr. for a while and tried quite a few 336's (actually at Centre City, Saul's good guy). I think they would match up well once you got the guitar and amp vibrating.

actually, I found the Johnny A to be slightly nicer in terms of back woods and overall vibe. The 336's seem more like a hot-rodded 335 to me while the Johnny A might get some reall complex tones with the Maz. I've tried both models that have had some issues, but Gibson has never had a 100% track record. just takes a little work to get them really happening

killer gear regardless of your choice
    joe

3. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I've always liked the 336 too, though I've never played one. I've heard really good things about them. I remember a few years ago Garrett Park guitars did a run of them in natural and they had fantastic tops, those guitars were beautiful.

check out this thread http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152159

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What pickups were you happy with in your ES336?

I too am not overly thrilled with the 57 Classics - they have a nice vibe, but they just don't seem to cut through the rest of the band in thicker wood guitars. I do have a set in an Epiphone Emperor jazz box, though, and they work real nice in that configuration.

Thanks!

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Funny you should mention it, that is the second 336 I've ever seen and played, and even with rusty strings, it played like pure heaven. BTW, I think Beau Wagner there is putting some new strings on.

Problem is they're asking $2,300+, and they don't have a lot of wiggle room. It's a beautiful guitar, but has some headstock nicks and mild belt buckle wear on the back. My guess is they probably have too much invested in it.

Saul at Centre City, BTW, is selling brand new flame top CS 336's in the same price range once you factor in shipping from San Diego to Dallas.

I think with new strings, a Guitar Center customer will come along and fall in love with that guitar - it's a pretty incredible player, but unfortunately, I just can't do it.

Gracias for the heads up.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Funny you should mention it, that is the second 336 I've ever seen and played, and even with rusty strings, it played like pure heaven. BTW, I think Beau Wagner there is putting some new strings on.

Problem is they're asking $2,300+, and they don't have a lot of wiggle room. It's a beautiful guitar, but has some headstock nicks and mild belt buckle wear on the back. My guess is they probably have too much invested in it.

Saul at Centre City, BTW, is selling brand new flame top CS 336's in the same price range once you factor in shipping from San Diego to Dallas.

I think with new strings, a Guitar Center customer will come along and fall in love with that guitar - it's a pretty incredible player, but unfortunately, I just can't do it.

Gracias for the heads up.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I tried a Johhny A model at the last Dallas Guitar Show and was very impressed. Best way I can differentiate it from the CS336 is it's tone was more in focus. But for my quirky playing style, I kind of prefer the 336. I've owned three ES335s - it seems like the CS336 has taken the 335's rich, organic flavor and removed the "sometimes boxiness".

I know my opinion is tempered with infatuation, but since 1976, I've owned 335's, Les Pauls, a PRS Custom, a couple of Tele's, a handfull of Strat's, some acoustics, an Epi jazz box and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two others... The CS336 model is possibly one of the most awesome players I've ever picked up.

We'll see if it turns into true love in the weeks/months to come.

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I used to have a CS 336 and it was a wonderful guitar. It was a vintage sunburst flame and I ended up swapping the pups to Duncan Antiquities which made it the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I sold only because the slim 60's neck made my hand cramp up when I was playing rhythm, so it had to go. Really wonderful guitar. As for how it sounds with a Maz, I used to play a blues jam every week back home in Toledo OH and the guitarist in the house band used a Red Maz, and it kicked ass, I wouldn't even use any pedals with it and it sounded wonderful. Some of the best funk tones I've ever got, and then it would scream when I solo. The Antiquities were a great match. $2300 is pretty steep for a used one, I took a bath with mine when I sold it to a guy from Austin, you can buy them new for almost that price on musician's friend. If you like 60's necks they are wonderful, I know there are fat neck versions around, but I've never had the pleasure of playing one.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have heard that the quality of the CS 336 is excellent on the whole, and should match up well with a Dr. Z Maz38 Sr.

I was shopping for one for the last year, but ultimately settled on a 335 Memphis reissue. The 335 just falls short of where I'd like a jazz tone to be...unfortunately the 336 had the same issue, but slightly more so. Since all of my other guitars are solidbodies, I really wanted something that was passable for jazz.

Clearly the 336 is different, and in some ways better, although I don't think the carved body delivers on the Gibson hype. The smaller body does feel more comfortable than a 335 however, and performance wise it is closer to a LP than a 335, so if you're looking for a 335 with some LP flavor, the 336 is an excellent choice.

Since you have had a few 335s, it's clear that you can recognize the difference, and it seems that it offers something unique that you really like. If you found one that you think is "one of the most awsome players" that you have ever picked up, I think it's a no-brainer.

Jump on that bad boy before someone else does!

stratzrus

10. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've had a couple of 336s and a 356.

While I thought they sounded good tonally to me it was sort of a comprimise between a 335 and Les Paul. Not as deep and chunky as the les paul and not as sweet and fat in the mids as a 335, just somewhere in between the two. I sold the last one I had and kept the Les Paul and 335 instead.

Build quality was good on every one, typical Gibson CS quality.

I only had a couple of issues with them:
    1) I have large hands and it was cramped to get to the highest frets (the back of my hand would hit the body ear).
    2) the 356 I had was the one with the 50's neck and it was neck-heavy on the strap.

11. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I've had a 356 and I have a 336. The 356 was a fat neck profile and like FJS1962's, it too was neck heavy. I sold it after the first gig! Probably a combination of the extra neck wood plus the larger headstock.

I currently have a 336 (flamed, blond/amber color) with a 60's neck that is actually not as skinny as I thought it might be. It is a phenomenal playing and sounding instrument, capable of a wide variety of tones. It is also super light and comfortable to play for extended periods on a strap.

What I found was that putting .011s on it really brought it to life compared to .010s. It does seem to fall somewhere the middle of the LP and 335 - more note bloom and fatness than a LP and more attack than a 335.

The quality on mine is great, except the nut was cut very poorly and I had it professionally replaced with a bone nut and it took an already great guitar and made it better.

I think with a neck option for a rounded neck profile that was the same price as the regular neck profile, Gibson would sell all they could make.

12. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I bought a 336 when they first came out and it was a great guitar. Excellent build quality and tone. To me it sounded like a fatter and warmer 335. The neck was too thin for me so I wound up selling it and buying a semi-hollow Les Paul Elegant which I still have.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

My Number #1 player is a 61 SG reissue, with an even flatter neck profile than the 336, and it fits my wirey hands well.

My Les Paul is a 1960 neck, but not as extreme.

I like them both well, so hopefully the 336 will be a good fit.

14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Informal pole:

What pickups do you use in your 336?

Care to share any MP3 clips?

I'd be happy to return the favor for anyone considering WCR pickups for their SG <g>.

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Anyone ever get to try a Lee Roy Parnell 336? I had a chance to nab one for a great price and it slipped through my hands before I even got to the store to try it out.

16. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've always wanted to try one of these, what a great idea, I wish they would of had different colors. These guitars are great, the neck was my only hang up with them.

17. stratlad

stratlad Member

I used to own an ES 336. It was a very nice axe - with some 335 vibe but really a melding of an LP and a 335 as noted above. Mine was an early model and pretty bright (which I liked - very clear and sweet tones). I think if I had only one guitar I'd prefer this over a 335 but I think a GOOD 335 may sound a bit better for blues etc. (though IMO 336s have more consistent tonal quality - less risk you will get a loser). The neck on my ES 336 was very comfortable. The ES 336 also has a tummy cutaway and rear access to the pots and pickup switch (like an LP does) since it doesn't have a carved back). The current CS 336 models don't have this. You can find ES 336s (and CS 336s) used for decent prices.

I sold my 336 to finance a Johnny A purchase. I had an LP and wanted a guitar with a tone more distinct from the LP, which the Johnny A does. The Johnny A is more focused, detailed and jangly and has a kind of nice compressed natural sustain with the neck pickup. It has great musical twang in the mid and bridge pickup sounds withouth any harshness - almost cops some good strat/ tele-like tones. Costs more though.

Both the 336 and Johnny A have similarities (mahogany back, maple top) but the Johnny A is fully hollow and has a longer neck scale (like a strat) which gives it a fundamentally different tone. It's just a matter of taste - I think the 336 and Johnny A are 2 of Gibson's best new instruments and would love to have the budget to have another 336. :BEER

18. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

'Heard they had a very fat neck, something akin to the upper arm of a baseball bat.

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I like big necks :D Now I really feel bad!

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Yep, that Lee Roy Parnell model is rumored to have a FRIGGIN' TREE TRUNK of a neck.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

:rotflmao