CS '51 Nocaster Pickups DC Resistance

MrKite89

Hello everybody, I bought a FANTASTIC 2006 Nocaster (NOS) guitar in mint condition: just a gorgeous, resonant guitar full of tone! :)

Anyway, I have a question regarding the pickups: the guitar should be all original, and the pickups should be a Vintage Tele (neck) and a Custom NoCaster (bridge). The specs for dc resistance are respectively 7.7k (or 7.2k, Fender isn't clear about it) and 7.3k, but the ACTUAL resistance of my pickups is a very balanced 6.8k for both. My question is: are these "custom wound" pickups, made especially for this guitar, or just lower than average?
The dynamic range is outstanding, and the frequency response is very extended, makes my 2003 American Series Stratocaster sound dull and boxy in comparison! They have a lot of clarity...output is moderate, as expected, but TONE is surprisingly good! :D

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
You lose a little bit through the pots if you're measuring off the jack
Plus temp makes a difference

MrKite89

I've used this formula to take into consideration the volume pot:

R= (r*P)/(P-r)

Where
R = Actual resistance of the PU
P = Resistance of the volume pot
r = Resistance measured at the jack (it was reading 6.6k)

Measured at 22°C with 50% of humidity, it seems a pretty accurate method with my other guitars, the values are as expected, this one is lower...not a big deal, since it sounds fantastic, but I was wondering if they "custom wound" pickups for the Custom Shop guitars, while the "aftermarket" sets are more consistent...