CS 54 Relic Mastergrade, nice...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anje, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I thought it would be nice to make a thread on this guitar after the one on the Nocaster :)

so as I said on the Nocaster thread, I was more of a Gibson-like guy, until recently when I decided a couple fender guitars were missing in my tone department...

I found a few weeks ago this nice CS 54 "Mastergrade" Relic Strat :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nicely aged, it's a rather "light" relic

plays like a dream, the best Strat I have ever played (that includes one original 60's but that needed a refret :D ), and certainly one of the most resonnant guitar I have ever know

the 50's strat tone all the way

[​IMG]

I don't know many details about these "Mastergrade" series, only that they were only made for Japan, using the same material as the MasterBuilt ones, but done by a small group of the CS supervised by a Master Builder (then closed to a Team Built one there)
    About 30 of these 54 are supposed to have been made, the COA of mine is dated 2002

is there anyone else who experienced these "Mastergrade" guitars ? Would be interesting to share info on these ones :)

2. CS'56

CS'56 Member

That's a beautiful guitar. It looks a lot like my '55 CS Strat. Mines a Closet Classic. It's more aged than most Closet Classics.

3. HHB

HHB Member

nice axe! I used to think the relic thing was BS, then I played some, I'm sea foam grean w/ envy!

4. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Very nice I was like Bill I thought the whole Relic thing was hype but there are some very nice ones out there that feel fantastic. I'm not crazy about the ones that look like they've been dragged behind a car but a nice one like the one in the photos .Man that would be fun to play.

5. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks guys
    I was rather sceptical myself about relics too to be honest, but as soon as I played the first notes on that one all bad thougths were gone, only remained the pleasure to play a great guitar :)

6. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

7. FredW

FredW Member

I was turned off by the whole relic thing and never thought that I would ever be interested in such a thing until I got my Rory Gallager CS strat. It is simply amazing,I had it set up with heavyer strings and pleked and it is just as good or better than the vintage strats I have (65 and 71). I was about to start a thread about how good the stuff coming out of the custom shop lately really is. I turned to the smaller builders in the last few years like suhr,tyler and grosh, but this stuff coming out of the custom shop is awesome. You have a beautiful guitar

8. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

I would have to second that!!! nice !!!:D

9. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I have been wanting a relic..and now I see yours and know why!
    Awesome axe!

10. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I have been bitten by the bug as well. I had never bought into the Relic concept - however after reading various reviews and Forum commentary on the Relics I decided to purchase a Fender '54 Masterbuilt (Closet Classic style Relic).

I am immensely pleased with the guitar, very minor relicing, mostly in terms of a checked lacquer finish and a killer neck, light weight (7.6 lbs) and wonderful stratty tone. A guitar you just want to reach over and pickup! And I haven't been into Strat style guitars in years! I guess I am glad I waited.

-- Barr

[​IMG]

11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

it looks killer BPlexico :dude

yes, the feeling of these Relics make them really charming as soon as you put your hands on them...

12. BPlexico

And yours must sound killer thru that VOX! What year is that one?

-- Barr

13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

yes that sounds sweet :)

the Vox is an AC30 61 black panel head fitted in NCM repro cabs

btw I don't remember if I have allready posted it here, but played with that setup it absolutely kills! :

[​IMG]

(oops the strat changed into a tele :D )

BPlexico I had a look on your website, you have great LPs!
    But my favorite would have to be the Rossington SG. I wish I would have been able to grab one when they were still easily available...:(

14. BPlexico

Thanks! There have been a few changes to the guitars over the past year - not quite as many Les Pauls (well two less) - a few new ones (still need a good Tele though), and yes the Rossington SG is a really nice guitar. If you are still looking for one, let me know, I might know a very good dealer who still has a few....

Nice Fulltone TTE you have there, btw. How do you like it?

-- Barr

15. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Wish I could afford it.

But I like the one in this pic. Also a '54RI.

[​IMG]

16. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

BPlexico: thanks for the info on the Rossington, I may contact you one of these days, unfortunately I'm quite out of $$ right now

as far as the TTE is concerned I love it! great tone all the way, very warm, quiet, and a good amount of different settings
    the Stereo modes in particular are pure magic with 2 nice amps like the ones above

17. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

You've got a really nice strat. I like the way you can see the grain in the finish.

For me the relics were money well spent. Cheaper then looking for an actual 56 strat :). These are my two strats, both have been modified with 6105 frets, bone nuts, and pickups from WCR and Chapin.

[​IMG]

18. BPlexico

The 54 Masterbuilt I have is made of Ash as opposed to Alder which is why the grain pattern is so pronounced....happy with those WCR pickups - I have heard great things about them!

What Relic models are your Strats? Mine came with a bone nut stock...

-- Barr

19. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

Both are 56 strats. One is relic the other a closet classic. Neither had bone nuts stock, probably not "mastergrade" :).

Yah, the WCRs are really nice. I'm waiting for a RS kit that changes the pots and cap values to see what it does to the tone.

20. BPlexico

I have the same "problem" as you - one is never enough - I am trying to avoid pulling the trigger on another...but it would be nice to have another one to try different pickups and electronics with...The Masterbuilt is a Closet Classic, it was to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Strat - I believe the run is going to end up at ~ 2000 guitars...

-- Barr