CS 69 pickups no markings, which position?

Ape Factory

I have a set of unused CS69 pickups that I purchased from a forum brother. No labeling in terms of neck, middle and bridge. Strat voodoo is fairly new to me so learning as I go.

Ohm readings are 5.34, 5.36 and 5.48. Should I naturally put those in the neck, middle and bridge position based on ohm reading or is there magic to be had putting the higher output in the neck position?

I realize there may not be much difference at all but I wanted to check in with those in the know first.
Thanks!

ChrisB

I would put them in just as you say. There will be little difference as they are all the same practically.

Ron Kirn

I just got a set in today... I just read 'em on the VOM. all are 5.5 (give or take a crack). No RWRP for the mid, so it really doesn't matter...

all three had a little red dot on the top side of the bottom bobbin. I'm thinking they are all the same, which sounds 'bout right for CBS era shenanigans.

Ron Kirn

Ape Factory

LOL, I would agree. Yeah I was a bit surprised when I flipped them over and saw no markings. But then I decided to pull out the meter and take a few readings. I know some LP's, using PAF's put the higher ohm reading pickup in the neck position ala Jimmy Page. Didn't know if there was similar mystical logic with strats.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I know some LP's, using PAF's put the higher ohm reading pickup in the neck position ala Jimmy Page. Didn't know if there was similar mystical logic with strats.
that wouldn't have been any kind of logic, just random (essentially bad) luck.
and yeah, the 69s are just three of the same pickup, like it would have been back then.

and yeah, the 69s are just three of the same pickup, like it would have been back then.
That's my understanding. I have '69s in 2 Strats.
The Ohm readings should be very close between them. I'd put the hotter of the 3 in the bridge, but thats me.:beer

jimshine

Quality control had nothing to do with back at CBS. The specific position based on ohms readings was a product of the 70's aftermarket Fender later adopted. By the late 60's they had automated winders that rather consistently wound coils. The tolerances were very tight compared to earlier years. So they are very close to each other.

Grab a Pre-CBS Strat and you will find the higher reading pickups in any of the 3 positions. There was only one pickup made for Startocasters. One part number, no intention on calibration.

Trending Topics