• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

CS Fender Relics Prices!

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Okay I get the Fender brand thing, and one guy builds it. BUT$7k? REALLY?

I just put together a Woodtech Routing Alder Tele Body 4 lbs with comfort contours $175 shipped to me. I stained Antique White with Min Wax stains 2 small cans $10. 3M sandpaper different grades maybe $20 And finally used Wipe On poly and car wax buffing compunds maybe $30 total.

I used a Warmoth Fatback roasted maple and rosewood board neck $225 shipped to me as well. Used Tung Oil and Orange Oil $20.
Used Seymour Duncan Jazz neck humbucker $50, Cavalier Nashville Tele Bridge pickup $65. Kluson Vintage staggered tuners , Wilkensen Liscence bridge $25. And misc plates and knobs, and parts$75.

This for a grand total of around $700. And I had a Gig bag already,LOL!

I have owned real Vintage 1950s Fenders Teles, Esquires, Strats, when they were way under $500. That's how long I've been playing. And I'll put my Partscaster up against any Vintage or CS Fender Tele and WIN!
Not only is it better playing and sounding, it cost me 1/10th as much..

Sorry to rant kids, but Vintage and Fender CS guitars are fine, but not that great,LOL!

Surfreak

You are happy with your partscaster, I love my Fender CS guitars.
I wouldn't want your guitar, you - I guess - wouldn't want mine, and we are both happy with what we have.
It's a win win situation, let's keep rocking'.

Raymond Lin

I understand that Custom Shop quality, or just simply, quality goods comes with the price tag...but the ethos and the creation of the Fender guitars was that to simplifier guitar making to lower the price. The Custom Shop is a contradictory to that ethos in practice.

They are no doubt great guitars but the price charged to me are for the label and for the "finish", and finish is like art I guess and you can put any price tag on art.

Also, some of them are stencil...ahem

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-cus...s-stencilled-finishes-on-premium-instruments/

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
The point I'm trying to get across is first companies like Warmoth,etc have CNN machinery that make a great neck,body etc. every time! Especially if the wood selected is great to start and dried properly.

I'm 63 years old and have played pro my whole life. I never bought vintage guitars for the mystique,etc. In fact I always ended up refretting them or upgraded pots,switches etc that worked properly. They are tools, very cool ones. But they have to function first and foremost.

There were no Custom Shops or Paul Reed Smith who tried to improve the original designs. There were new and used guitars and ones famous Rock Stars played.
But the price for a 1958 Gold Top in 1975 was $1400. And the Fenders were all around $1k for maple necks and way less for 1960s versions.

While I certainly applaud Fender and Gibson for recreating their past instruments. There's a price point that is simply preying on the public imo.
And the fact that today's hobbys for the Dads of this generation,are Rock Roll paraphernalia etc. `

I generally agree that a $7,000 new Fender electric guitar does not appeal to me because a guitar doesn't really offer me $7,000 worth of enjoyment, compared to other things I could do with that much money. I will admit that I might be willing to save up and buy something that expensive if it is, say, a Brazilian rosewood 1960s Martin that really knocks my socks off. But that case, it's not only matter of the guitar providing me with a truly exceptional level of enjoyment, but that it also represents an item that will probably hold its value and possibly appreciate. I just don't see a $7,000 Fender custom shop guitar holding that kind of value. And finally, the ideal way to enjoy an electric guitar is to be able to leave it sitting out to play when you want, to not worry too much about minor dings and scratches, and to feel free to bang the snot out of it when you're playing it. I just don't think I could enjoy a $7000 guitar that way.

cuttyshark

I'm bored, and got me pondering:
If I buy a stock standard 2020 Strat, will it be as collectible/valueable, and, have "that tone" thing that a 1960 does, currently, in 60 years?

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I agree there are much better alternatives to CS Fenders. I was in a music store and fell in love with a '55 Journeyman Tele whiteguard, but it was $4200. I called up Clif at LA Vintage Gear and bought a Danocaster whiteguard for $2500 that smokes the CS Fender in finish, relicing, tone, and playability. I also own 3 K Lines that I think are superior to Fenders. I do like the real Fender headstock and decal, but a hight-quality, small builder is always going to have better quality and attention to detail than a big manufacturer, unless you pony up to the Masterbuilt. Even then, cost to quality is not proportional when you compare it to smaller builders. I own Fenders (vintage-no CS currently) and Gibsons, and I love them, but I play my K Lines and the Dano the most.

AnthonyL

Gold Supporting Member
7k is for a Master Built, and it will get discounted from there. My C/S 1960 Strat was under 3k and it’s one of the best Strats I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned 25 or so... If I get in a bind and have to sell it, I’ll recoup a decent amount. You won’t do that with a partscaster...

Fender C/S is currently putting out some of the best guitars in their history, IMO.

drri

Silver Supporting Member
7k is for a Master Built, and it will get discounted from there. My C/S 1960 Strat was under 3k and it’s one of the best Strats I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned 25 or so... If I get in a bind and have to sell it, I’ll recoup a decent amount. You won’t do that with a partscaster...

Fender C/S is currently putting out some of the best guitars in their history, IMO.
Was about to post pretty much the same thing.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have one masterbuilt tele that I bought used but barely played from a friend. It was somewhat of a gift that he gave me for the price I paid....which was far less than half! I have brokered a pile of guitars for him and repair/setup/check all of his. He has over 150....wait...149 now as I got one of them! My masterbuilt is nothing short of incredible and is one of a kind. I have 3 CS Fenders as well. One was used and the gent had no idea what he had and my other two were new from Fender CS with a custom mod on them that I requested. I love playing each and every one of them!

ThePunisher

I have bought 7 CS Telecasters since November 2019. I have also had them heavily modified after taking delivery of them. They've all been close to 5 grand each plus almost another grand with the mods. I have no issue paying that. We all like what we like. Worry about your gear and I'll worry about mine.

Trending Topics