1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

CS LP Jr or LP Jr faded?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, Nov 28, 2011.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Is the CS Les Paul Jr worth the extra scratch? I plan on a Jr being my next guitar purchase, but I don't want to spend the extra money if it is not justified. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

I have the USA Faded. Single cut, 2 piece body, compensated bridge, had to file the nut a little to get it to tune properly. 6 hundy and change. Helluva guitar. Played several RI's. More spec correct, non compensated bridge, one piece body, TV yellow a big plus, a little heavier than the USA I have. Great guitar. Love my USA but if I had the money to burn right now I'd get the RI.

3. hank

hank Member

They're all pretty good but I really like my Historic Special a lot more than previous USA Specials and Juniors I've had. The feel, weight and tone do it for me.

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I have a new gloss one...It's awesome!

5. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Completely agree with this. I owned several recent standard Juniors & Specials & was never thrilled with any of them... until I got an '06 Historic Jr. earlier this year.

You can find them for under $1500, which is very reasonable IMHO.

6. belair

belair Member

I just got a new gloss Jr. for $699. I considered a Historic first and almost pulled the trigger, but then got to thinking. No telling how many pieces of mahogany it is under the opaque TV Yellow nitro, but you can't see it and tonally it doesn't matter. Of course the Historic details are not there but in my mind it's every bit as much a Jr. philosophically as were the originals. One P90 in a hunk of mahogany, covered in nitro. What's not to like for $699.? And oh yes, the P90 is exactly the same as the one in the Historic.

I'd love to have a Historic myself, but that being said I'd put money on the average guy's inability to tell the difference consistently in a blind listening test. No chance the results would be materially different than the flip of a coin.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. ifines

ifines Member

I really like my Historic Special a lot more than previous USA Specials and Juniors I've had. [​IMG]

8. SFW

SFW Member

The biggest problem with the USA Standards I've seen is that I want a vintage burst... and you can clearly see the damn seams on the standard models. I know it shouldn't really matter, but I just have a hard time getting around that.

9. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

I played one of the new glossy pelham blue Juniors, and whatever they're making fretboards out of seems to shrink. I checked a new LP Studio 60s Tribute, and found the same thing: the width of the fretboard is just ever-so-slightly narrower than the width of the neck, so there's this ridge that runs the entire length of the board/neck join.

No such issues on the older, satin cherry version of the Junior (rosewood board), but it costs $200 more...

10. seth3

seth3 Member

You know, I keep getting tempted by the CS Gibsons, but there is one key spec that they didn't get right:

- The Juniors and Specials - the originals - were the student and workingman guitars and their prices were consistant with that.

As awesome as the CS's are (and I've played a bunch), they just don't sound 3, 4, 5x's better, but they cost tons more.

For my money, USA Specials/Jr's, if you wait for the right one, can be awesome.

YMMV

11. muddyboots

muddyboots Member

when i plug my new '57 reissue junior in...the huge ballsy tone, the light weight, the fat comfy neck, the balance...i forget all about what i paid:).

12. SFW

SFW Member

whoa... I must have misread the price tag on the CS... I thought it was $1200, and not $2200. I'll stick to the rosewood board USA version. I can't justify $2200 for a Jr... kinda defeats the original intent of the model.

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

IMO, the best bang for the buck Junior is the Billie Joe signature (as long as you can handle the 60's neck, which I happen to like)

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

$1200 - $1500 used

15. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the BJA.

16. Johnny Alien

A used BJA is easily the best value in a Junior. If I couldn't get one of those then I would shoot for a slightly older gloss finished Junior. They made them that way before they started selling them faded. The new gloss ones are OK but I am still not keen on the obeche fingerboard and I am not a fan at all of the faded finish on any Gibson.

17. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

The BJA is a nice guitar, but I personally don't like the stock pup & would need to spend $100/+ for an upgrade to a real P90, plus the neck profile of the Historic (50's) is preferential to me vs. the 60's style neck on the BJA. This Historics are ridiculously expensive new, IMHO, but you can get great deals on them used.

18. Johnny Alien

The only way to get the classic big neck is a Historic. They tend to be reasonably priced when bought used. I happen to like the BJA pickup. It sounds very close to a standard P-90 really. The P-100 is the really questionable pickup. But you can buy a Gibson P-90 for dirt cheap and they are fantastic pickups.

19. tiptone

tiptone Member

I played a Pelham Blue Jr and a Studio 60s Tribute in GC last weekend. The Junior had several finish flaws, but didn't have the fretboard issue you mention. The Studio had a slightly better finish, but did have the shrinking fretboard. There was no way I would have bought the Studio but the Junior played and sounded good.

20. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have just get Jr Faded in Satin Cherry.

I was astonished how well this guitar played, light, resonant and comfortable :aok
    Add 1-piece body, low price and You have a winner!

Here it is:
    [​IMG]