CSN&Y or The Eagles

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dave Shoop, Aug 20, 2019.

Favorite vocals

1. Eagles

56 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. CSN&Y

83 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

To me, the Eagles were always purveyors of very “safe” music. Lyrically, vocally, instrumentally, and even in their production, they always seemed more calculated than inspired. CSNY, on the other hand, sounded like four guys pushing each other to take bigger artistic risks. They get my vote, hands down.

Boris Bubbanov and Tidbit like this.
  2. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    as far as the Eagles go I only like Joe Walsh (also I have to admit I like the song Heartache Tonight) so I can dig In the City and Those Shoes and I admire the riff of Life in the Fast Lane, and I would also listen to Life's Been Good from the live album, but besides those I just get severe instant attention deficit disorder ... I do like Take It to the Limit as well but that's it for me .... I never bought an Eagles record in my life but I saw them summer '77 Miami Baseball Stadium on the Hotel California tour ....

Crosby, Stills & Nash/Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are much better for me, I bought the first album, Deja Vu, 4 Way Street, and So Far, saw them at Madison Square Garden and also at a Bridge School benefit show, the MSG show was fantastic ... Neil has always been amazing live for me, seen him six times at least

Long Time Gone, Wooden Ships, Carry On, Teach Your Children, Almost Cut My Hair, Helpless, Woodstock, Deja Vu, 4 + 20, Country Girl, Ohio, Find the Cost of Freedom

burned out on Suite: Judy Blue Eyes years ago

I love Neil Young, especially with Crazy Horse, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest, Time Fades Away, On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, Zuma, American Stars 'N Bars, Decade, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust, Hawks & Doves, Reactor, Freedom, Ragged Glory, Weld, Sleeps With Angels, Broken Arrow, Year of the Horse, Psychedelic Pill, Roxy (Tonight's the Night Live), Hitchhiker, Tuscaloosa ....

a minimum of 24 albums that I love, really love, so the Eagles versus Crosby, Stills, Nash & sometimes Young debate is secondary, I love Neil Young ......

but Ohio, Woodstock, and Helpless, and Deja Vu, Wooden Ships, Carry On, and Almost Cut My Hair are also lodged strongly in my brain forever, every note

Ohio alone blows away everything the Eagles ever did, in my personal opinion

the Eagles are massively popular, it cannot be denied, but they have no cultural meaning for me

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    tawtaw and roadfilm like this.
  3. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Ever listen to Visions? And I’d have to disagree anyway, can’t say I liked Leadon’s lead vocals .

4. murraythek

murraythek Member

Both are fantastic bands with timeless songs built around the turmoil that brought them together and eventually tore them apart.

Slight nod to The Eagles.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I always liked the Eagles, can still remember where I was when I first heard “Hotel California” and they had solid, excellent songs. But they also were a little too slick for me.

CS&N I also loved from first hearing them. I’ve seen them live twice, once they were terrible...I suspect drugs and maybe bad sound system...and they were pissy when playing Chicago and the crowd demanded the song they named it in. Second time I saw them (took a chance because I still loved their music) they were amazing and perfect in all ways. It was a true experience.

Not saying they are deeper, but they seem deeper. As someone said, more organic.

I forgot, I saw them a few years ago again...but they have lost a lot. Stills specially was pretty bad on his solos, but the rest of them still gathered around him and were cheering him. It was a little sad but actually...still worth the ticket.

I go with CS&N but I don’t really do competitions in music. To me it is always apples and oranges...meaningless.

6. rednoise

rednoise Member

The Eagles were more refined as harmony singers, but I prefer the sense of danger and edge-of-chaos of CSNY's vocals and music in general.

7. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

Don’t own any Eagles recordings, but one of my 2 prize possessions is my late stepfather’s vinyl of Deja Vu (the other being his copy of Tommy, book intact). ‘Nuff said.

8. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

The Dude hates the f*&%$#@ Eagles, man.

jiml and Mudshark60 like this.
  9. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

Great question really. CSNY was more socially relevant and it seems like they embraced their role more than making money (Eagles). However head to head I'd probably rather put on an Eagles record.

I had the opportunity to play in a CSNY tribute band for about a year and had several gigs. We had three singers (one was lead guitar) that just nailed it and I had a lot of "oh wow" moments in rehearsal and on stage. Our lead guitar guy did the Steven Stills vocals so I took lead for those songs. Playing "Almost Cut My Hair" was a blast - most of the audience weren't familiar with the song but loved it and it's fun to play. I never could convince them to cover "Bluebird".

10. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Calling the Eagles too perfect is Insanity, especially when they pull it off 97% live!!

Crosby stills Nash & Young... many performances way off in harmony, they're periodically stoned in early and mid career stuff, they meander etc

11. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

The Eagles' stated purpose was to make money, and their songs were tailor-made for radio. I don't mean that in a negative way; they were skilled at writing songs that were slick and catchy without being vapid (for the most part). CSNY were more interested in personal expression; although they had the odd light-hearted song, they mainly wrote about politics or things happening in their personal lives.

The Eagles were great at hitting pitch on stage, something which generally can't be said for CSNY (though CSNY's live albums are not as tight as many of the tapes out there). However, the Eagles' harmonic blend was not as interesting (IMO) as CSN, which is among the most unique vocal sounds in pop music. The Eagles primarily tried to replicate the studio recordings in concert, though Eagles Live is slicker than the real shows because it's mostly overdubs. CSNY were more interested in baring their souls on stage, and while they did have lengthy acoustic sets, they also rocked a lot harder than the Eagles ever did.

Northerner likes this.
  12. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

My stated purpose once I became 18 was to make money to buy home and to buy lots of Skittles.

The hippie aesthetic anti The Man and anti-money and all that silliness is a "poof!" in all the dope smoke and all those silly dreams

The Eagles worked their butts off, not that CSny didn't.

Probably the big difference between the two is the Eagles could pulled off most of the time live.

The other boys, maybe half to 60% of the time

John 14:6, noley and RobBottom69 like this.
  13. Val Diaz

Val Diaz Member

A novelty act?? Wow... I know it's all subjective but but CSNY were one of the biggest and most important rock bands of the 70s. And Neil Young is "a singer who played a little guitar"...? Seriously?

For what it's worth (pun intended) I love 'em both but CSNY shades it.

pak1001 likes this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I definitely prefer the Eagles. Their harmonies always sounded more accurate, to my ears. It didn't hurt that their music generally had a harder edge to it that also appealed to me.

15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Eagles, because of this:

drlucky likes this.
  16. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

CSN and especially Y. Not even close in my eyes.

tawtaw likes this.
  17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

In my view, who a person chooses between these two bands tells you a lot. And this is not to dump on either band. To the contrary, both were/are great. But they are very different, hence my observation.

Give me CSN&Y any day.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

^^^
    And while you're at it, also give me the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airman, Country Joe & the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, and The Lovin' Spoonful.

In fact - and this is NOT a "who's better" statement but rather a "who I prefer to listen to" one - I'd sooner hear any of these other bands than the Eagles.

19. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

That's why I used the word "favorite" and not who is better. I enjoy both. Out of Jon's list of the many bands he prefers over the Eagles (lol), The Band is right near the top of my "favorites". Their harmonies are very unique and outstanding as well. I think many people probably think of the Eagles, CSN&Y and the Beach Boys when they first think of multiple harmonies being sung by bands. Just my guess not based on any survey.

After reading the CSN&Y book I'd say those guys can give any Eagle a run for their money as far as being not likeable people. But I digress. I've heard and seen so many bad live performances of live CSN&Y shows, I mean really bad that I had to go back to the studio versions to remember how great they were.
    I don't know if I've ever seen a You Tube video where the Eagles were so out of tune vocally.

20. Little Larry

Little Larry Supporting Member

Eagles, in spite of this.

jiml likes this.