CTS Alnico speakers in Vibrolux Reverb? (Love em in a super reverb)

Gravelrocks

I'm a big fan of the CTS alnico speakers in a Super Reverb. For me they're the perfect volume, and have a sweetness to them that sounds particularly amazing with my old strats. I've been considering picking up 2 more and throwing them in my Vibrolux Reverb. I currently have a Celestion Gold and a Reverend Alltone 1030 in my VR, which sounds awesome.. but I'm thinking that maybe I could get get a "mini super" out of my VR if I put some CTS alnicos in there. Obviously there would be less bottom end, but has anyone tried this combination, and if so, how were the results? Also should there be any concern about blowing the CTS alnicos out in a vibrolux? Not sure what the power rating is on them, but I'm guessing maybe only 15 watts. Would love to hear some opinions!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Have you tried running your vibrolux through the Super CTS speakers? Vibrolux should be able to handle a 2ohm load. You could also try disconnecting 2 speakers in the super and running the vibrolux through those to get an idea.

swiveltung

Yeah try them out. A 4 x 10 pushes a lot of bass, the V lux with only 2 might not. You are at the margin on wattage also... but might be fine. Too bad... I just sold a couple '68's.

uriahh1

Love them in my SF super reverb also. Not sure if they might get flubbed out in 2x10 config. Maybe not blown out, but,..

silver surfer

I replaced the CTS alnicos with Webers in my 66 Super Reverb for fear of blowing them. I use one now in a cab with a PR and a DR at lower volumes. Love those speakers, but would hesitate to put them in the VR for fear of blowing them - but that's just me. You have two of my favorite speakers in there now. The only thing from my experience is that they both have an enhanced mid-range compared to American speakers - which can be a good thing. If you wanted a more American tone - go with Jupiter, WGS, or Weber. Otherwise, I'm sure your amp sounds awesome with that speaker combination.

vibrasonic

Not sure how they would sound in your vibrolux but I put one in my 64 white knob princeton and it sounds wonderful.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
re Wattage rating - OI am not sure how close CTS speakers are rated. I will say that I had a pair of Weber P10Rs in my '69 Vibrolux Reverb and blew them. I would be nervous pushing a VR with 15 watt rated speakers.

Trending Topics