CTS Alnicos in Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Apr 6, 2015.

1. telewacker

telewacker Member

Does anyone know the wattage rating for these speakers? I just picked up a '68 SR with them. They really sound great.

2. zenas

zenas Member

No clue. But whatever the original rating was it's meaningless now due to the age of the speakers.
    In other words there's no telling what they've been through over the years. Stored in a humid basement or cooked in an attic.

What I do with old speakers is use them. If they go bad get them reconed. Also been able to fix a many of them just by reglueing because a lot of times it's just dried out glue causing the issue.

Some guys put them in a box and use new speakers. My thought is if they break fix them. Unless you prefer new speakers of course.

3. telewacker

telewacker Member

Oh yeah I'm playing them. I've repaired plenty of small rips in cones with a single ply of paper towel front and back with Elmers glue. Works like a charm.

I had a SFSR with JBLs...hated them, I hate the 12" JBLs too...and replaced them with THD ceramics. I also had a '65 SR with the original ceramics though I'm not sure what they were. This amp sounds better than either. I attribute it to the CTS alnicos.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yep, those alnicos are great. I had a set of 4 reconed a few years ago for a super. Orange County Speaker in LA did them perfect. Those guys are great at keeping them original. They sounded good right out of the box. They did all 4 in 8 days total including shipping! (I live west coast also)

5. telewacker

telewacker Member

Yes I have used them before and they are excellent.

A buddy says he knows a guy in Texas with a supply of the original cones who rebuilds them. That might be something to consider too.

6. zenas

zenas Member

I like the CTS alnicos myself. Did an Ampeg Rocket for a guy (bout a 66 nonverb) that had a 12" CTS alnico in. I really liked that speaker ! Not so dammed loud like new stuff so you can turn the amp up more.

JBLs? Yeah I'm kind of over the JBL thing myself.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

The original CTS in the Rockets and Reverberockets were 15 watt ceramics even though
    they had what looked like an AlNiCo bell.

I think in the Supers those are max safe @15-20 watts each ???
    The 32 Ohm CTS AlNiCo's in my SVT were only rated like 25 watts each.

When Weber reconed the original '64 CTS 15 watt ceramic to my Reverbocket,
    I had him beef up the voice coil to handle 30 watts.

Don't get over confident with those old speakers.
    It was $85.00 plus round trip shipping for the recone.