CTS Pots vs. Generic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gillman royce, Feb 2, 2012.

1. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Need some input please. I don't swap pots much but I need to replace a volume pot which I will do with a CTS. My question is whether to ' match ' the generic tone pot with a CTS or just leave it as is. I would not be changing values - just wondering about quality, ' magic ', etc. Someone mentioned getting rid of ' dime sized ' pots which got me thinking and hence this thread. I know what I'm letting myself in for but - is larger better ?LOL !

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

It's the industry standard pretty much, how's that?:)

3. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I had the cheaper pots on my mexican strat, I upgraded all the wiring and pots when i did pickup and pickguard swap. The CTS are better IMHO, they operate more smoothly, and the volume now works from 1 to 10 now rather than 6 to 10 like it used to. I think you cant go wrong with em, and a small investment too.

4. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

THX !

5. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Really? Your new CTS pots are better than the CTS pots that came in your guitar(unless your MIM is a real old one or one of the Squire labeled ones)? How so? What makes them better?

6. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

It's a 93' Squier Mexican, and were the dime sized pots, they weren't CTS. And like I said, the Volume pot is way smoother and operates as it should now. Before it sounded as the volume didn't start to function until I was nearly 3/4 the way up.