Cubase SE = $99!?!?!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

is this for real?

anyone try it? for $99, not too shabby of a deal, especially given its pedigree.

Steinberg Cubase SE

2. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

retail is $129 - $149, you may be thinking of the studio bundle that is ~$599 MSRP

the academic version, if you qualify, is ~$74 or so.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

well,

what dya think about it? that much better than those cheesy Cakewalk Home Studio packages?

4. tedm

Which is a good program, I think even lower end than Cubase SE but it came free with my sound card. I haven't tried Cakewalk Home Studio.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

From what I understand the new version of SE - like this one - is based on the Cubase SX/Nuendo sound engine which is a very very good sounding program; far and away sonically superior in every way to the Cubase VST of the past.

I used VST for years; the SX/Nuendo versions out now are vastly improved over their predecessors.

I don't know the limitations of SE vs. SX; but can say that I absolutely love working with SX whilst I absolutely hated working with VST. :D

I know nothing of the lower end offerings from Cakewalk.

6. tedm

The problem with SE for me is that it's limited to 96khz. The Cubasis VST, at least the bundled one with the EMU1212m does 192khz fine, which I need.