Cubase SX Backup

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by The Usual, Apr 20, 2005.

1. The Usual

The Usual Guest

This is probably more of a computer question, and the dumbest one of the day for sure, but ......

How do I back up my stuff to CD when working in Cubase SX. I have about 20 songs and I don't want to lose them. I know how to do audio mixdowns and burn the songs, but how do I save the actual entire file to disk? Is it as easy as it looks? Do I just go into the working songs folder and copy each file named the song, then paste that to the CD? Or are there associated folders that have to go with it?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What you think is what you do. It is that easy.

:D

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Just a thought...

Backing up to CD is a royal pain and you end up with stacks of CDs. The only advantage is that it's cheap. An incremental tape backup system is very un-sexy expense but it makes your life much easier and can be a real lifesaver.

4. The Usual

The Usual Guest

Thanks for the help. So to clarify, as long as copy the file from the working songs folder, it will include all of the related files that go with it? I'm not a computer dude, but I know that for every song I have, there are files all over the place that are associated with it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a step and backing up only a portion of the file.

5. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Get yourself a Lacie firewire/USB desktop drive. It will
    cost about 200 to 300 dollars. Then just drag and
    drop the files you want to back up.

6. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

A dvd burner is what you need. For those files- youll need the project file with edit files as well as the audio files. Much info

I tried doing this with cd but it would take two -three discs for just one project.

7. The Usual

The Usual Guest

Thanks guys. I think a DVD burner is the way to go for me. I suspected that there would be more than one file each project. I guess I better get on it. I have 20 projects on the go, and I'm filling up fast!

8. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

yeah, just double check to make sure it loads before you wipe any data...
    Ive done that. not fun.