Cube 40GX vs. Fender Mustang II

martyncrew

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been looking for a 30-40w practice amp with built-in modeling and I got the chance to test the Cube 40GX and Mustang II side-by-side with my own guitar at mid-level volumes in one of the local guitar stores. For me, the Cube won hands down. Here's my opinion of why that is:

1. The Cube's 10" speaker projected really well and had none of the muddiness that I heard in the Mustang
2. Even though the Mustang has a 12" speaker, it didn't sound any louder than the Cube.
3. The Cube's effects were better - duh, they're the classic Boss effects
4. The effects switching was faster and quieter on the Cube
5. The controls on the Cube were SO much easier - setting up anything except amp models was hard on the Mustang
6. The Cube has 3-band vs. the 2-band EQ on the Mustang and the controls (especially the mids) make a big difference
7. With the added FS-6 footswitch you effectively have a 3 channel amp (JC for clean + 2 other tones/levels)
8. Finally, the JC clean is just the best - full bass, lush mids, and high-end sparkle and just the right of dwell on the reverb and chorus

Price-wise, the local store price matched online prices without me even having to ask. Even though the Cube was $50 more ($249 vs $199) it's still a screaming deal for a 40W amp of this quality.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Martyn, nice review!
FWIW
I bought my Cube 40GX and have owned a Fender Mustang II in the past.
Mustang didnt do it for me, and I flipped it.
Regarding the Cube, I would second all of your comments / reviews too.
I wish the Cube 40 GX has a XLR output, but for the price you can't miss.
And the FS-6 footswitch really makes this a nice little grab and go amp for small coffee house gigs.
It takes an expression pedal which I am using for volume.

bluesking55

if U USED THE FUSE SOFTWARE, THERE IS A ADVANCED FEATURE.. MAX THE BIAS AND MIN. THE SAG, I HEARD OPENS UP ALL THE AMP MODELS
IDK

Trending Topics