Cube Street EX vs. Alto TS110 for Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by aruark1, Apr 27, 2016.

1. aruark1

aruark1 Member

I have the alto, but kind of GASing for the cube Street since my son punched holes in the speaker of my micro cube and left me ampless! I figured it would be a good balance between grab and go when I don't want to go full helix and fairly flat for Helix monitoring/keyboards. Anyone have any experience amplifying a modeler with one? I think I saw where @Elantric did...

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I have not used the Cube Street, but for $500 you could get a lot better speaker for your buck... Yamaha DXR, K10, etc. Are you playing out? Maybe you want a set of studio monitors?

massless and aruark1 like this.
  3. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Cube Street EX works well - remember its a versatile amp that can run 100% on battery power and can work as a PA, and takes DSP guitar modelers very well. the Speakers are very efficient, keeps up with a live drummer well and its stereo.

True -those have more SPL, but will require AC power and are mono (buy two for stereo)

Many point out Cube Steet EX's stereo field won't be large since the speaker are so close together - I point out the advantage is that , you still can retain all stereo presets on your DSP modeler of choice, and use the EX as a stereo stage monitor while feeding stereo signals to house PA

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    yanakosk, rsm, aruark1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

Although I don't have a Helix, I do have a Cube Street EX, and occasionally use it with my Zoom G3 and Axe XL+. It is a cool little amp. I bought it because of the variety of inputs, on-amp level controls for all inputs, it's stereo, it does fairly well on batteries, and I figured it would also double as a stellar bluetooth or Chromecast Audio speaker if I wanted. In general, I do have somewhat of a difficult time getting a good eq. The stereo line inputs seem to lack some natural low end (although if you push low end content, it reproduces it quite well). The Mic or Guitar channels are only mono in, and don't really sound good at all with the G3 or Axe as a front end. There's also no gain knob....just some preset drive levels. Once the Line Ins are eq'd on the G3 or Axe end, they do sound pretty darn good to my ears..but I haven't tried an Alto.

I'd put it more in the category of 'expensive, easily portable jam solutions' rather than a full blown rig....

RR

Elantric and aruark1 like this.
  5. aruark1

aruark1 Member

Yeah the lack of gain is a head scratcher, especially since the regular Street cube has it. I think I just like the idea of having a stereo frfrish rig that can also be a backup, or standalone if I'm jamming acoustic or sans helix.... Also the battery thing would be cool and my micro cube was an energy efficient wonder! Honestly assuming the street ex would spend most time on 20 watt mode, maybe even eco.

@Elantric if you build a patch in headphones do you find you're way off on the cube? Or is it just like any other powered frfr in terms of minor Fletcher Munson adjustments?

6. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

FWIW, I also have a Microcube - and the amp voicing seems to be very different. As an example, I use some patches on my G3 into the Guitar input on the Microcube set to JC Clean. Those same patches into the Guitar input on the EX set to Clean sound astoundingly bad - thin and without body. Put into the Line Ins on the EX, and resetting the G3 to Direct (as opposed to Combo In), they sound much better/closer. I don't use the Aux in on the Microcube because of the lack of volume control, so I don't remember how it compares.

Also, battery life on the EX is nowhere near as good as the Microcube, even on Eco. However, it is still quite a bit better than I would have imagined from AA batts. Without knowing, I would have guessed 'D' cells...but then again, I use it mostly at bedroom volumes.

Just some additional info....
    RR

aruark1 likes this.
  7. Elantric

Cant get around the Fletcher Munson effect. I use the final EQ in AXE-FX and adjust EQ there to taste for the venue, and feed the Cube Street EX's Stereo Line Line inputs on top far right
    [​IMG]

NamaEnsou, aruark1 and RafterRattler like this.
  8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

How effective is the stereo in a live setting - do you get enough separation to hear the stereo effects?

aruark1 likes this.
  9. Elantric

It works fine - but Who cares? - Its simply a stereo guitar stage monitor that can be standalone at small room gigs , but allows you to retain and use your stereo patches all the time, so you can retain stereo feed when you want to also feed the FOH PA, no need to change your Axe-FX patches to mono with resulting Stereo to mono phase cancellation issues.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  10. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I already have an Alto 110, but I've been thinking about a Cube Street because it's lighter and the stereo thing. Not sure I really need to spend the money, though, but a good stereo tone might push me over the edge :)

aruark1 likes this.
  11. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

Just to add my opinion....the speakers are pretty close together. The stereo FUNCTIONS well, but get more than a few feet away and the separation is lost - at least in my experience. I have found that you can replicate the Blackstar ID:Core superwide stereo pretty nicely (at least close up) by using a mono delay and setting one channel out of phase in the Axe. It's pretty cool...

RR

12. aruark1

aruark1 Member

I just love the idea of 16lbs, the option for battery, the backup basic modeling, and stereo. Also I bet it kills at campfires for mp3 playing... Damn you GAS!

13. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

That it does....and like I said, it's nice that all the inputs have on-amp vol controls. Also, even though the gain knob is missing, the basic models are pretty nice. I actually love the lead tone.

RR

aruark1 likes this.
  14. aruark1

aruark1 Member

You're supposed to talk me off the cliff man, you're not helping! Crap. Wife is gonna be pissed.:eek:

15. aruark1

aruark1 Member

16. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

Well it looks like you need two for stereo, and no battery operation. That's bound to make those campfires a little quieter...

RR

aruark1 likes this.
  17. aruark1

aruark1 Member

I do like the Bluetooth stereo link, if it works well.... I'm just gonna go play through my ts110 and relax for a while....

18. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

So I finally picked up a Street Cube EX. It is at least as loud as the Alto TS110 (at least for the volumes I play at), so that's nice. I think it sounds spectacular for clean tones, but whenever I try a distorted tone, it seems to get all honky and nasal. Any tips on setting the global EQ on the Helix to tame the honkiness?

aruark1 likes this.
  19. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

can't tell you how the Helix is gonna sound into a Roland Street . . . but I will tell you how I couldn't live without mine
    super versatile, light, indestructible, sounds great straight in in the "JC" mode - heck, I've recorded a beautiful strat tone with the JC emulation straight into a Shure beta 57a

. . . wait a minute - isn't this the "digital & modeling" forum ? Isn't this amp by itself a "modeler" . . . ?

20. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

One of my rationalizations for picking it up is that I could use the amp modeling for a backup if my Helix ever crapped out on me. And it does sound really good for clean patches. For some reason, it just sounds very different when I'm playing dirt. I need to figure out how to tune that nasal frequency out.