1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cult cover inside: "Lil' Devil"

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by MuseCafeChris, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

2. twitch

twitch Member

Cult tribute band, very cool. The track sounded good, the singer has his work cut out for him though.

I'll definitely have to check out the tunes on the myspace site, as the song list has some of may favorite Cult songs, ie Phoenix and anything from Sonic Temple.

3. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

cool idea...its time to bring back this stuff!

The chords are almost too smooth, compression and gain wise. The two gtrs together were morphing into a pseudo-hammond-Styx-"blue collar man" sound...You may have to break down and invest in the Marshall to get that "shattering glass" power chord...:dude

you guys have the song nailed, almost too well. Duffy was sloppy at times. You may have to dumb down your skills a bit to pay "tribute" to him. :cool:

dude...I'd love to see an all-out Cult tribute band, swingin the long black hair, the white falcon...the whole nine, go for it!!

4. MuseCafeChris

Yeah the guys who put the band together (lead player, drummer) are really into the gained-out sound of the "Music Without Fear" DVD, a live show recorded in 2001. Plus we're doing stuff from the entire catalog, including the cock rock stuff (Sonic Temple, Ceremony) and the drop-D stuff (Beyond Good and Evil). So tonally, we have to cover a lot of bases, and given today's musical climate, erring on the heavier side seems to be the way to go. But yes, we probably should have backed off the gains a bit for this cut.

Thanks for the replies, though, guys! Good comments all. Keep 'em coming!

5. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Wow pretty cool, Sonic Temple (every song on the CD is a keeper) is in my car CD player right now...I was in a band that covered Fire Woman, and Sweet Soul Sister. Fantastic stuff!

-SF

6. MuseCafeChris

Did/do you like "Ceremony" at all? A very underrated album in my opinion, in the same style as ST but I think the grunge explosion killed it, along with all other things cock rock. "Wild Hearted Son" kicks ass, and at our last rehearsal we did a version of "Earth Mofo" that was just flat-out ripping!

7. Erik

Erik Member

+1.

8. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I have to admit, I had never hear The Cult before I joined the last band I was in (I'm a an old dude that seems to have missed the 80's). I have only heard Sonic Temple...what would be your suggestion for next in line?...like I said I like every song on ST.

-SF

9. MuseCafeChris

"Ceremony" is a great one with a much similar sound as ST. "Electric" is a classic that you can't go wrong with either, but sonically it's closer to an old AC/DC album than a big '80s arena rock album.

10. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Man, you just made my morning! Last time I remember hearing that song, I was in high school, making out with a hot gothic chick.
    Ahh memories :BEER