1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Cult of the Well-Hung StrapLab

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by TVvoodoo, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Up with the chickens this morning, had to box up a Devil's Leash, send to BC. Also wanted to finish the tooling on this one... So it can sit for a day....heading to the lake later for a little family picnic thing.
    [​IMG]

At this point I'm are calling the carving/tooling 90% done. Now we have to bring the moisture content way DOWN on these pieces prior to dying the leather, so it soaks in real good. It's outside blowing in the morning sun and gentle breeze as I write this. We are going to try for a modified colour version from the original, a cherry sunburst sort of effect.

Happy Fourth of July my 'Merican friends, don't let the haters get you down.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    R3deemed and sonofspy like this.
  2. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

#5 Well-Hung loose replica of the Allman Mountain strap, continues.

Lotta staining and painting, waiting for dry time over the past few days. Plus, dealing with some sudden medical stuff going on with my mother a little bit has slowed things down, but I am pleased to report we have summited! Dark parts have been filled with stain, the stars and moon painted with a few coats. Now we condition and treat it for a long beautiful life. First oil it carefully with two thin coats, to help replenish and preserve the natural oils in the leather. This changes the colour just a little bit, but as it soaks into all the fibers and cells, it will lighten up in colour again over time.

[​IMG]

The original version is not padded. I try to make the Well-Hung version as comfortable as possible, and add lining and padding, and carefully stitch it all together with heavy duty poly upholstery thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burnish the edges, punch strap holes in the front and back end for strap attachmentification, punch some more holes for the feature brass ring, held in by a couple flap-overs and a pair of brass Chicago Screws. Use a dab of white glue inside the threads, so the owner can still take it apart if they wish, but it minimizes the chance they will loosen under normal use.

[​IMG]

Two coats of satin sheen, which locks everything down, dye etc. The a coat of mink oil/silicone boot treatment. .... Done!
    Every one of these turns out a bit different, this strap is destined for a quilted Knaggs (I believe) tele in similar burst as the acoustic below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Callooh! Callay! The fiercely snicker-snacking Jabberwock has been slayed!

[​IMG]

I was blessed with some of the hide - four fierce straps were constructed to commemorate this Frabjous Day!
    (ok, it's really just some extra cool cowhide). Spot on strap to tie in with your tort pickguard, 3" wide nicely padded.
    Corduroy lining to defeat neck dip

[​IMG]

4. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Excellent straps... love the Basket Case!!!!!!!

TVvoodoo likes this.
  5. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

New in the Well-Hung reverb store... 1969 "Time of the Season."

[​IMG]

Beautiful metallic embroidered paisley on black leather. Padded, 3" wide. Two of them is all there will ever be.
    If you have a sudden Reverb aversion, there may be another way. I'll let you figure it out. But do go there for many more photos and a wealth of information on this strap, others and how end-users are handling the advantages of being suddenly Well-Hung.

V V See Below V V

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    R3deemed likes this.
  6. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

No new strappin's for a bit sorry!! Enjoying a family roadtrip through the Banff Jasper Parkway in Alberta... snapped this after a hike into Moose Lake this morning

[​IMG]
    Should be back to regular business in a couple days.

R3deemed likes this.
  7. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Back in the shop, over the break some new material arrived, I was excited to worth with this again. Black 'n Tan amp grillcloth from my friends at mojotone!

[​IMG]

Super sexy stuff, both these made with the same material, turned one side or the other. Doesn't show up in still photos, but it has a very hot little gold glinty action going on, under regular lights... but put it in the sunshine and it just seems to actually glow! This stuff is pretty darn tough too.
    3' wide, as usual, heavy leather ends. Below, the dark version... or Black and Tan...

[​IMG]

This is the other side, Tan 'n Black. Each has it's own thing going on. Great luster and texture, soft feel and ultimate Straptoneā„¢

[​IMG]

You have a goldtop, or black beauty, or maybe a gold strat blackguarded, even a blonde tele? This is your strap!

8. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

While on my little road trip I was able to hit up a few small town, small city thrift shops. I kind of drive my family crazy insisting on doing this, but they head straight to the book section, and over the last while don't seem to be complaining much. It's kind of like hunting for me, you never know what you will find. I normally head straight to the belt section, because I have a whole strap series based on recycled fashion belts called "No Prisoners."

There are a lot of junky real bad belts to be found in thrift stores, but sometimes a nice find makes it worth the stop. Like this solid leather gem, picked in in Lacombe, Alberta...

[​IMG]

This is a link belt, made of stamped leather bits are cleverly woven together with a single middle strap. Jimmy Page is sort of famous for his black link belt strap not exactly like this, but I personally dig that hippie old school vintagey look. It's kind of rare to see these on shoulders nowadays, never mind in a store, so any I can make ends up being a real unique item. They are deceivingly strong and comfy. So comfy, I have pretty much stopped putting padding behind them, just leave them as they are, leather right against you. They also always seem have just the right amount of "give" to 'em, too.

[​IMG]

In it's previous life as a fashion belt by Old Navy, it cost some larger lady $40 ( I didn't pay near that much, but it was still kinda pricey for a thrift shop). This one is 2-3/4" wide. Perfect! The buckle on it was is cheap and suspect, so it had to go. During removal, I proved I too am susceptible to the dreaded workshop injury, normally I cut into my fingertips on my fretting hand which sets me back five or six days for guitarin', so this small gash is nothing but a thing. No ambulance required. Just some TP and gaffer tape, I'm good to go.

This here will be the nose part of the strap, I have decided at this point. Sorry for the blurry pic, I was working left handed, and in shock LOL

[​IMG]

On the what will be the back end... we are going to make this a buckle adjuster, so I haul out my buckle collection for a nice buckle more befitting a Well-Hung strap.

Found it! A nice medieval look to this one, with a perfect 2" shank, and a very robust tooth, in matching antique brass with built in mojo already.

[​IMG]

We are going to need more leather for a tail strap. So I go to one of my leather stockpiles, and pick out something that is real close, just a bit
    less lustrous. But it will be alright once I am done with it.

[​IMG]

Here I have made a hole for the tooth, and riveted it thricely plus one, with matching rivets.

[​IMG]

Here it is on the back end of the strap. This buckle climbs up or down, we have about six maybe seven inches of adjustment with the buckle alone.
    See that one rivet holding it all together? That won't do.

[​IMG]

The leather I chose for the tail strap, and on the nose of this strap is strong, and just a thick as your average guitar strap. But, I want to
    shore it up just a bit with another layer of thin leather. So, I picked out real stiff some black crocogator cowhide to attach the the backside of
    the nose and tail, to give them a little extra body. Another blurry pic, shock is setting in serious !

[​IMG]

Like I mentioned, I was a little leery of how the ends were held to the links. I constantly security for Well-Hung straps, as if I would personally hang my finest guitar on it without a care. This heavy duty fashion belt was basically held together by that one small rivet on each end. I figured a couple of even larger ones would not hurt one bit, plus I'm going to stitch through that center strap once I get the cowhide on the nose. So, I smash in a couple rivets first to minimize the chance of metal contact with a guitar, then I'll cover that inside with the black gator.

[​IMG]

That's it for today probably. Gotta date with ol' red, my rider here in the backyard. My son found a way to throw the drive belt off yesterday, so we gotta remove the deck, and see what's going on under there. Never done it before, but watched a couple youtube vids on it last night. I'm gonna make him help, which will aid him into being more careful in the future. See the bucket on the side fender? Capacity of four plus ice. Yes, I am a very stable genius.

[​IMG]

See ya 'round!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

She's a Beaut' Clark!

TVvoodoo likes this.
  10. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Helluva mower for an old girl :)

AceBSpankin likes this.
  11. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

My son and I got under that mower, found a really twisted up and jammed drive belt. But she's back together and mowing again! Phew!
    Took us about an hour and half, not bad for first time at that. Lunch! Sorry to tease you fellas but it was 100% yum and a spur of the moment TVvoodoo culinary invention out of stuff quick at hand. Great big green salad laced with smoke cured salmon, bacon ranch dressing, couple slices of garlic toast on the side, a Chelada for quenchment factor and an apple for dessert

[​IMG]

Hunger sated, back at the strap. Wasn't but another half hour to sew it all together, then treat up the new leather to better match the older leather, then
    and put 'er up on Reverb for sale. Meet "Vrikdarok" of the Well-Hung No Prisoners series, ...name courtesy of the orc name generator.

Badass.

[​IMG]

Not the most efficient day's work, but good enough for me... super beautiful day out there today, think I'm gonna go hit some balls into the bush.

12. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Seems to be a bit of a running trend among a few barbaric pro players. So why not offer my own version?
    Today was a day for getting a kinda nutty, even a little ferocious in the StrapLab.

Time to enter "Beast Mode"

[​IMG]

A couple of loveable, hairy and fiercely individualistic straps, but no actual beasts harmed in the making. Um... scratch that. One moo cow was definitely seriously affected. Feelng OCD? Wear it neatly brushed or combed, such as shown on the right. Or, wear it all bushy and randomized when "crazy carnivorous wildman" is more your mood.

This I guarantee... If you've never got the heavy petting by wimmenz before, you definitely will when you wear this thing.

[​IMG]

Also, owner of the Well-Hung Allman Mountain #5 checks in, sportin' it on his sweet tele. Very cool.

[​IMG]

I would say we have a pretty nice match. I like how the brass ring works in this case. Details.

13. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Over on another forum I frequent there is a long-running joke about the so-called "Richman's Bastards" who are able to easily purchase premium name-brand guitars like Gibson, Suhr, PRS etc. without suffering financial hardship.

As an alternative, the phrase originator, (a rather eccentric and salty Swede), chose to purchase multiple "Hardly Dented" guitars from Germany and swap B-stock righties for lefties with little concern about "intonationing." He did this to be able to retain the extra money for his steady diet beer, babes and BBQ. I can't remember if anybody asked him about Swedish BBQ, which is probably grilled meatballs or whatever.

Anyway, to escape Reverb's wordifying rulemaking (which I have had some experience with before), I had to name this strap Richman's Illegitimate Son. It's not the kind of strap just anyone would pick up, but sometimes it's fun to just throw out a "Hail Mary" once in awhile.

3" wide, soft milk chocolately leather, brass studs, rivets, diamondy inserts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    R3deemed likes this.
  14. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Got a shipment of new leather in the other day. Sigh. One of the larger hides had a nasty looking wrinkle/scarring section, not in the middle of the whole hide, kind near one side. Anyway, the more I looked at it the oblong aberration, the more I started to dig it... So...earthy? unique? organic? Helps tell an important part of the story of the massive beast that formed it. And, it's just freakin' cool. Never saw this before, maybe never see anything like this again. Didn't see much use in trying to send the hide back or fretting about it.

So, I decided to cut a uniquely badass strap around it.

[​IMG]

No padding, no stitching, just thick, beautiful, (and gorgeously ugly) dark black buffalo leather. And heavy duty too... like 4.5mm, or 3/16" thick. That's strong! The wonderful thing about this kind of buffalo hide, it's also still somewhat soft and flexible, unlike vegtan cowhide. So, not all stiff like a board to start. Plus, this hide has just a bit of "give", say nearly an inch of springiness, adding greatly to the comfort level of a 3" wide solid leather strap.

There are makers that specifically rely on buffalo, or water buffalo hide because it's real tough and yet pliable.... wonderful stuff to work with. It does have a problem hardly mentioned or talked about. Over a period of time, if you make nose and tail holes standard size, this leather stretches and it'll slip off pins like crazy, because it's so flexible. You'll want to become a straplock guy on those straps as they age, or use jumbo size strap buttons, like I designed and supply. When I made this strap, I was sure to punch button holes smaller than standard size to counteract this... and it still slips on regular pins. I do think if you are a dedicated straplock guy, buffalo hide is an ideal choice.

15. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Picked up a new leather stamp tool over my holiday break, kind in the gruesome/badass category. Figured I'd try it out this morning on some 3" wide vegtan. At first I thought I would try to match up the upper points of the spades side-to-side, but then decided to alternate them. As sometimes happens in leather pattern stamping, you end up with unexpected and interesting surprises... Had no idea this was going to form a cool jagged wave down the middle, but gotta say I frickin' love it!

One problem, the stamp I picked up is more suitable for a mechanical emboss press rather than hammering, due to the larger (1" wide) surface area. I don't have one of those doggone presses... yet. As a result, my hammering arm is killing me LOL! I had to really smack that stamp hard and many many times to get decent impressions, and they still could be a little better... but it is what it is.

Name of this strap will be what else but... "Ace of Spades"

Starting out, I was pretty sure this was going to end up a pure black on black strap. Subtle. Now I am wondering about that. If I can dilute my black dye I have enough, maybe I can get a grey effect in the middle then fade it to black on the edges. I'm still learning this stuff. Want to try to highlight the sawtooth down the middle a little bit.

I could also fade black to to colours, blue, yellow, green, or orangey/brown. Could drop some studs on it too. thinking white stitching.

Any other ideas? Open to 'em if you got em.

[​IMG]

for the listening pleasure...

R3deemed likes this.
  16. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

What kind of bull[​IMG]-tomfoolery am I up to last night and this morning?

Well the Vinegaroon concoction to make vegtan into grey... was a total fail. Not going to bother showing that. I think my solution was bad. I forgot an important step in the making, that is dewaxing the steel wool. Did you know steel wool comes waxed so that it doesn't rust? Now I do.

Anyway, instead, to get grey (which is apparently near impossible with vegtan leather) I went with about eight or ten drops of black dye thinned into an oz and a half of Iso-P-alkyhol, and I got me a decent grey alright. Not bad. So, I learned me how to dye vegtan leather sort of grey!

Hard to get dye this thin even in application, and I got some sort of a driftwoody effect with the original leather colour showing through.
    Did get a bit of the black fade from the edges happening which is good. Wiped each skull with a bit with black dye too.

[​IMG]

Then, I dried it overnight, and in the sun for an hour this morning. Now we can all see those little bits inside the aces that didn't take the grey very well, still kind of showing the original leather "pink." Well, that was driving me a little bit crazy, so I grabbed an old toothbrush, some "antique paste" goop, (dabbled few drops of red dye into just to warm it up a bit) and proceeded to "antique" the middle zig-zag and all inside the Aces to nix the pink.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased or not, but it's kind of cool in it's own special way. I think once I neatsfoot it all up, everything will get a tad darker and blend real nice. Then I can finish it with a bit of a shine, should be just fine and most importantly ...saleable.

The strip is a bit more apparent in this photo than in real life. Brightened the photo a little bit so it stands out a bit more.
    Not exactly what I was going for. Maybe go with brown stitching now.

[​IMG]

R3deemed and AceBSpankin like this.
  17. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Over the next couple/few days I will be revisiting a design series I have not given enough attention to... the Well-Hung "Warrior" Series. Previous pieces in this series were made with light ivory buckskin suede. At the time I got several requests for a darker tobacco suede version, so here we go!

[​IMG]

These will include the bone pipe-beaded chest armor, (really more a decorative nod to it), a seed-beaded rosette, and plenty of dangly fringe.
    Rather involved process, but it's kind of fun getting my inner ancestral NDN on. I am confident in proclaiming I have at least as much Native American heritage as Ms. E. Warren.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    AceBSpankin likes this.
  18. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Just down to finishing touches on these... each includes a "medicine" pocket underneath the bone pipe beads, forward fringe should not affect strings,
    but if it does, easily trimmable. There is fringe on the back as well.

[​IMG]

Also, a forum sniper has picked off Ace of Spades before it got to the store.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    R3deemed likes this.
  19. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

new off the Straplab bench today is the 3" wide, and very long "Black Pearl."
    [​IMG]

Showy and badass at the same time... kind of Vegas-meets-metal if you get my drift

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM
  20. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

OK against all my best instincts, I started a Well-Hung Guitar straps Facebook page. Folks have been bugging me about it, and instagram for months, even years. I figure if I want to be serious about this, I need to up my social game a bit more. So, f-book seems as good a place to start as any.
    On there I plan to put up all kinds of fun, probably similar to this here thread, but maybe more differenter and extra content.

I do hope you will drop by, follow, and enjoy what I will bring to your timeline... if you know how to search, I will be easy to find.

I gather some TGP'rs vocally loathe the facebook, many do fully enjoy the platform and for you folks, if you enjoy this thread, I ask you to please visit and follow, like, share and POST your Well-Hung straps on your guitars, and maybe some words of encouragement. I do promise fun, and lots of guitar pron.... the Well-Hung posse has the funnest, most interesting peeps in the world! Already one Shock & Awe owner found me, and posted up a video of his #72 strap... super cool! Also, for a Facebook premiere, within hours I will be unveiling my Well-Hung Hi-Octane wall banner/flag suitable for brootzing-up any ho-hum mancave or rehearsal space. It's dark, it's scary, and highly Well-Hung! Not for sale, I will be giving them away as swag with future strap purchases.

Starting from ground zero is a bit tough, I am verily counting on you to juice up my facebook just a little bit, you are only a click or two away from a rollicking ride, my TGP Well-Hungarians.

How 'bout a bonus shot of Ace of Spades slightly before completion to celebrate? You want a strap that measures up? You best get Well-Hung!

[​IMG]