Cult of the Well-Hung StrapLab

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by TVvoodoo, Jun 22, 2016.

1. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

^Those look killer^

Great job, they look heavy duty enough to saddle a horse:confused:

TVvoodoo likes this.
  2. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

I swear, there was about 20 pounds of strap in that box.
    Those bronze rings are pretty clunky. This guy opted for the 5" wide ones rather than the sixers.
    The sixers are more "authentic" but they just seem a bit large on the front chest to me.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  3. AceBSpankin

I have had my "DA"by Well-Hung since this guitar was born
    and they are a Wonderful Pair;)

This guy is the Real Deal...
    Killer old school craftsmanship with great form and function.

But I bought it 'cause it was priced well and looked Amazing :aok

Thanks, Brad

Can't wait for the "DG" to be unleashed!!

And I'll definitely be grabbin' a couple of sets of the new Strap buttons also
    they look like a good design:dude

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4DrDPMfUTQcytRgn2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    TVvoodoo likes this.
  4. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Why are you writing in code and where's them dang pics at?

5. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

EVERY SINGLE ONE is handmade by me, an actual guitar player, here to preach to y'alls the gospel of the Well-Hung guitar man!

Youuuuuuuu... need to become...... comfortably hung!

My new "Stage King" Series features 2.5" embroidered East-Indian sari trim ribbon in a chocolate brown/gold, gray and creme theme, plus some super nice vintage Goldtop gold upholstery on the backside. The upholstery was picked for the both the vintage colour and it's very nice shoulder grippability, which will serve to render neck-dive an non-issue, keeping your guitar where you want it, so you can just con concentrate on playing the dang thing! Go from approx 45" - 56" or a bit more.

A whole new level of guitarin' comfort..... 1" x 15" of nice padding is built into the shoulder, for OPTIMUM WEARABILTY!
    Overall, these are an elegant-looking strap, built to my usual super robust specs. I see these as a great strap for three common /iconic guitar types...

1. a Goldtop LP for sure, as the 1" padding built into the shoulder will make it appear to pull less than a strat!
    2. A Blonde Blackguard Tele. The colours will almost match perfectly, with the dark, dark brown, light grey and the yellowy gold scheme.
    3. Spruce top acoustic - looks great on mine, though my finish is darkened quite a bit from time (and probably mistreatment), even better on a more natural light solid spruce top.

a couple pics here, check out more info on Reverb (see my sig).

Be a Stage King and set them ladies' hearts a-flutter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how good these straps? almost Duron Carter good, (my team last weekend by the way!)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Really Nice Work Brad....

Cheers, TF...

TVvoodoo likes this.
  7. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Couple new Gothic Hippy "tapestry" straps went up on reverb this morning.
    Very Boho / Dead Flowery

[​IMG]

8. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

[​IMG]

This is aceBspankin's outfit. This criminally unfamous guitar man enters stage right: Throws on this manly dark burst beauty. Doesn't have to say a word, or even play a note. Immediately every 16+ lady in the audience suffers girdle curdle. It's a curse, he tells me.

(sorry about the missing photo, that's on him, not me!)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    AceBSpankin likes this.
  9. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Working on a couple more for my Warrior Series....
    Finally used up the last of the buckskin, no pipe beads on these, but some sweet beaded ribbon I stole off a western belt
    that just pops as it goes over your shoulder. Beaded eagle rosettes, fringe, wooden beads and primitive lacing.
    Very soft and comfy strap. These look fantastic on acoustic guitars.

"Dancing Eagle" in the foreground and "Powwow" in the back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    j.s.tonehound likes this.
  10. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

My new Well-Hung Plectra guitar pick is kind of cool. Not too thick, not too thin, your basic fender shape.
    They sound just fine to my ears. I have been giving a way a few of them here and there. Some, I've been experimenting on in different ways to make them grippy.
    on these pictured below, been adding grommets into 'em you can easily slip one on your key chain for all those dark terrible moments when you realize you don't have a pick handy.

Maybe, now you will.

Ok they may not be ground-breaking in tone or feel. But they play just fine. On the ones I have made into grommet picks, that little bit of hardware ain't no matter. In fact, it kind of adds a nice touch point feel if you ask me, right where your thumb is (if you are a righty, anyway, turn it over if you are a southpaw).

[​IMG]

But even with the added grip factor, say you're in your mancave, or a dark stage and you STILL manage to drop your pick? Due to something called "excited electrons trapped in a triplet state" while undergoing "forbidden transitions" (actual sciencey talk), well, long and short of it is....

They glow in the freaking dark!

[​IMG]

Drop one of these babies on a dark floor in a dark room? You'll find it right away, and that... is a little bit awesome!

I've been putting some of these (one grommet pick each) in my strap packages for a few weeks now. If any of you fellas out there are already using them and are digging them, please let me know! I will soon be packaging them up into 15 packs in a unobtrusive clear stick-on container for your pedals boards and flogging them on reverb soon too.

11. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

just droppin' in a few shots of a few things I've been working on.
    Most will be showing up on reverb, except for the Hendrix/Gilmour, which was a custom build for an extremely handsome TGP'r
    and it looks strangly sweet on my sorta red special, too LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paisley pink, and green, carpetbagger series...

[​IMG]

More carpetbaggers.... "Champagne and Guinness", highly textured fabric, with little glits of gold in it too... doesn't show up in the photos.

[​IMG]

another Goth Granny, dead flowers strap

[​IMG]

12. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Been listening to a lot of Oasis lately... getting my Gallagher Brothers on.

Decided to see if I couldn't whip up a suitable Noel type strap for my 335. Swagger level upped from seven to about nine wearing this strap. Plus, it makes me want to guzzle beer, mouth off, and possibly smash my brother in the face because he's a barmy tosser. Then trash a hotel room.

[​IMG]

"Is it rock ‘n’ roll to be two hours late? It depends on what he was doing in those two hours. Was he snorting coke off prostitutes? Or was he playing bridge?"
    ~Noel Gallagher

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  13. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

M. Petersen of Petersen Custom Cabinets in this very same builder/retailer section sent me over some amp grillcloth scraps, at my request.
    I wanted to try some different types, but don't want to buy yards of it at a time to test it out. Great guy, and his work looks stellar.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-custom-cabinets-a-few-custom-builds.1346527/

I'm going to send him this strap in return for his kindness. Marshall big check, and black leather = one/two punch combo of awesomess.

[​IMG]

and here's a couple more grills I'm trying. The black and tan with teeny gold sparks is FREAKING fantastic. If I had me a Black Beauty or Goldtop, this would be THE strap, sexy material.
    I will definitely be seeking this out to make more. The bluesbreaker style has it's own vintage gearhead vibe thing going on too - these pics in full sun are quite a bit brighter than for realz

[​IMG]

Watch for these on Reverb, the link is in my signature below

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    indeedido and Tonefree like this.
  14. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Had a whole lot of strap pictures from when I first started years and years ago, up to what I am doing now. Decided to do a slide show thing.
    Shows the evolution of how I got to here. Some of the older works are a little strange but that's what happens when you look back.
    I believe most of them all are in use slinging guitars all over the place for a lot of happy people.

I initially started with a sewing machine not for leather, and modded that thing as far as I could take it with bigger motors and heavier flywheels before finally getting more serious and going industrial. Fewer and fewer problems now, but I still find myself cussin' over the odd strap because of some dang tension issue, bent needle, or whatever (mostly my fault).

I am steadily improving at my craft, and finding better and better materials too. Don't mind the music. Keep it low. It's my own guitar mancave noodling. I can fret a note or two unlike folks who keep plugging guitar straps, but seem to have little idea what a good strap is or isn't.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    AceBSpankin likes this.
  15. AceBSpankin

[​IMG]

Thanks wildman!!
    Knocked it out of the park again:aok

TVvoodoo likes this.
  16. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Youooooo have become, comfortably hung! Thanks for the sweet pic ace!

AceBSpankin likes this.
  17. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

First to admit I'm a raw beginner at the leather carving thing. This is the second one I've ever tried.
    If Dan don't like this custom order (local guy), and you happen to know a guy with this handle, maybe
    it will be available at a very reasonable price! 3" wide, thick leather, padded inside.

[​IMG]

AceBSpankin likes this.
  18. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Been foolin' around in the straplab this afternoon for a bit, prototyping.Should be raking leaves!

Who was to know suddenly a bunch of millionaire athletes would be bringing loads of hate upon themselves
    just shortly after I purchased a side of premium, hard-to-find football leather? LOL! Isn't life just like that?

This is before any white stripes painted on, and I definitely need to make a template for the lacing cuts for any future straps.
    Toyed with the idea of making an actual "seam" to stitch together in the front but that was just making things overly complicated.
    These will be hard enough to make already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Extremely gorgeous leather. Finished straps are going to be super cool. This one will be mine. Not sure if I will use dark brown stitching, or white.
    Most footballs I see have dark thread stitching where there is any sewing stitches like above, but I think white would really pop. Probably best go dark and
    keep it authentic. Once team badging is in place I think these are going to be rather sharp, great conversation piece for a dedicated fan.
    If there are still any fans of the sport remaining LOL!.

I think I have enough leather to make ten. Let me know if you want one, you will have to get your fave team badge to me
    and it will have to be under 3" wide better about 2.5" or less.

AceBSpankin and R3deemed like this.
  19. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

half an hour later a bit of spray bombing, and a bit of sewing... gotta admit to myself,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White stitching looks pretty good. IMO -

now to apply my team logo, pad it out, put a nice backing on it make a tail strap, pop some holes fore and aft, and rock it!

[​IMG]

had to cannibablize one of my fave sweaters for my team logo, (up high on the back of the neck), but I will sew on the flag patch and it will live to soak up beer and cheer another day.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    valvestate and AceBSpankin like this.
  20. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

1" padded in the shoulder, lined with nice suede, tail strap made, all of it sewed with contrasting white stitching - and nose and tail holes punched-
    and a strap is born - one I may take to my grave! Go Riders!

[​IMG]

AceBSpankin likes this.