• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cunetto Relic Tele

BrianW

Would you pay more for A Cunetto Nocaster Relic Tele than a standard Custom Shop Relic Nocaster? Would you pursue the Cunetto as a better made instrument?

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Would you pay more for A Cunetto Nocaster Relic Tele than a standard Custom Shop Relic Nocaster? Would you pursue the Cunetto as a better made instrument?
I'm not a fan of the Cunetto era specs, so I wouldn't buy one. I've played 3 of them over the years and I really can't say that I found them better built than many of the more recent Nocasters. Good guitars, but not my thing.

fullerplast

Two distinctly different questions.

Yes, I would definitely pay more.

No, I don't think it is necessarily "better made". It may be more desirable due to relative rarity, historical significance, and potential long term appreciation.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
The birds eye maple is pretty amazing on some of them.

I haven't seen that on the standard custom shop Nocaster.

johan

I prefer the Cunetto era that's why I have one.

Hot 10k bridge pickup.
9.5" radius.
Wonderful neck, a bit slimmer than the current Nocaster.
IMO more realistic relic job.
Great wood - at least mine is more resonant that the new CS Nocasters I've tried.
Not as vintage correct but a great instrument.

telesquire

I have a 1995 Nocaster ...don't use it often these days cos I have so many geetars...so I often toy with the idea of selling it....then when I pull it out of the case....I fall back in love and change my mind!

gdcx

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 1995 Nocaster ...don't use it often these days cos I have so many geetars...so I often toy with the idea of selling it....then when I pull it out of the case....I fall back in love and change my mind!
:AOK same situation here - but mine is a '97 Nocaster.

buddastrat

I love the Cunetto era. Those guitars have some of the thinnest finishes I've ever seen. I own an '00 nocaster so it's not a Cunetto but have played many of his strats. They're awesome. Like Johan said, they look amazing. the detail he spent on them..he's an artist. I never played a Cunetto nocaster, but I did reshape my time machine nocaster to a tiny bit slimmer feel, so I bet I'd really like the Cunetto era one. Plus that bridge pickup from that era!

Cunettos have some unique features like the radius of the fingerboard. It's supposed to be like a straight 9" radius instead of 9.5" or 7.25". The necks are really comfy, feelin' necks too. Nice and full but not obnoxious. Plus, both Fender and Gibson had great woods from that era. Shielded paint cavities, super thin paint, and collectable, sounds too good to be true! Amazing that they were the first relics and they still look the best. Plus they've had over a decade to naturally age so they really look amazing these days.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Same here, but mine is a '96. The neck is a little too skinny for me, and the birdseye maple looks out of place on a relic'd vintage tele, but I have never found another Tele that sounds better so that's why I keep it.

Jake

I prefer the Cunetto era that's why I have one.

Hot 10k bridge pickup.
9.5" radius.
Wonderful neck, a bit slimmer than the current Nocaster.
IMO more realistic relic job.
Great wood - at least mine is more resonant that the new CS Nocasters I've tried.
Not as vintage correct but a great instrument.
What he said.

This being said I think the guitars he makes under his own name are even better. Vinetto Guitars is what you should be looking for.
And what he said. I've got an Artifact SC50BG and it's perfect for me. Not vintage correct, but it's the best blackguard Ive played.

buddastrat

Same here, but mine is a '96. The neck is a little too skinny for me, and the birdseye maple looks out of place on a relic'd vintage tele, but I have never found another Tele that sounds better so that's why I keep it.

Here's a pic of a real '59 Jazzmaster neck. I saw a 60-something strat with flame neck. It was rare but they did have figured necks, so the Cunettos are actually still accurate in that respect. Plus I had a Cunetto strat with plain jane neck, so Fender CS mixed them up just like the originals.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, figured necks on vintage Fenders is pretty rare. I have read that Leo preferred to use non-figured necks because he wanted them to all look more or less the same. I always found it curious that they used figured maple on so many of the Cunnetto Relics.

Part of the reason the neck on my Cunnetto looks out of place is because there is not as much relicing on the neck as the body. Mine has always looked like a fancy new neck on an old body. I have not put any natural wear on it because I don't play it that often. It's never been set up right and has always been a struggle to play. I just found a new setup guy here in town that did a fantastic job on my Les Paul. I took the Cunnetto to him earlier this week to see if he can get it to play like it should.

Here's a pic of a real '59 Jazzmaster neck. I saw a 60-something strat with flame neck. It was rare but they did have figured necks, so the Cunettos are actually still accurate in that respect. Plus I had a Cunetto strat with plain jane neck, so Fender CS mixed them up just like the originals.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I heard those pickups are awesome. They go for around $200 just for the bridge :(
The bridge pickup in mine is awesome. I can't say the same for the neck pickup in mine. It's a little week in comparison to the bridge. I have resisted the urge to route it for a neck humbucker several times over the years. Now that they have gone up in value I'm glad I never did it.

1radicalron

If any of you is lucky enough to own a Cunetto era Fender Relic Guitar. I would suggest keeping it a while longer. They should become quiet collectable in the near future. Vince Is an Artist! He personally invented this Relic Guitar thing.
Those Cunetto era Relic's are very special for many reasons!
Wood - Fender Custom shop kept the best quality wood for these Guitars.
Vince personally specified what weights, and wood types he required.
Pickups - Legendary winders Fred Stuart, Alan Hamel, Abigail Ybarra wound all those pickups.
Vintage correct Nitro finish. Vince knows Nitro finishing. Those Guitars have the correct vintage nitro finish.
Frets/Neck/Setup - The flater 9" radius is a much more finger friendly Guitar to play. Also the 6105 frets have a nice meaty tone. Why did SRV have his '59 Strat Re-fretted to bigger frets and flatter radius? Was he concerned about the true vintage-ness of that Guitar?
John Page - Fender Custom Shop Guitars under the management of John Page are consistantly higher quality than more recent Fender Custom Shop Guitars. The 90's Fender Custom Shop was a high quality division, putting quality above all else. = Nowadays the Mighty Dollar has the unfortunate advantage over quality. I have played very few recent Fender Custom Shop Guitars lately that I thought were even close to price they are asking. Some of the best Guitar Builders today worked at the Fender Custom Shop during that time.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Vintage correct Nitro finish. Vince knows Nitro finishing.
The finish looks exactly the same as my Road Worn.

My buddy has a Cunetto and when you look at the finishes right next to each other they are identical.

I bet if I took pics of both of them you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

Just sayin'.

The neck is much nicer on the Cunetto and the pups are better. But, the Cunettos go for what, 3-4 grand now?

buddastrat

I haven't seen the teles, but the road worn strats look more like relic'd highway strats. The Cunetto finishes are much different than those and sink into the grain. The Cunetto finishes are still the best looking vintage finishes I've seen besides the real deal.

Trending Topics