Curious about Dean guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RSRD, Oct 8, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

A freind of mine was raving about Dean guitars the other day. Can't say i"m really convinced. Any proud owners out there? or disgruntled for that matter :D

~thomas

2. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Well, they don't do it for me, that all I can really ad. Never owned one and doubt if I ever will.

3. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a late 70's Dean V that is a great sounding and playing rock guitar. Because of it, I bought a new "time capsule" series V - this one has a maple top and a very hard V profile neck. The most V in a neck I have ever seen. The old simple V is really a nice guitar but the new one is pretty typical. Some people do swear by 'em.

4. I have a Deav EVO Special. I totally love it. The coil taps offer plenty of tonal choices to really dial in your sound. Stock pickups were a bit low in output, but they have a nice dark sound. If you get a chance, pick one up.

5. pm81

pm81 Member

+1 on Evo's.

Ben Chafin helped develop these and I really enjoy mine.

Good value for the $$ as well.

6. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

The only experience I have with Dean, is when Dean Zelinsky (the "Dean" in Dean Guitars) re-finished a Gibson SG for me back around 1976 or so. He was doing guitar re-finishing out of a garage in Northbrook, IL.

Guess that doesn't help here though...... :D

7. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I know where there is a Dean Cadillac Cherry SB w/a Duncan JB in the bridge for $350.00. They are a great guitar for the money. This particular one plays like butter and sounds awesome. I've owned a few and it was a rewarding experience. If I ever find a white one I'll snatch it up.

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

I had two Time Capsules briefly...very nice, but for such a $$$ guitar the nuts appeared to be installed by an amateur. They played great, but the Dimarzio distortion pickups did not do much for me. They are definitely headturning guitars, and I really like the Dean V's.

Without a doubt, www.deanguitars.com is the BEST guitar manufacturer website out there...awesome.

-Thad

9. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

I've owned 3

2 EVO's
    1 Icon

Great guitars for the money.... Sold them because I've found that Hamer makes guitars that fit me perfectly... Just a personal choice thing... If you can find a Euro built EVO they are incredible.... Best production "Les Paul" I ever owned...

YMMV

10. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

I just picked up a Hardtail Select for $499 new with a case including shipping from an ebay dealer. I think it is a high quality instrument. It feels and plays great, intonation is right on, the frets are very well finished and smooth, the neck feels right. It is well balanced and feels really good to play. I think it a great value.

Other than the no-name pickups that I'll replace I have no complaints. There is nothing wrong with the pickups I just like the sound of Rio Grandes so I'll put some in there. It comes stock wired with push-pull tone knob for the coil tap on the stock pups so I can make a substitution without much trouble.

11. Timmo

Timmo Member

If you have never played/owned an original Dean then you are truly missing out.
    I know nothing about the new Deans but the original ones are just plain killer!
    Yes, they are an aquired taste but I'd put my E'Lite up against ANY Les Paul. :AOK

12. radioheadhead

radioheadhead Member

My USA hardtail kills a PRS or Les Paul. Not in my hands, of course, but I'm still learnin'.:D

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Are there Euro built EVO's and Korean built EVO's? I've got one, pretty sure it's Korean; I didn't know there was another option. And if so, how different are they?

/rick

14. partytrain

partytrain Member

Dean guitars is basically 10 minutes from my house. A good friend of mine is pretty high up with their artist relations, and he gives me the star treatment whenever I stop by the factory. I am more than impressed with the quality of these guitars. Even those made overseas are shipped right here to Tampa where they are really put through the paces before they are sent out. They are really nice guitars in my opinion.

15. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I thought they outsourced production to a factory in Wisconsin with final assembly in Tampa???

16. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Yea... there were both... I think they are now just made in Korea... I owned one of each.... both excelent guitars... but the Euro was about 10 times the guitar.... Top notch instrument....

The Euro (Czech Republic) models were hand made... the tops are thicker and the overal build was equal to any US builder.... an overall fantastic guitar... Form fit and function...

From what I understand they are not having them made over there anymore... damn shame.... incredible bang for the buck... If you can find one used they are a steal......

17. Rich M

Rich M Member

I've got a Korean Cadillac select. Absolutely fabulous guitar and for $320 w/HSC a steal.

18. rooster

rooster Member

I have a red '98 or so (have to check the S/N, I e-mailed Dean, but they never got back to me with any info) USA Cadillac. Just a straight-ahead, solid mahogany machine, with 2 HB's and a fixed bridge/tailpiece setup like a Gibby. Great guitar, ebony fretboard, plays very well, good crunch. Doesn't stand up to my Heritage, but besides that, it's a fantastic value (payed $250 for it new on a blowout from a shop that had it for 6 years hanging on the wall).

rooster.