Curious about exotic & unfinished neck woods

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kleydj13, May 27, 2011.

1. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I am thinking about putting together a parts tele, and I've had a growing desire to check out a non maple/mahogany neck wood that doesn't require a finish. I once tried a PRS with a solid rosewood neck and it was :aok. The thing that I really loved about it was the feel. It was a sweet feeling neck, and I'd love to try one on my next tele.

Have any of you put an exotic unfinished neck on your guitar?

I have been looking mostly at Warmoth as they have a big selection. Price is a bit of a factor, so I couldn't go uber high end $400+ on the neck. I'd like to find something in the $200-300 range if possible.

Woods I have been looking at:

Rosewood
    Canary
    Goncalo Alves
    Padouk
    Wenge

I'm not a big fan of the standard thin warmoth profile - I'd much prefer the '59, fatback, or boatneck. For specifics:
    http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Path=Neck&nWood=23&i=TN3800

Let me know what you think? Is maple/mahogany the standard because they're the best - or just because of tradition? Will what I gain in feel be totally voided by adverse tone or reliability issues?

2. baimun

baimun Member

I have done exactly what you're talking about.

Fender Strat Body
    Warmoth Rosewood Neck
    Duncan Electronics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Played like hot buttered sex with a super model. :D

It actually made me desire a PRS with a rosewood neck even more, so I went to this rosewood neck'd goldtop after selling off the pieces of the Esquire above.

[​IMG]

I also at one time had this strat with a Bocote neck and I'm working on one right now with a Pau Ferro neck.

[​IMG]

Tonally they're a little different... smooth but with huge sustain. Worked exceptionally well with the tele-setup that can sometimes be too harsh, and with the PRS I ended up putting clearer sounding, lower output humbuckers to keep away any muddiness (PRS 57/08 pickups).

3. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

Yes please! Man that tele looks killer. It certainly peaks my interest. I would expect it to be a little different, but I think I would enjoy something a little different/warmer.

4. dspellman

dspellman Member

Pique = provoke, arouse, as in "His comment piqued my curiosity."
    Peak = achieve a maximum level, as in "Sales of outdoor gear peaked in June."
    Peek = to glance quickly or furtively, as in "I peeked in the conference room, but I didn't see him."

PHRASE NAZI STRIKES!

5. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I stand corrected.

More exotic necks please! Any thoughts on tones I could expect from different woods?

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I can also vouch for Rosewood necks. The wood is oily, needs no finish, and just feels great.

In terms of tone, Rosewood is going to give you very firm lower mids and tight bass with strong fundamental tones. The highs are sparkly. When I had a McCarty Rosewood, it was my favorite guitar for overdriven lead tones. It had a lot of oomph.

Some people have very sweaty hands, if that's you, rub a little Pledge on the neck every so often with a cloth (don't spray the neck). Pledge sounds like an anathema, but PRS used to recommend Pledge for their Rosewood necks for this, I don't know if they still do. Certainly works. I used to do it just to make the neck feel a little faster.

7. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

i have my semi-hollow tele that has a solid rosewood neck.
    it just has danish oil finish on it. love the feel and sound.

8. smilefan

smilefan Member

I played a raw Padauk neck Strat once (a Warmoth).
    Have been thinking about how perfect if felt to play on ever since.
    Just effortless, and the tone was great.

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Musikraft Indian Rosewood neck - the biggest I've played. Barely any contour, and it feels/plays great. The raw rosewood is definitely something to experience.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lightweight Musikraft Alder body, with the full Dikkers treatment; TV Classictron & GFS Lil' Puncher round out a guitar you don't want to put down.

10. adrinalino

adrinalino Member

Is this exotic enough ?

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-CNHTZLHJ.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-DKKFKHN8.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it at the Philippines during my stay there. It is made of Narra. Narra is a paduk like wood that grows only on the Phillippines. It's stable and stiff. I treated it with danish oil and has an excellent feel. Don't know if Warmoth has it on stock though...

Cheers,

Adrian.

11. torquil

torquil Member

So you could say something like: His interest for exotic neck woods peaked, after it was piqued by his peek onto the Warmoth website :)

English is not my native language, though.

brk303 likes this.
  12. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

Man those are pretty. I really think I'd love the feel of these necks. That's the biggest thing that draws me. They look killer too :aok

I have been checking warmoth's site constantly and it doesn't look like I'll be able to find a fatback or boatneck contour on an exotic neck wood, so I'll have to roll my own.

The rosewood/rosewood combo is very awesome. I would anticipate it to be very warm sounding which could work great on a tele with single coils. Downside - it is quite expensive. The neck creator quotes $357 :(

I also have been looking at Goncalo Alves/Pau Ferro. Tonally I would expect it to be a little more balanced. It also will be quite a bit cheaper - quoted at $267.

I haven't spent much time looking anywhere but Warmoth, are there any other sites I should be checking out?

13. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

If I were building a tele and looking for an exotic neck wood, I would go with canary, which is brighter than most of the other exotic woods except ebony, producing tones that are the closest to maple neck tones.

14. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have a Goncalo Alves neck on a US Fat Tele. The feel is phenomenal - one piece, radiused and unfinished - and a very fast player. Compared to the previous neck (a maple baseball bat with a rosewood fingerboard), the tone is probably more balanced and slightly lighter (as opposed to brighter).

But expect any neck change to make a very big difference to the tone, not always predictably. (I'd expected something darker and warmer, although I'm not unhappy with it.) A similar neck swap - an old Strat Plus neck put on a Highway 1 - was a huge improvement (clarity, sustain) as well as a major tone change (much warmer, but was swapping maple for rosewood fingerboard), although I put some of that down to it simply being a better made neck. The change to an LSR nut is an unknown factor in there too.

15. edi_87

edi_87 Member

+1 on unfinished rosewood necks.. great feel!

16. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I have been thinking about how 'traditional' I want this tele to be - I think I'm going to stray away a little. I might go with the Canary neck but then dual humbuckers. Or I may got with something warmer like rosewood or goncalo alves and stick with singles.

17. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Wow! Where did you source the binding? I'd love to do something like that!

18. normal ninja

normal ninja Member

Yes, go raw! I built my fretless bass from warmoth parts including a raw unfinished rosewood neck - no regrets! plays and feels real nice

19. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

That thing is hott!