Curious about the ES-225

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Trapp, May 13, 2015.

1. Trapp

Trapp Member

I'm hoping to make use of the forum's collective wisdom. I have a chance to buy a 1957-8 sunburst Gibson ES-225 - the single p90 version.

The price seems to be about right - $2200 - not a steal but not unreasonable.

The thing is, I don't know much about these guitars. What can you tell me about them? Are they well made? Would it be appropriate for playing jazz on if I put on flat-wound strings? I like Burrell/Kessel/Montgomery type sounds for jazz (different pickups, of course). Can I get close with a 225?

Thanks.

p.s., I know that there is a lot of information online. Don't be an ass-hat and tell me to google it or use the search function. I'm looking for personal experiences and knowledge here.

2. Jura

Jura Member

Loved mine, but didn't have any use for the middle pickup at the time.
    Top build quality.
    Used flat-wounds with her, but the middle pickup is not really your standard jazz pickup position.
    [​IMG]

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Google "ES 225 personal experiences and knowledge."

Just kidding, of course.

I'm interested in 225s myself but don't really have personal experience. Grant Green played an ES 330 a lot, two pickup version. And whichever bridge, tailpiece system the 225 you're looking at has, the 330 is different in that regard. Still there has to be some similarity.

Speaking of personal experiences though, have you played it? I'd be interested in your thoughts on the single middle pickup.

4. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

See if they'll take 2k for it even. Never know.

225s are very similar to 330s in sound. I would like to buy a 225 and add it to my little collection one day but the 330 has everything covered at the moment.

The problem with the middle pickup models isn't so much tone, since that can always be adjusted to some degree. It is simply a problem with the dang thing getting in the way of my picking/playing hand.

5. Trapp

Trapp Member

I'm thinking the middle placed pickup might be perfect for me. When I play jazz gigs, I usually sit down and that places my picking hand right over the neck pickup. I sometimes get clicking noises from the pick sticking the pickup. This should solve that problem.