Curious.. does Helix have more CPU power..?

RawDawg

..than the FM3?

Something that’s bothering me, and making me think I may yet again go back to Helix is that I felt like I had more control and “power” with it. I am a simple man, but I could never max out Helix with what I do. The Fractal I do it by accident!

Also I hate how there is seemingly no master level. Even turning up the volume can make me clip in my DAW?! The Helix had pretty sensible separation between monitoring and output.

The FM3 sounds great, but so did the Helix, and it was so much easier to work with. Intuitive. On top of that I highly enjoy employing two in a patch amps. Somehow I overlooked that shortcoming of the FM3… it doesn’t. That, to me, is insane.

I also just miss the footswitches. It made the Helix feel like I had an actual pedalboard. I cannot fathom clicking through menu’s on the FM3 to do what I’d rather do. Have my amps, and the effects I want.

Did FM3 just like, skimp that out? Would it ever gain this functionality? Does it have less horsepower than the Helix?

FM3 to my astonishment gets really bogged down by a freaking reverb.. it’s a good thing I care little for reverb beyond its subtle coloration to the tone if need be.

Id rather someone talk me down. I’m certainly not looking to start another food fight on here. I just prefer the Helix despite how much I really do like the amps in the FM3. Maybe I should buy an HX effects? I dunno. Seems I was overall having an easier time all around with Helix. Do I have options regarding my issues? I know there’s an FC-6 etc. not thrilled with having to buy that. Rather it all be one unit.

Last edited:

Fresiki

They have approximately the same DSP power. Both have two 450 MHz SHARC DSPs. The Helix has the older 214xx and the FM3 has the newer "SHARC+".

We always put quality over quantity so our algorithms will typically use more DSP than other products.
I was researching your products recently and I just thought about that setting in the reverb block where you can make it spend less CPU power at the expense of quality/complexity. I also think I remember you could do something to the amp block to achieve the same.

Maybe it could be possible to add an "ultra low" setting for those and also enable the feature for more types of blocks? I don't own any Fractal products as of now so I don't know why I'm sticking my head out for this, just a thought!

SteveO

I was researching your products recently and I just thought about that setting in the reverb block where you can make it spend less CPU power at the expense of quality/complexity. I also think I remember you could do something to the amp block to achieve the same.

Maybe it could be possible to add an "ultra low" setting for those and also enable the feature for more types of blocks? I don't own any Fractal products as of now so I don't know why I'm sticking my head out for this, just a thought!
If you need to go all out, the Axe-FX III is probably where you want to be. I spent a long time trying to decide which way to go (Axe3 vs FM3), and on paper the FM3 seems really limited in comparison, but for most "normal" applications it is more than capable of doing everything I want it to. However, portability and versatility were critical things for me, as I also run 4CM with some of my tube amps. That's what tipped my personal scale in favor of the FM3.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
Did I miss something or, are you reading too much into his post?

:dunno
" We always put quality over quantity so our algorithms will typically use more DSP than other products. "
That implies that the competition puts quantity over quality. That's trash talking.

" They have approximately the same DSP power. Both have two 450 MHz SHARC DSPs. The Helix has the older 214xx and the FM3 has the newer "SHARC+". "
If he'd have stopped there, that would have been "Just the facts".

SteveO

" We always put quality over quantity so our algorithms will typically use more DSP than other products. "
That implies that the competition puts quantity over quality. That's trash talking.

" They have approximately the same DSP power. Both have two 450 MHz SHARC DSPs. The Helix has the older 214xx and the FM3 has the newer "SHARC+". "
If he'd have stopped there, that would have been "Just the facts".
Presentation is everything. A different way of saying it would be "We strive for the highest quality models and effects that we can achieve, and worry less about the CPU impact."

That's how I read that statement, anyway.

SteveO

am curious - when helix and fractal drop the next thing will you owners of these already just go buy the new version/product even though you have and supposedly love what you have now?
That depends entirely on whether or not the "new thing" actually brings something new to the table that I would be interested in.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
am curious - when helix and fractal drop the next thing will you owners of these already just go buy the new version/product even though you have and supposedly love what you have now?
The current version of EVERY modeler is ALWAYS the MOST REALISTIC ever!
The next version will ALWAYS be MORE REALISTIC than that.
Of course we'll buy it!
I REALLY like my Helix. I REALLY want a Fractal FM3.
Then, when the next versions come out, I'll have to buy one of each to get THE MOST REALISTIC of both!
I'm a TGPer! I have perpetual G.A.S.!