'Current doubler' cable with a power supply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Space Hammer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

A friend of mine is in need of a new power supply (the Voodoo Labs PP2+ is currently the best contender but we're looking for a cheaper option).

the main issue is that he has some current thirsty delay pedal (Nova Repeater) that needs in excess of 300mA (at 12V) to work - no issue on the PP2+, on outputs 5-6 just use a current doubler cable (a cable that combines two outputs in parallel). Problem is in Australia the PP2+ costs a small fortune. The Modtone powerplant looks like a good second option at about half the cost, but its outputs are only 150mA each.

So i guess my question is - can you use cable that a combines THREE outputs (in parallel) on the modtone (or any power supply with isolated outputs really). Apparently there is a small chance you can damage the power supply using the 'standard' current doubler cable, if i combine 3 will we fry anything?

anyone else have any suggestions for any other power supplies to look at? we also need to power another 6 pedals.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Outputs in parallel? That would be a current doubler, not a voltage doubler. To double the output voltage you would combine the outputs in series.

3. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

correct - I need to double the Current (not voltage). I have amended my previous post.

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

On the Modtone, you would need a series power cable. The PP2+ in taps 5 & 6 are rasted at 250mA, that is enough to power the Nova Repeater. The PP2+ actually has higher mA capabilities, and the Nova pedals actually don't require 300mA that it states, it's for the wallwart ratings.

You just use a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm power cable to connect to the Nova Repeater to the tap of the PP2+ (tap 5 or 6).

5. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

Quite possible, however I have read a few threads from people who have had issues with their Nova at 300mA - not a issue i want to get involved in when 'recommending' a piece of gear that i can't test.

Thanks all - looks like my friend called in a favour with a guy he knows at a local store and he is getting the Voodoo Labs after all.

6. rayza

rayza Member

I been using a trex chameleon to power my nova delay on one output no problems. And cheaper than a pp2 here in oz.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

So, if that's the case, then the PP2+ couldn't power the Nova due to limited mA on the taps based on what has been written. The #5 & 6 taps have a 250mA limit, how are you going to power the Nova then? Thru a series doubler cable?

Honestly, it isn't necessary to utilize a doubler cable for the Nova series unless you are using the Nova Distortion (requires 380mA). I no longer use the PP2+, but when I had it on my board, I used to power a Nova Repeater and Nova Reverb together via the #5 & 6 taps w/ no power or performance issues. No doubler cable required. If you are still hesitant, contact Voodoo Lab.