Current favorite guitar mic...

silentbob

I usually use a Beta 56a on my guitar cabs live. When recording, I'll add in an RE320 or something else to get a different flavor.

GibsonGeek

I bought an Audix i5 to learn on. I feel I should’ve just went with a 57 as a noob.

When shopping for an SM57, is there a noticeable difference in sound between a new 57 from Sweetwater vs. an older used but clean 57 from the 70s/80s?

fr8_trane

Supporting Member
I have a Beyer M500 ribbon mic that i had re-ribboned by stephen sank that is pretty cool. I also really like the EV RE-50 which is an old omni dynamic mic that was mostly used by live newscasters in the 70's (lol). It does have a good rep as a guitar mic though because omni's have NO proximity effect. So you can jam it up against the grill and not worry about cutting a ton of 100-200 hz in the mix. I wouldnt use it with a live band recording (too much bleed) but for solo recordings its great.

A great ribbon that I dont think gets enough love is the sE Electronics VR1. My favorite part (besides it affordability) is that it is not as dark as traditional ribbons so you need less EQ in the mix.

And i'll second Jmoose - anything but a 57. I just dont get it and there must be something to it because its still used and fawned over by A list engineers - but I dont hear it. I'll always remember hearing playback from my first recording of my amp with a 57 (which of course was my first mic). I thought the mic was broken! Tried it on snare - same result. The only other person (besides JMoose) that I've ever heard express this opinion is Steve Albini and I was so grateful for that validation because I thought that maybe my ears were broken. An old Albini interview was also instrumental to turning me onto ribbon mics 15+ years ago.

Last edited:

Alamous

Mostly I tend to use a MD409 + U87, Usually both mics will be on the grill, pointing at the middle of the cone. Occasionally If Im recording the amp in a bigger room instead of an Iso -booth I might back the U87 a few feet from the amp.

Lately I've been also digging the Voodoo VR-1 ribbon instead of the MD409, both mics give me fast transients and a smooth top-end and middle range that takes EQ real good.

meterman

I like my 906 for live, sounds great and lays flat out & of the way, no stand needed.

Recording I like the Royer 121 + SM57. I recently picked up the combo mic clip from Royer so I can just use one stand and always get perfect phase.

patshep

Supporting Member
I like my 906 for live, sounds great and lays flat out & of the way, no stand needed.

Recording I like the Royer 121 + SM57. I recently picked up the combo mic clip from Royer so I can just use one stand and always get perfect phase.
a great engineer friend of mine told me to take my 906 and position it parallel to the speaker and give it a few inches of room for air, and it was really good advice, it sounds good sitting on top of the grill and is so convenient, but i took his advice and played with it some, and it sounds wonderful

meterman

a great engineer friend of mine told me to take my 906 and position it parallel to the speaker and give it a few inches of room for air, and it was really good advice, it sounds good sitting on top of the grill and is so convenient, but i took his advice and played with it some, and it sounds wonderful
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that sometime.

Voodoo Soul Blues

Silver Supporting Member
My two favorites right now are the Shure KSM 32 and the AKG 414 which has always been a favorite depending on the situation.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member

Pretty classic setup, its hard to argue agains that. One alternative though is the Mesanovic Model 2. I'm finding that with the extended top end available on the Model 2, I don't really have to run two close mics to blend. I'm finding its a simpler setup with similar results.

John Quinn

...for electric guitar amps: AKG C414 B-XLS...... I’m looking forward to using it in conjunction with an SM57.

Interesting combination - I think that combo would demand excellent microphone technique. I've always enjoyed the oldie but goodie - A Royer 121 and a Shure SM57 - and if the guitars are a bit cleaner I like a LDC (U47 FET or an exact clone) up close at about 2 foot off the speaker and a Sennheiser 441 approaching the cab.

I have been getting a little lax as of late - I'm using Helix Native for ease of use, , excellent volume control, and the convenience of having the same amp/pedals/cabinet live as what I used recording.

roadfilm

I recently bought an Audix i5 and use it in combination with a SM57. So far I really like the results.

Trending Topics