Current mexi strats vs the older ones.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Jun 15, 2019.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

looking for a cheap strat for a backup to my tele. Played one of the current Mexican strats today at Guitar Center. I think it is called Player Series. They were around $600. I was really impressed with the tone and playability.

I’m looking at some older used mexis and wondering how they compare to the new ones. Can anyone help?

2. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

I have 1995, 2007 and 2017 MIM standards. I've also had a '94 and early 2000's std. and I had a Classic Player. The Classic Player neck was far nicer than any of the std. models. The being said the 2017 I picked up recently has the nicest alder body I've seen in a long time. Mine is solid 2 piece and has a beautiful burst. I did switch out the pickups to some Bootstrap '54's which are a bargain IMO @ $45.00 a set. I also had some Fender locking tuners hanging around so I put them on but the stock ones work just fine. Used MIM std. Strats are a dime a dozen and can be had all the time for $200 or less. I think they make a great platform to mod.

3. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

the player series is the new MIM standard line i belief. the upgraded the body, go away the pancake body of the old MIM standard and they are using 2 point tremolo instead of 6 screws. and then the pickup is also different, now its sporting alnico pickup instead of the old MIM standard, which is using ceramic. the neck carve is still the same i think.

the older Standard MIM has pancake body, 6 screws i believe and a ceramic pickup.

noley likes this.
  4. standard24

standard24 Member

I flip Mexican Strats, and I've had many, many of all vintages go through my hands. I think the more recent MIM standards are the best they've made to date. Really improved them and they're a bargain new or used.

The Classic 50's/60's series are really good, but I rarely come across those at a price low enough for me to make a decent profit on. If I were looking for a keeper, I'd lean towards a Classic series.

Benderp, monty, shane8 and 5 others like this.
  5. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

The Player is the way to go if the money isn't an issue. 22 frets, bridge pickup is wired, 2 point bridge, etc.

mdrake34 and shane8 like this.
  6. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

my 95 MIM is my #1 single coil guitar. it has also been modded a fair bit so not really indicative for comparison's sake. the new MIM series as mentioned is basically a Mexican made version of the American Standard. probably a more fair comparison would be to the older lower end US models than the older MIM's . the features on the new series are different enough to the old MIMs that they really don't compare well. the one reason to get an older MIM is that you want a traditional style Strat over the modern style.

rwijaya likes this.
  7. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

With the exception of the bent saddles, the Player strat is the same spec as my AmStd from '96. Unless you spot obvious build issues it should be an excellent instrument.

monty likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Member

The prior MIM Standards with ceramic magnets just means you need to lower the pickups further from the strings than the new Alnico to get the same tones (ceramic is hotter, but also drives the amp harder if you want). But players are frightened of ceramic like little girls at a haunted house so Fender did a good job putting Alnico in the Player Series.

The two point vs six screw bridge is not a big deal if you do like Eric Clapton and block the trem.

If you are spending new money get the Player Series and if you are spending for used get the older MIM Standards.

If you are looking for a backup to a Tele, I'd suggest to get a used MIM Standard, a Tele bridge pickup matching your Tele, and mod that in the Strat. Swap the middle and bridge pickup hot leads at the switch. This will give you a Tele 3-way at one end of the switch (like Tele has neck+bridge) and the middle combos at the other. Block the trem. Move the volume pot to the first Tone pot hole and make the second tone pot a master tone control (jumper the three tone lugs on the switch) -- so you have wide open picking access without hitting the volume knob.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. scott944

scott944 Member

Aren't the current ones using bigger fret wire than the older ones? My '02 has skinny, vintage-sized frets, but the new ones I've tried seem to have bigger wire.

10. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Yes. I've got an '04 MIM Std Strat and it has the vintage frets.

Great neck on that one.. Swapped out the stock ceramics - which sucked - and put some Ken Rose Heritage alnico pups in there. Now it rocks.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The upper end Mexican models, have been very nice since around 2012. My favorite Fender neck is from a 2012 Blacktop model (similar to the Lonestar). The MIM Standards improved a few years ago. I have no complaints with the 6-screw tremolo's. And the ceramic pickups work better in a band setting, than many alnico sets.

The new Player model is nice, but I still recommend playing and comparing guitars. You will find both good and bad guitars, throughout the Fender line, at all price ranges. The Squier Classic Vibes are also nice. But, I prefer to replace the loaded pick guard and tremolo's, on this line.

Benderp, monty and fretless like this.
  12. utterhack

utterhack Member

i'm pretty sure older guitars are better tho

13. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

I wouldn't consider a $600 guitar a "cheap backup". If you really want cheap backup a used MIM Standard less than about 10 years old would be a great choice.

If you are looking for a nice alternative to your Tele the Player Series is a great choice.

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I’m definitely in the <than $300 camp. I was hoping to hear that the older MIMs were as good as the new ones.

15. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

If you can find an older standard for a steal snap it up. There isn’t that much difference to worry about. My ‘95 has the darkest slab RW board I’ve ever owned. Everything else is easily upgraded. IMO a Strat is a Strat is a Strat....

The_Whale and squeally dan like this.
  16. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Quality on a less than 10 year old MIM Standard I would call equal to the new Player. The pickups on the older guitar will be hotter than the new Player, I would say most guitarists wouldn't consider them to be 100% traditional Strat sound.
    Fender doesn't advertise it, but people are reporting the new Players have been coming with a steel tremolo block. Probably leftover stock from the old American Standard line.

squeally dan likes this.
  17. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Newer MIM=better

Chicago Slim likes this.
  18. willyboy

willyboy Member

I have a Sonic Blue Classic Players 60 Strat from I think 2007, whichever the first year they were offered. It has the Custom Shop 69 pups in it. At the time it cost me $725 CAD. It's a fantastic guitar for that money, and I still like it just as much as the day I got it. The only thing I changed on it was to have Jumbo 6100 frets installed and a bit of fallaway put into the upper register of the fretboard. Really great feeling neck and the guitar plays and sounds really good.

monty and squeally dan like this.
  19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Does it bother anyone else but me that Fender has stopped tinting the necks on both American and Mexican vintage-type guitars?. I have not seen anyone else complaining about it, but it bugs me big-time. I hate the plain maple necks on the current Fenders, I think the vintage tinting is part of the classiness of Fender Strats and Teles and such, to the point that I wouldn't even buy one of those new ones, unless I had plans to change out the neck on it. Why did Fender stop tinting the vintage-inspired models, both American and Mexican?. I know many will think this is a minor issue, but it is a deal-killer to me.
    Al

noley, Schlep and squeally dan like this.
  20. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I had a 2018 Player SSS Strat. It was a real sweet guitar that played and sounded great. I only sold it because I wanted a US HSS.

There were some minor niggles:
    1. I couldn't get the action as low as some US models without excess fret buzz. A fret level or clean up may have been required.
    2. The 42 mm nut feels a bit cramped compared to the US 43 mm nuts.
    3. Medium jumbo frets are great but jumbo are even better.

On balance, I wish I had been able to keep it - but I was at my guitar quota. And for what it's worth, I enjoy my US American Performer a lot. Is the US model worth the extra AUS $900? For me yes, but hard to justify rationally.

Also I note that the price of the Player models makes the Squier Classic Vibe uncompetitive (in Australia anyway).

squeally dan likes this.