Current production chorus which sounds similar to SCH-1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevemcb, Jun 26, 2008.

1. stevemcb

stevemcb Member

Does such a thing exist? (Yep, searched)

My dad has an SCH-1, I grew up with that thing and love it, but so does he! They're harder to get around here (New Zealand) than in the US, and most ebay sellers won't send here. I won't say what chorus I'm using at the moment (it's embarrasing) but I'd love to get something similar to an SCH-1 (cheaper if possible too :hide). I don't need or even particularly like the infamous SCH-1 faux-leslie sound, I just love it as a standard chorus, either with rate high and depth low, or rate low and depth high. Limiting choices to mass-produced choices because I can't afford to go boutique, and apart from Red Witch which are made here, there's no way I could ever even think of trying before I buy...

Does the reissue Ibanez CS-9 get close? Anything else spring to mind?
    Boss-sized enclosure or smaller would be a bonus too...

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Analogmans will get you there ;)

3. vinceman

vinceman Member

maybe you should try the SCH-Z. It does not have as much headroom as the SCH-1, and may not be as usable with high gain , but it's definitively in the same ballpark. for the price, it's worth the try. You can find it for under 50 bucks on Ebay.

I even sometimes prefer it over the SCH1 for some settings, the lowest speed "classic chorus" in particular.

When I talk about SCH1, I mean the black one. I have sold a grey one to keep my SCH-Z on the board, while I find another Black SCH-1.

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

the Ibanez/Maxon pedals are nice--particularly the CS-9 Pro, but they have that "fairy dust" thing going on, which I don't care for. For a good, simple anlalog chorus that does the Leslie thing quite well, I would check out the BBE Mind Bender. Also, I spent some very limited time with a Digitech Chorus Factory, and it seemed astonishingly versatile. But I can't vouch for the overall sonic quality.

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Oh dur, i've been using the PCI modded SCH-Z for ages...great price, true bypass and doesn't sound all that dissimilar to the SCH-1. Well, not that you could tell in a front of house mix anyhoo ;)