Current production EL34's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueshound, May 22, 2006.

1. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

I'm going to retube my Fuchs Train 45-what is the consensus for current production EL34's? I run the amp pretty hard so I'm looking for something that sounds good that is also durable. Thanks in advance. Lee

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

i've been diggin' the Ruby EL34BSTR's in my bad cat amps. haven't ever had any problems. they seem really solid.

3. brianf

brianf Member

Who makes the Ruby's? Sovteck?

I always have had good luck with the EH.

I find that JJ's are dark and lifeless, like a blanket thrown over the amp.

The Winged C's are also very nice!!!

Buy a couple of sets and experiment.

brianf

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A vote for the rugged JJ E34L here...

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I believe Ruby is Chinese.
    Im a Svetlana man through and through.
    Never had one die on me.:drool

6. uberpict

uberpict Member

+1

They can handle more power than regular EL34's per the specs. I'm using the GTE34LS which is the Groove Tubes version with the special heat fins added, still made by JJ on GT's tooling. The Winged-C's may have more harmonics in the midrange but the E34L's sound pretty good in my Rivera, big bottom end and they break-up nicely when pushed.

7. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

for current production I've had good luck w/ the winged C SED's,but I also know guitarists who like the jj's

8. Karmma1

Karmma1 Member

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=218298&ck

Some useful general information on currently manufactured tubes can be found here...just click on the links for "Richard's Rivera Amplifier Page", then on the "Power Tube Guide" (some good info regarding preamp tubes can be found here as well).

Of course, no one is a final authority on what is better, everyone has their own bias (NPI), but in my experience alot of the info on these pages is right on the money, despite the fact that the author is talking specifically about tubes for Rivera amps.

Hope this helps.

9. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

I have a love hate with the EH 34's but the right pair sound great in mine.
    I Think they compress and sound a bit more wreck like the sevt's, (winged C's) these sound very good but have a brittle high thing just a bit
    that get's on my nerves.

Other fav's,, For a crunchy/furry slide lead tone put a NOS GE white label,(non JAN) 12ax7 in V1 and NOS GE GTA's 6v6's biased 4-5 MA apart, hit the soft hard SW to soft, bang, fat but focused furry slide ala D Lindley.
    Another good one: for a lower vol sweet, smooth live/studio thing, brimar 6v6's biased a tad cold (1-2 mA off the stock 30mA) and yank the V1 GE 12ax7 for something "smooth".VDG

disclaimer:Ask andy first about the bias mis-match, I don't think it's too off, but I don't want to recommend something that would possably hurt the amp. And Andy, sorry for not calling, had some health issues......

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I haven't played everything. But I like SED the best right now. [FONT=arial, helvetica]
    [​IMG]

They seem to be louder and have more dynamics than Sovtek. I do like Sovtek preamp tubes though.
    [/FONT]

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Spend $60 and get some NOS Siemens from Greg Levy at High Test Tubes.

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

VooDoo Gregg, understood Brother. Hope you're feeling better soon.

The Sovtek EH-34's are okay, although lately we've seen more that we would like that turned microphonic (or were microphonic out of the box) or just shorted out after a fairly short time in service.

The JJ EL-34's are very nice, seem to be reliable and well matched, and sound good. As with anything tubed: Time will tell.

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I can agree with this post. I have them in my JTM 45/6M45 Weber clone and they do sound great. I also have Amperex Bugle Boys in the preamp tubes, so that plays a part of the tone as well, but I've got to say the Siemens EL 34's are quite good.