Current Production Japanese Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sus4, Jan 22, 2006.

1. sus4

sus4 Member

I went to GC the other day to check out some Strats and say the Strat 12-string. What really surprised me most was the "Crafted in Japan" decal on the heel of the neck. What other MIJ guitars on the market today?

And on a related point, is "Crafted in Japan" superior to "Made in Japan"?

Daniel

2. onemind

onemind Member

MIJ v. CIJ has been discussed here at length, the general consensus is it's purely semantics, the designation was changed to appeal to the consumer. That said I rarely see CIJ strats in GC.

3. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

The Japanese Les Pauls are picking up in price these days. I'm talking about the Orville, Tokai, Greco, Burny, Edwards, & Epiphone Japan versions of the Les Paul. They have been on the market for several years, but it seems like the interest as picked up the past two years or so.

4. Oriental Blue

Oriental Blue Member

Hello from Tokyo.

Currently the best guitar builder in Japan is Crews Maniac Sound.

They are famous for having reproduced Clapton's strat to the last detail
    but they also have various good models of their own.
    The pic is my F-1 Limited and this is one of the best maple neck high-end
    guitars on earth. If you have a chance, please try Crews.

[​IMG]

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I just picked up a Fender Areodyne Strat, last week. It's a little different than other Strats, in that it doesn't have a pickguard, but it does have an arched top and body binding. The volume control, is moved about a 1/4" further from the strings. My go to guitar is a G&L ASAT. The Areodyne is easier to switch to than a normal Strat. It is a little quiter than other Strats I have owned. It does sound good, but I may make some changes to make it brighter sounding. As it is I find that I'm using the bridge pickup 90% of the time. I would like to take advantage of positions 2 and 4 more. Right now they sound a little bassey to me.

6. mischultz

mischultz Member

CS,

Start with the pickup height: you'd be surprised what even a half turn may do in terms of presence and power. If you're happy with the bridge (sounds like it) then start working with the middle pickup until you have an approximate match in level *and* you're happy with the tone in 2&3. Then do the same between the middle and neck. Sounds like you're close...

Best,

Michael

Oh, and on the subject, I think Fender does random signature models as CIJ for US distribution, but I've not seen any of the Standards or mainline RIs (maybe the 69 or 72 Tele?) over here.

7. Grap

Grap Member

About a year ago my bass player at the time had to make a short notice business trip to Tokyo. He jokingly asked me in the Pub the night before he left "Anything I can bring you back?". To which my reply was: "Yes. A Fender Japan '72 Tele Custom RI".

It came in at about US$550 ;)

Great guitar. Heven't thought about changing a thing on it.

- Steve

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

mischultz,

My pickup's are balanced volume wise. I tried adjusting the high string side up a little. I can't adjust individual pole peices, like the G&L's. I may have to try changing Pots or Caps or something. I'm used to bright sounding, Ash bodied guitars, but I do play them with the tone about 6 or 7, most of the time. I'm turning the tone to 10 on the Areodyne, and up on the amp until I notice more noise. I just don't feel like I have the range, like on my other guitars.

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Say Grap, what are the frets like on that guitar? Size? I like biggish frets.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think "MIJ" was used previously, and Fender changed over to the "CIJ" term at some point...not sure of the date, but probably late 90s? In other words, I don't think it's a quality issue...in fact, I found the older MIJs had a thinner finish than the later CIJs.
    Greg

11. fractal

fractal Member

Some models are made by Fender Japan only. My 50's Tele w/ Bigsby is CIJ, and it was bought from a regular Fender dealer. I don't believe that they make this model anywhere else BUT Japan. The strat 12 string is another, as is the Baritone Jazzmaster (I think that's what it is). I don't know which ones are selected to be built over there, or why they are. I don't even have the complete list of ones that are CIJ now. But, I'd sure love to see a rosewood strat with large frets and radiused fretboard come out of Japan...

<offtopic>Of course, I might just go for the 60's classic that I played recently and screw the ideal fretboard.</offtopic>

12. Izy

Izy Member

Played many CIJ and MIJ. Couldn't really feel, see or hear a difference.

Pups are the main weakness for the japanese guitars but some people like it. So to each its own.

I for one settle for a Japanese Van Zandt Strat. Love everything about it.
    except the previous owner swap the tuning nuts and the bridge pup. Wasn't too happy about it so i intend to swap the entire pups out with Suhr V60LP.

Then i think everything would fall into place.

Here's the link to a short interview about Van Zandt guitars:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/vanzandte.asp

Sweet guitars but so little is known about them. Pity!

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    To my knowledge, all Reissue models from Japan (non-export) have/had vintage style frets.

While I usually prefer medium jumbo frets and fatback necks, but my MIJ 62 RI has vintage style frets on a medium C neck, and it's worked out ok for me. Not the first thing I'd choose, but well executed for the price. And the dark rosewood fretboard is much nicer than most of the US Teles I've played in the past few years.

14. drolling

drolling Member

They've been making Gretsches there for a long time, but they've really improved in recent years. Got a beautiful 120th anniversary w/TV Jones pickups. Great guitar in every respect.