Current Speaker Similar to Fender/Utah?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I have a 1975 Silverface Deluxe Reverb amp that contains the Fender/Utah 12" speaker in 8 ohms. Is there a current production speaker that is a "clone" of this model? I really like the chime, hi-fi, and presence of the Utah in the 75 DR.

2. zenas

zenas Member

Not that I know of. That's not exactly a hot speaker in the vintage speaker market so used ones are pretty cheap.

Not saying those are bad in fact I'm supposed to meet a guy about a pair of '70s Fender stickered speakers he thinks came out of a Twin Reverb. He wants 50 bucks so I said I'll take them unless they're complete junk.
    What are they? Oxfords, Utahs, Rolas, JBLs? IDK. At 25 bucks a pop I don't care if they work.
    (JBLs would be a steal)

Unadan likes this.
  3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You might contact Jupiter and ask them which of their 12" model they think will give you that sound. They've been getting rave reviews.
    http://jupitercondenser.com/product-category/speakers/

Alltone 1250 and Tone Tubby San Rafael are only other speakers I can think of that might be close.

Unadan likes this.
  4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

OP, I have nothing useful to add to this thread, but does your Utah have the silver dust cap? I have a pair of these speakers and just recently installed one in my '69 DR. After trying many speakers and gravitating toward Celestions, I think the Utah sounds better than any speaker I've tried in this amp. Very well balanced across the tone spectrum.

Unadan likes this.
  5. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

In my experience the WGS ceramics remind me of those. And Jupiter are great, although I have only used their alnico models. Chris at Jupiter is really cool, give him a call.

Unadan likes this.
  6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Aren't the Weber DT speakers modeled after the Utah speakers Derek Trucks uses?

They offer a 12" version.

Unadan likes this.
  7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

The Utahs were voiced like the Oxfords and Jensens (I had Utahs in my '66 Pro Rverb that sounded great). Both Weber and Jensen currently make speakers that are supposed to sound like old Jensens and Oxfords.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Unadan likes this.
  8. Unadan

Unadan Member

Here is a photo:

[​IMG]

9. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

The Eminence Alessandro ceramic that came out recently looks like it might fit the bill.

Unadan likes this.
  10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Probably eminence from a 70's Twin. I have one. Pretty good speaker, big magnet...

Unadan likes this.
  11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

If you like the Utah have Orange County speaker recone it, or get another and have it shipped to them for recone. They are great with these and Oxfords. I had a Utah out of a Pro once in a DR and man that speaker was killer. Wish I hadn't sold it with that amp.
    Also (spam!) I have a brown label Utah like that that was reconed by Weber years ago. Never used. Let me know if interested.

Unadan likes this.
  12. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Bump! Just played a '66 Pro Reverb with Utahs that sounds AMAZING. Looking for THAT tone.

Unadan likes this.
  13. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Good call. Also Weber having aquired the Utah/ Pyle name - and even made similarly looking baskets - I'm possitive they would know this sound and in what way it differs from the expected Jensen sound.

Unadan likes this.
  14. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

Find an old Pyle guitar speaker.. Utah went into that

Unadan likes this.