Current state of strat noiseless pickups

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
So I have a stock Am Std Strat that plays like butter and sounds great acoustically, but I've never really bonded with the stock pickups. Kind of bright and thin and f*cking noisy to the point that I'm not even moved to plug it in.

So I'm looking to maybe get a replacement pickguard with two noiseless singles and a bridge humbucker, which would presumably give me versatility closer to my PRSi.

What are the current best options that I should be considering?

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
I recently purchased a Fender Elite Strat SSH and it has the newest version of their noiseless pickups (Generation 4) and a Shawbucker Humbucker in the bridge. The N4's are "fat" sounding pickups, the output of the middle and neck pickups are 10.3K . They really sing when hit with OD ...However I find the Shawbucker to be too bright, I would prefer a more rounded hum !

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I recently purchased a Fender Elite Strat SSH and it has the newest version of their noiseless pickups (Generation 4) and a Shawbucker Humbucker in the bridge. The N4's are "fat" sounding pickups, the output of the middle and neck pickups are 10.3K . They really sing when hit with OD ...However I find the Shawbucker to be too bright, I would prefer a more rounded hum !
How's the clean tone in the neck and middle?

sub rosa

So I have a stock Am Std Strat that plays like butter and sounds great acoustically, but I've never really bonded with the stock pickups. Kind of bright and thin and f*cking noisy to the point that I'm not even moved to plug it in.
Which generation American Standard? Do you know what pickups are in it currently?

sub rosa

2010, should be Alnico V pickups
Same as mine then.

I whipped mine out for noiseless a couple of years ago, but not because of a tone thing.

Anyway, I went with Kinman Impersonator 56s, aka the “Knopfler” set, they sound really good in all positions.

A part of me wants to go back to non-noiseless though.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Get the SSL1's and an Ilitch Backplate Silent Single Coil system - that's the exact recipe that I put in an EC Strat - it sounded amazing, the SSL1's are classic mid-to-late 50's single coils and the Backplate SSC lets them carry on in full fidelity without the hum. Best solution - best single coil tone. I have that SSC factory installed on a Suhr S-Classic, and a Cavity Single Coil System in the back of a 50's Tribute Les Paul w/stock Gibson P90's - they really work. Finally sold the EC strat it was a very heavy production model - the Suhr replaced it with a Demeter Pat Control pedal on my board.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried practically everything and none of them stuck for long. Stacked coils sound dark and muffled especially in 2/4, blades can sound too hot or too thin.

If I were buying today, I'd look at the Fralin split blades and be ready to give up some of the traditional tone.

Otherwise as mentioned above, a set of SSL-1's with an Illitch system would be a good route to take.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
I just installed the Ilitch SSC system in my Strat. It’s great. I always liked the pickups in my Strat, but had real hum issues in my room. The SSC took away about 80% of the noise. The 1/3/5 positions are as quiet as the 2/4. I notice no difference in the tone of the guitar- I’ve had those pickups for a decade, and would notice a change.

Trending Topics