• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Current State of the Pedal Demo World

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Some reviewers or demoers if you prefer have way more skill as a player as well as a producer than I do. I like their demos but take with that grain of salt that I'll probably not get results nearly as good. But still they are giving you an idea of the pedal's capabilities.

Harald

It is called influencer marketing. Its a way to make a living, especially these days when music itself seems almost impossible to live on.

I watch a few channels (TPS, hp42) because I do love the content. And I'm sure that I am indeed being influenced. I'm ok with that. So I'm not saying that what is going on is in any way wrong, I'm just saying it is what it is and these guys though I am sure they are very nice people are not friends of mine just because I've watched their videos for years. I don't exist to them as a person, just as a viewer.

Shameless plug: I don’t generally give a review of any pedals in my demos - maybe some gimmicky title in order to standout on YouTube.

I’ve been very careful to make the pedals do the talking in all my demos. I’ve also done my best to write music that plays to the pedal.

Admittedly, as a demoer, it’s getting harder to distinguish yourself from others. But my philosophy is to make it about the pedal and not about me. I don’t appear in any of my videos, I don’t do any talking and I don’t do any EQ tricks. What you hear is what the mic picks up.

Sam Xavier

I watch Pete Thorn, Rabea Massaad, Andertons and a couple of others. None of 'em are reviews but I know between them I'll get some good playing and a fair showing of the pedal's capabilities.

Maybe the problem is in your expectations? You're wanting people to crap on a bunch of gear, so you know the best of the best to make your choice easier? The reality is that everything sounds better in 2020, the tech to mass produce good gear is worldwide. You should be happy!!! Most gear actually is really good!
TBH though, the flip-side of this is if why if everything in 2020 sounds great, do they not criticize things for being over-priced?

Pedals are also more expensive than they've ever been. Delays at $500, Drive pedals at $200-$300, reverbs $300.

so either, the stuff that's priced at $100 is good but significantly worse than the more expensive stuff and could be reviewed with today's standards in mind, or certain companies are taking consumers for a ride with over-priced stuff.

7thString

Shameless plug: I don’t generally give a review of any pedals in my demos - maybe some gimmicky title in order to standout on YouTube.

I’ve been very careful to make the pedals do the talking in all my demos. I’ve also done my best to write music that plays to the pedal.

Admittedly, as a demoer, it’s getting harder to distinguish yourself from others. But my philosophy is to make it about the pedal and not about me. I don’t appear in any of my videos, I don’t do any talking and I don’t do any EQ tricks. What you hear is what the mic picks up.
Yours are great indeed! Massive back-catalogue too

Nacho8807

I actually love pedal demos and reviews these days. There are so many people out there with different styles and rigs who can give me a really good idea of what a pedal can do for me. If they get good, representative sounds from it, and clearly communicate the features and how they like using it, then I have all I need to know if I want something or not.

aaronjcurtis

Reminds me of when Chase Bliss released the Spectre. I’d watch the Knobs demo of it and think “wow, amazing!”, then I got the pedal and was like “WTF!” Something had to have been wrong with mine, no, it was that those people demoing it, including the Chase Bliss channel, had filtered out most if not all of the analog noise. Was still a cool pedal, but the demos were certainly not a representation of what it sounded like in person. Premier Guitar was the only remotely truthful demo in terms of that analog white noise it produced.

Not bothered at all- like others have noted, it seems like most that videos I see are labeled as "Demos" not reviews. Such a great variety of channels out there- from professional to hobbyist- that allow one to get a good sense of tones. Couple that with more critical "reviews" (mostly TGP and other boards) and I feel like there's more info than I'd ever need when considering a pedal or piece of gear.

Sea_Dweller

Reminds me of when Chase Bliss released the Spectre. I’d watch the Knobs demo of it and think “wow, amazing!”, then I got the pedal and was like “WTF!” Something had to have been wrong with mine, no, it was that those people demoing it, including the Chase Bliss channel, had filtered out most if not all of the analog noise. Was still a cool pedal, but the demos were certainly not a representation of what it sounded like in person. Premier Guitar was the only remotely truthful demo in terms of that analog white noise it produced.
This is something concerning that I’ve been noticing. EQ’ing and post production in the DAW without mentioning it.

sometimes they say “it’s just the pedal going direct into the audio intrface” and it’s clearly not JUST that. What’s going on in the DAW. More transparency would be nice.

AVWIII

I'm fairly sick of pedal demos. I don't think i've ended up enjoying a single drive pedal I've purchased off the merit of a demo video. There are just too many variables.
Modulation and time based effects come through a lot better.
The one channel I still enjoy is The Pedal Bored.
They seem unaffiliated with any brand, dont talk, run the same (entertaining) loop through every pedal, play to the strength of the effect, and let you draw your conclusions.

Sea_Dweller

I’ve struggled with this too. on one hand I think we are lucky to have so many demo videos to choose from, especially when there are multiple demos of a pedal you’re interested in...you get to hear it in various set ups.

but, I’ve found that some demo folks EQ stuff and aren’t providing a true representation of what the pedal sounds like.

And I wish there were “real reviews” that offer critical opinions on gear. It seems we’ve transitioned into this “can’t say anything bad about anything” culture because of some fear or another. I don’t know.

I have had actual demo people tell me they’ve turned pedals away to demo because they didn’t like it...I would love To know those pedals and why they didn’t like it! But again, people are so precious these days and nobody wants to hurt anyones feelings. Then how can these builders get better? Maybe some honest criticism would push them to do better? To try different things. To grow...
I think you said everything here that I was trying to say more concise! Well done and I 100% agree with this.

Honestly, I have a studio setup now that I am very happy with so I don’t really need these guys telling me what I like and what I don’t like, I figured that out, But I do watch them as a hobbyist and I just don’t like the fake, overly kind, praise everything attitude.

It comes off like they are all in this snobby exclusive club where they pass pedals around to their buddies and all pat each other on the back. When I’ve asked questions to some of these guys I would get snobby answers back that we’re just no help at all. I don’t like the attitude that’s developing like “just buy this amazing new thing from my friends pedal company and don’t ask questions.”

Sea_Dweller

Btw, never ask Any of these guys if they like pedal A or pedal B better. They‘ll chew you out!

they’ll give you that tired snobby answer: “They are both different and I think it’s counterproductive to blah blah blah...”

it’s like, dude, I know they’re different, I’m asking what YOU would prefer if you had to choose. I want to hear your opinion Not a censored response.

And I know why they won’t answer it. They’re afraid you’ll post the response on a forum and their buddy at chase bliss will find out they said a pedal from another company is better and you’ll shatter their “always pat your buddy on the back” world. Then maybe they won’t get the next pedal for free.

I have found smaller, more honest demoers but I am worried about these more popular guys and the industry “fakeness” they are creating.

I love this one guy who always says the Chase Bliss Thermae is the best delay pedal ever but rarely puts it on his board builds. That’s a faker.

Last edited:

Trending Topics