Current Sunlion?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
anybody pick one of these up recently? I've got an itch. It started with a swart AST MKII and I picked up a fuzzyboost and an atomic boost.

I like the fuzzy boost but not as much for the "fuzz" tones as much as the overdrive kind of stuff. The atomic boost is fussy as far as noise goes so it's probably on its way out regardless. On top of that it's kind of annoying to have to unplug 2 pedals and it screws up my pedal spacing too.

The sunlion seems like a natural choice to replace them. I've heard the fuzzyboost be compared to the NKT but as far as I can tell that's not used anymore. Is it the 2SB now? Anybody tried that?

Krausewitz

I have one. Bought it because it was cheaper than just getting a new Sunface, so figured might as well.

I find the boost utterly worthless. It adds this slight cocked wah sort of sound that I hate.

I will likely wind up selling it and waiting around for a stand-alone CV7005 Sunface.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I have one. Bought it because it was cheaper than just getting a new Sunface, so figured might as well.

I find the boost utterly worthless. It adds this slight cocked wah sort of sound that I hate.

I will likely wind up selling it and waiting around for a stand-alone CV7005 Sunface.

What's the rest of your rig like? What kind of amp?

MoonshineMan

Fwiw, I've got an MJM London Fuzz Ge that's chased by an AM Beano and it's amazing. That's basically a Sunlion. Sounds like opinions vary, but it's one of my favorite sounds, and I look for excuses to use it. I swear it could be a xmas carol and I'd Fuzz up and Beano the brains out of it.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Fwiw, I've got an MJM London Fuzz Ge that's chased by an AM Beano and it's amazing. That's basically a Sunlion. Sounds like opinions vary, but it's one of my favorite sounds, and I look for excuses to use it. I swear it could be a xmas carol and I'd Fuzz up and Beano the brains out of it.

Yeah I've considered separate pedals similar to how I have the swarts but the idea of them being in one package is pretty nice.

Krausewitz

What's the rest of your rig like? What kind of amp?

I've only tried it on a little practice rig (still home for the holidays), so right now a Vox AC4 and a Kingsley Harlot. Things sound great, then I'll kick on the boost (just kind of testing things out before I go home) and it sounds good...but has this kind of nasal thing going on no matter what I do.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I've only tried it on a little practice rig (still home for the holidays), so right now a Vox AC4 and a Kingsley Harlot. Things sound great, then I'll kick on the boost (just kind of testing things out before I go home) and it sounds good...but has this kind of nasal thing going on no matter what I do.

Is it a clean amp? I think treble boosters are meant to be used with amps already breaking up. I know my atomic boost sounds way different with the amp clean than when it's cooking. It's a good pedal but sometimes it's too damn noisy to use for whatever reason.

MoonshineMan

Yes, the Beano sounds way better into a smoking amp. I haven't tried it into the 2204 while the mv was down, but it's glorious with it cranked. Same with the tweed, although it does cool stuff to the clean tones.

bluesoul

I have an older NKT 275 loaded Sunlion....one of the pedals I will be buried with. I was not expecting much from the Beano side...but I use it as much as the Sunface side. Sunlion simply makes my socks go up and down.
CV7005 Sunface....have one of these too...outstanding comes to mind! If I was getting a new Sunlion I would get it with CV7005.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I have an older NKT 275 loaded Sunlion....one of the pedals I will be buried with. I was not expecting much from the Beano side...but I use it as much as the Sunface side. Sunlion simply makes my socks go up and down.
CV7005 Sunface....have one of these too...outstanding comes to mind! If I was getting a new Sunlion I would get it with CV7005.

Thanks! Does that one clean up pretty well?

bluesoul

Thanks! Does that one clean up pretty well?

It cleans up exceptionally well.
A little more on the Sunlion. I look at it this way...you get a Sunface plus the Beano. The Beano boast as mentioned by MoonShineman sounds great when the amp is breaking up...and it does. Killer for giving that extra stuff! But it works well with the sunface too...both on. With a clean amp it can sound great when stacked with an OD. So...overall, it can give you a lot of things that a single fuzz can't...more versatility. IMO...it is a must have pedal for anyone who digs fuzz. No brainer really!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
It cleans up exceptionally well.
A little more on the Sunlion. I look at it this way...you get a Sunface plus the Beano. The Beano boast as mentioned by MoonShineman sounds great when the amp is breaking up...and it does. Killer for giving that extra stuff! But it works well with the sunface too...both on. With a clean amp it can sound great when stacked with an OD. So...overall, it can give you a lot of things that a single fuzz can't...more versatility. IMO...it is a must have pedal for anyone who digs fuzz. No brainer really!

Well hell yeah!

Whiskey N Beans

Silver Supporting Member

Yep. That's a Sunlion. Sounds better at stage volume than bedroom or studio. Worth having and will always sound right on into a cooking amp.

Krausewitz

Is it a clean amp? I think treble boosters are meant to be used with amps already breaking up. I know my atomic boost sounds way different with the amp clean than when it's cooking. It's a good pedal but sometimes it's too damn noisy to use for whatever reason.

For the time being I'm running it into a Kingsley Harlot, which effectively is a breaking up amp.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
I have an original Sunlion too, with white dot NKT275s. I picked it up for relatively short money back in 2007. I'll never sell it. Incredible fuzz pedal with amazing cleanup capabilities. I use the Beano boost in conjunction with other overdrives and it's amazing this way.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I have an original Sunlion too, with white dot NKT275s. I picked it up for relatively short money back in 2007. I'll never sell it. Incredible fuzz pedal with amazing cleanup capabilities. I use the Beano boost in conjunction with other overdrives and it's amazing this way.

Ugh pass the pepto I'm having GAS pains!

Fogletone

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a cv7005 beano matched with white dot nkt275 Sunface, so it's a make shift Sunlion. The cv7005 beano is a little thinner than I remember my white dot beano being, but their was probably a 5 year gap between owning the old one and the cv7005, so I could be running my amp differently o remembering something that didn't happen. I love my LP neck pickup with the beano and the bridge pickup sounds awesome with slide.

My old Sunface is just crazy good though. Sometimes I run the vol and fuzz maxed out other times turn one or both of the knobs down. I never really mess with the sun dial, although I probably should.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
20161230_104503_1483112704489_zpsftncibuv.jpg

CV7005 version. Just got this a few weeks ago. Really like it but honestly I haven't tried the others.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom