Curt Mangan strings...do they break easily?

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I bought some Curt Mangan strings and I've broken a couple strings already on two guitars. They are only about 10 days old, and I rarely break strings. :dunno

Last edited:

joemesser

Hey GAT, I love Mangan strings and have used them for a year or two now. I never break strings in general and the Mangan's have been no exception. I do change my strings once a week or so though.

BigViolin

Well played Sir. :cool:

Big Mike's a dealer perhaps he knows if there has been any issues. Same as you, I can't hardly remember the last time I broke a string, must be something.

Same guitar, same spot?

realityczech

Most likely a bad batch production thing. Which happens.
Given the ratio between happy campers and broken strings should not be a problem.
Logic dictates you would contact Curt first... but that would be silly.

GAT

Most likely a bad batch production thing. Which happens.
Given the ratio between happy campers and broken strings should not be a problem.
Logic dictates you would contact Curt first... but that would be silly.
You again...

Not silly, just asking others about their experience.

GAT

BTW, I put a set on my Collings I35 LC and broke one at the gig the next day, so they were brand new.

Then tonight in rehearsal I broke one on my my strat, those were about 10 days old and only about an hour.

No big deal, but I haven't broken a string in a couple years.

I'll call Curt and tell him about it.

big mike

Cathode biased
Not an issue I know of.
I rarely break a string unless they're a month old or something.
Could just be they don't agree with your body chemistry?
Where are they breaking on you?

GAT

Both at the bridge.

I'll replace them and see if it happens again. I'm not heavy handed when I play.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
BTW, I put a set on my Collings I35 LC and broke one at the gig the next day, so they were brand new.

Then tonight in rehearsal I broke one on my my strat, those were about 10 days old and only about an hour.

No big deal, but I haven't broken a string in a couple years.

I'll call Curt and tell him about it.
Same thing happened to me. Bought a guitar from a friend that had a near-new set of Magnans on it. Broke a string at a gig a couple days later. That almost never happens to me. Back to D'Addarios.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Fixed or trem bridges? Check for burrs or irregularities? They do creep up on guitars, especially someone like you that plays them regularly.

Where at on the string- right at the ball end or at the angle of the bridge?

I've used them without any problems- I like them quite a bit.

stairs

same with me. i never brake strings on any of my guitars but happened with these, the Mangans. on 2 different guitars. i have no idea what would be the problem

otherwise i really really liked them. one of the best strings i tried. but the hassle of getting them over here in Europe, made me change my mind

frickengruvin

Gold Supporting Member
Great sounding strings to my ears. I just installed a .009-.042 round core solid nickel set on my Ric 360-12v64, and one of the treble "E" strings broke....at the bridge. Other than that occurance, I'm real happy with their performance to this point...

scottl

I have used them for a couple years extensively. I have had no unusual string breakage issues. I am fairly heavy handed and use a 2MM pick too! I don't change them much either. Occasionally I snap the .11 E, but only if it is real old. No different than my experience with other brands.

EDIT: I have an endorsement with them and bought a box of packs a couple years ago. My strings are from that era.

Last edited:

jms6668

same with me. i never brake strings on any of my guitars but happened with these, the Mangans. on 2 different guitars. i have no idea what would be the problem

otherwise i really really liked them. one of the best strings i tried. but the hassle of getting them over here in Europe, made me change my mind
I was reluctant to post on here as I did not want to seemingly pile on dirt on a company that has been cool to me in my dealings with them; BUT:

I went on the road in Europe twice last year (3 weeks to a month each time, Fall and Spring, same 2 Les Pauls, same band, same music). First with D'addarios (my usual, on-the-road string brand. They don't break on me and are easy to find world-wide, just in case). With the D'add's, no problem, as expected.

As per being a TGP member, I dabbled in other companies when I had the time, and I really dug the Mangans. Ordered a box of 11-49's and hit the road again.

Well..... it was not a good experience, the most string breakage I have experienced on the road, by far. Mainly the D string. I contacted them when I got back and they set me a pack of D strings to compensate.

They sound and feel great, At home or in the studio, maybe they are not designed for the riguors of the road (like many boutique products that I have used)........ BTW, I realize 100% that it could have just been a bad batch, but I am not sure I want a repeat of that many on-stage string breaks again. Embarrassing.

Dana Olsen

I've been using the 9.5's and the 10's, both in nickel wrap and pure nickel, for a couple years now.

I've never broken one, but like you GAT, I rarely break strings. I think the Mangan strings feel and sound great, and I like those guys too. They're my current favorites - I find they last longer for me too.

Thanks, Dana O.

Trending Topics