Curt Mangan strings...WOW!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rubbersoul, May 10, 2015.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I've been playing Pyramid pure nickel 10-46's for years...but decided to buy a set of Mangans on a whim. They're great...wish I had tried them earlier. I've got 'em on a 1974 Ibanez LP copy...completely transformed that guitar.

If you haven't given them a try...you should!

2. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I've been a convert for a couple years now. Use them exclusively now. I'm afraid to try Thomastik-Infeld -- they're pretty pricey but get rave reviews.

3. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Same here, been loving the Mangans for about 4 years, have them on most of my guitars. Consistently excellent tone and feel.

The Thomastiks are also excellent. They are pricey, but sound great. I've tried the Jazz, Sliders and Power brights on specific guitars and liked them.

But overall, by far most of my guitars have Mangans on them.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Funny, my latest string-wow came from Pyramid Maximum Performance. :)
    Never tried the Pyramid pure nickels, but used plenty of the Mangans, killer strings.

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Pyramids...you should try the pure nickels, they're great.

But these Mangans are pretty nice!

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I have a few sets of the pure nickels coming actually so I get to try them soon. :)
    Pyramid is less expensive than Mangan here so I'm happy I found an European alternative I really like.

7. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I like pyramids and mangans both but have been using thomastiks on electric acoustic. And bass guitars for about 15 years now. They really are in a different league (to me). I know the price can put folks off but if you skip a strong change you are almost even

8. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Had a similar reaction/experience after switching from DR. Love these strings. Awesome tone and quality is top notch. The only others I like are NYXL's. But Mangan strings are on almost all my guitars.

9. jrjones

jrjones Member

I love them. There used to be a shop right across the street from where I work that carried them. Then they closed and the nearest shop that carries them is 30 minutes away. So now I use d'addarios. With someone else would pick up their strings.

10. misisipimike

misisipimike Supporting Member

Pure nickels, I have to try those. I have been a DR guy for a while but you know how restless some of us are!

11. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I have played em all! and I love my Mangan coated hybrid set! Also check out Everly "Vostok" - Nickel Alloy Cryo strings~Absolutely killer tone and lasting playability for normal prices!!

12. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I'm thinking about getting a set of the Pure Nickles. Goal being to take a little sharpness off the top end and add more character/warmth to the low end of my Strat.

Sound about right?

I play some kind of space rock - Gratefu Dead, MBV, Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd. If that helps indicate something.

13. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

I didn't think they sounded or felt any better, had poor intonation, and didn't last as long as Ernie balls. Oh, and cost 3x what I'm used to paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If you are paying 3x the price of E.balls for your mangans, tone is not your first issue.
    The benefit of Balls is wide availability.

15. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I really like the Mangan Pure Nickels I've tried... Right up there in quality with the Pyramid Classic Nickel orange packs, but maybe a little lighter string tension in the same gauge and a little brighter (?). The Pyramids are my favorite (I run Teles) but the Mangans are terrific too!

16. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Same here. I like Mangan Pure Nickels, but prefer the Pyramid Classics.

17. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

You can order directly from Mangan. You can keep the price down by ordering 6-packs. Mangan also has promotional discounts occasionally, you can get on their email list for notifications.

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan, and endorser of Mangan Strings.. I still pay for them.. They add more tone to all my guitars.. And the feel is just right,.. I use their 9.5 to 44 guage on my Fenders and their 0.10 to 46 guage on all my Gibsons... Great strings from Colorado! Huge improvement when compared to all the major brand stuff you buy in music stores...

19. popvulture

popvulture Member

Contrary to what someone else said, I was shocked at how long Mangans last. To be clear though, I'm saying this in a hold-their-tone way vs string breakage. Can't speak to the latter, as I'm not a super heavy player and typically don't end up breaking strings.

But yep, the Mangans I've used have sounded good longer than any other strings I've tried.

20. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

They are the best strings I've ever used, and backed by a company with superior customer service. I am a fan for life.