• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Curtis Mayfield

tsar nicholas

Unquestionably one of my favorite singers, songwriters, and guitarists. His influence on RnB / funk is incalculable. "Back to the World" and "Super Fly" are two of the greatest LPs of the 70s, and the Impressions made some beautiful music as well. And is there a better song in the world than "Pusherman?" I think not.

As a teenager, I was completely obsessed by his cool comping style and impossibly sweet singing voice. It was devastating to me when he was horridly injured.

msteeln

Boy, did I have to defend the SuperFly LP when I busted that newbee out back then, now it's respected, but for many it was a far step outside the rock circle.

chervokas

A musical giant and a great spirit. If you can listen to "We're a Winner" without being moved and uplifted in both body and soul, jack, you're dead.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
One of my absolute favorites. Super Fly is a masterpiece. He was such a positive, talented, wonderful musician. I have nothing but the up-most respect and good feelings about him and his music. So sad what happened to him, but he still kept writing and recording. I find him truly inspirational in many ways.

lhallam

Boy, did I have to defend the SuperFly LP when I busted that newbee out back then, now it's respected, but for many it was a far step outside the rock circle.

All my pals loved it. If our singer could handle it we would've done a couple of cuts.

Broke my heart when Curtis got hurt so badly.

loudboy

I'm wearing my Curtis Mayfield T-shirt today!

$(KGrHqEOKowE3HGei87cBN42pH10Dg~~_35.JPG

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
If you look up "cool" in the dictionary, there will be a picture of Curtis. You know, the picture is worth a thousand words thing.

msteeln

All my pals loved it.
And rightfully so. Mine were all about Coop, Sabbath, etc., which are still mine today, but I got revenge for Curtis when they foolishly went to an early Queen show and came back all PO'd due to Mercury's bulgey prancing... HA! Curtis wasn't so bad after that. I didn't let up on it for a week.

lhallam

And rightfully so. Mine were all about Coop, Sabbath, etc., which are still mine today, but I got revenge for Curtis when they foolishly went to an early Queen show and came back all PO'd due to Mercury's bulgey prancing... HA! Curtis wasn't so bad after that. I didn't let up on it for a week.

I would've reminded them that Jimi got a lot of rhythm ideas from Curtis.

There was something about Curtis that beamed a beautiful soul, you could just hear it in his voice.

tsar nicholas

There was something about Curtis that beamed a beautiful soul, you could just hear it in his voice.

^ yeah, indeed -- just a purity and shining love in that voice, transcendant. Even when he was singing about the evils of society. Especially then.

Top Bottom