Curtis Novak...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lemuel.Tan, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Anyone heard of this guy or his pickups? I had a glowing review of this guy's pickups from my guitar tech but I haven't heard them anywhere before. Owners, please chime in...

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I'm building a Jazzmaster for someone w/ his pickups ( which are APPARENTLY the shizit ) and called him and talked for 20 minutes

Supposedly, among JM owners, he's THE guy - but after talking w/ him he build all sorts of pickups. I'm gonna try a set of teles on a new build

he JUST went full-time after leaving a day job so he's not as known as Lollar, Fralin, etc.. but he is apparently winding GREAT stuff

3. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Super cool laid back guy. Built me set of his handwound tele pups and having him do a set strat pups too. He knows of what he speaks. Small enough yet, to do real custom work; kinda well kept secret. His pickups are not super high priced but you can't rush the guy either. I like to see pups signed, numbered, and dated; regular artwork.

Sometimes hard to get up with, I usually catch him early 9 am with phone call. When you're done talkin with him, you know for sure what I'm talkin about is the complete truth. Order early, I get the feeling Curt's not into blowing out quantity; why his pups are so great.

4. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    Curtis is 'the Man", He really has done his homework ... and he doesn't just wind one style ... He did a Custom set of P-90's for me and they are GREAT sounding!!!!!!!!!! Can't say enough about him as a person either, He was featured in the Euro Magazine 'Vintage Buyer' last month. He made a Custom Tele for my Pal, Luis Campos, and 3 Custom build's for another friend B Bolz (LP Special in TV yellow, fiesta red Strat, and another Tele, all are spectacular, and they sound better than they Look) I agree with Zhurh he can be hard to get to, but well worth the wait, definitely into Quality, not Quantity ...
    We miss him here in New Mexico!
    Tell him we said High!

:BluesBros

5. Strat

Strat Member

The best in Jazzmaster pickups, about the best in vintage fender style guitars as well, despite the real world price.....yes I've played or owned the others.....

6. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

In particular, how do his strat pickups sound? Any reference to any other pickup maker?

7. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Theyre amazing.... period.

Really though. The clarity and bell tone of his strat pups are amazing.

8. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

9. doublee

doublee Member

I have tried 3x to contact him recently regarding paint colors with no result. Both email and the # on his site. Anyone have a better contact?

10. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I know he was on vacation until last week...Anyway his pickups are great! I have a Tele neck he wound for me. He is a mod on the ReRanch board and does custom finish work as well as pickups. He's probably more well known for Jaguar and Jazzmaster pickups but I can tell you his Tele pickups are top notch too.

11. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

I should have my Kirn strat by late July and she will have Curt's pups in her, can't wait. I always get a hold of him 2nd time I call; mostly mid morning; you won't find better people than Curt. No joke, I'd trust bout anything he said concerning guitars & gear.

12. codyj84

codyj84 Member

13. Ed-Venture

Ed-Venture Member

I've got a set of his strat pups. Their awesome, and quiet as a mouse.
    Highly recommend.

14. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

Curt is a world class act... he does special winds for Fender's Masterbuilt Custom Shop projects.. that's Their highest level... as for sound.. the real bottom line...there's none finer... He also posses a brilliant understanding of Electronics, something many pickup winders do not.

Ron Kirn

15. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Curt's a buddy, so I'm biased. His Tele pickups have edged out many others that I love, including Lollar, Fralin, Hamel and Don Mare's, to mention a few. His P-90's are about as authentic as any I've heard - if you want old Freddy King or Leslie West tones, his are the P-90's for you. I can only imagine that he's nailed the jaguar and Jazzmaster tone. His Filtertrons are amazing, and I also test-drove a PAF-style humbucker he sent me, which was beautiful in the neck position. I think Rich Brotherton has that pickup in his PRS now.

Curt knows his stuff inside and out, and is a great guy. Ironically, since he left his stressful job at Los Alamos, he's busier and harder to get ahold of. But worth the effort.

16. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I've never bought a pickup from him, but I'm super impressed by the fact that he may the only pup maker that seems to know anything about Guild's old "P90" type pickups. They were made by a company called "Franz", and Curtis has a picture and a little blurb about rewinding one on his site. It shows one completely disassembled. He's probably the only guy I know that may be able to wind a pickup that sounds like those old Guild pickups.

17. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to rehearse nearby his house when he lived in Santa Fe. Played many of his guitars and his pickups are everything you'd ever dream of in a pickup.
    Articulate and warm.

RC

18. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

I just thought I'd add that I just put two of Curtis' pickups in my CIJ Jaguar and they sound fabulous. For $160 a pair, they are well worth it. If word of these things continues to spread, they won't stay that cheap for long.

19. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Finally got my goldtop tele with Curt's handwounds; completely satisfied; never heard anything that sound quite like them to compare to; all I've been playing last couple weeks and luv them more each day.

Can't wait to get my strat from RK with Curt's pups.

20. shally

shally Member

yes indeed

check out jason lollar for ANY pickup

check out dave stephens for ANY pickup

i have no experience with novack, except by rep which is superb.. but i have personal experience with the other 2 and highly recommend them both...

also van zandt and lindy fralin put out terrifc strat models