• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Cusack Tap-a-Phase vs. Blackout Effectors Whetstone Analog Phaser

Slush

Hey guys!

Trying to decide which phaser pedal I should try. I like the idea of a tap tempo on the Cusack but to my ears the Whetstone sounds a little better on the youtube clips I checked out.

Any opinions on either pedal? It's hard to judge the pedals on clips alone since video recordings don't always do the pedals in question any justice.

Any real users out there? Which would you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance!

stockment

I had the cusack, and the tap tempo switch was awesome for my phasing purposes. I'd still have it if I could justify the real estate for an effect that I ultimately don't use very often.

Bobby D

they are almost apples and oranges, even tho they are both phasers

the Cusack is the more modern of the two -- the waveforms are really cool, the tap tempo is cool, and you can get some truly unique sounds with the Cusack -- if doing tempo synced effects is going to be essential to you, get the Cusack:bow

the Whetstone is more of a warm, smooth, classic phaser, but with a whol bunch of options. I love the "asymetrical" option on the Whetstone, it allows you to get UNIVIBE like "throb".

the range knob turns the Whetstone into SEVERAL different styles of phase sounds with the twist of a knob

the low pass/all pass filter option gives you more cool sonic options.

the VIBRATO mode is not mentioned much on the Whetstone, and it is AWESOME.......this mode gives you "instant Bill Frisell" textures, and it sounds very much like pitch modulation it's VERY different sounding than the phase mode, and if this circuit was boxed up as a dedicated vibrato pedal, i bet it would sell and be quite popular on its own! :love:

"shallow and wide" switch gives you a LOT of range to take the phaser from sweet subtle phase that just lightly shimmers under the surface of the sound all the way to HEAVY 70s throbbing phase!

i have owned a lot of phasers, starting with the MXR phase 90 and EHX SMall Stone back in the early 80s, and i LOVE phase shifters :D

the WHETSTONE may be the most full featured, toneful, and FUN phaser to play i have ever had.

if you just want ONE good phase sound, get an MXR phase 90.

if you want a phaser than can do classic phase sounds, modern phase sounds, KILLER vibrato, the ability to work well with synths as well as guitar, can cop a nice univibe sound, and you have the ROOM to fit it on your board --- GET THE WHETSTONE!!!

these are complicated beasts - it must be pretty labor instensive to build - so if you want one snag one NOW before Blackout Effectors come to their senses and stop building them (at which point, they will probably go up in value dramatically:rotflmao)

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I like my Whetstone, but do not love it. I'm not crazy about the Vibrato mode actually, its more throb than pitch modulation, the 2- stage is way to subtle for me and the Feedback knob from 1 until about 6 does almost nothing to the signal. I bought a V1 and when I had it upgraded to a V2 I asked them to look and see if the Feedback knob was normal as it essentially did nothing noticeable from 1-6 and then from 6-10 goes extreme. Similar to the Color switch on Small Stone. In fact its almost like a switch as I cannot get really any variation. Anyways, they said it was working normally.

I love phasers as well. By far my favorite modulation type. I really like the Red Witch Moon Phaser and am trying desperately to get hold of a Maxon PH-350. The Feedback knob on that is what I was hoping the Whetstone would behave like. But nope...

Its not a bad phaser at all. It sound good. i just wish it was... more? I don;t know. The Feedback knob thing just really annoys me.

I'll keep it as I do like it for the most part. I just think there's other ones out there that are better. I probably wouldn't buy it again though if something happened to it.

Auxjoel

I like my Whetstone, but do not love it. I'm not crazy about the Vibrato mode actually, its more throb than pitch modulation, the 2- stage is way to subtle for me and the Feedback knob from 1 until about 6 does almost nothing to the signal. I bought a V1 and when I had it upgraded to a V2 I asked them to look and see if the Feedback knob was normal as it essentially did nothing noticeable from 1-6 and then from 6-10 goes extreme. Similar to the Color switch on Small Stone. In fact its almost like a switch as I cannot get really any variation. Anyways, they said it was working normally.

I love phasers as well. By far my favorite modulation type. I really like the Red Witch Moon Phaser and am trying desperately to get hold of a Maxon PH-350. The Feedback knob on that is what I was hoping the Whetstone would behave like. But nope...

Its not a bad phaser at all. It sound good. i just wish it was... more? I don;t know. The Feedback knob thing just really annoys me.

I'll keep it as I do like it for the most part. I just think there's other ones out there that are better. I probably wouldn't buy it again though if something happened to it.
old thread I know, but just curious about the V1 whetstone. is it usable or does it have issues that make it unplayable that a v2 will fix?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom