Cusack Tap-a-whirl Tremolo... anybody played/own it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davidkiddmusic, Nov 1, 2005.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these pedals at all or have played one. Im very interested in potentially purchasing one for the tap tempo but want to check it our first what its deal is sonically first. I need some input. Anyboday played, own, love it, hate it, whatever? What other trem out there would you compare it to?

thanks a mil.

2. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

You may have to wait a few days for feedback, I just started shipping this week.

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

oh and heres the link to it on Jons site:

Whirl link

it is really amazing the things he crammed into this .... ramping, lots of wave shapes , and it sounds great. a new standard for trem junkies.....

5. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

CUSACKMUSIC, person message just sent. Thanks.

6. vooter

vooter Member

I've had it for a couple of days now and it's pretty sweet

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'm still waiting for mine.... tick.... tick..... tick.... :(

:)

8. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all! I've had my Ta-A-Whirl for two days now. It's serial number #12 (it's engraved on the top). I've only had the possiblity to try it out with below-bedroom-level volumes, so it's difficult to tell very much about the tone. At least it doesn''t seem to color the tone while bypassed. It seems very sturdy and well-built, though I know nothing about electronics.

I'm still practising tapping the tempo at right speed. The switches feel a bit stiff, and as a beginning tapper I'm quite often left with a tempo that is a bit too slow or fast. BUT I am learning and progress is happening. I could see myself hitting the correct tempos at 80% accurace in a couple of days. Practise makes perfect!

More to come when I have the change to crank it over the weekend.

9. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

FYI,

We have just finished engraving the Black Tap-A-Whirls, so if you have one on order, it should ship today or tomorrow...

Thanks for the great feedback so far!

10. Yek

Yek Member

I ordered one. John, how long for it to ship to The Netherlands?

11. Brakhage

Brakhage Member

Mine is waiting for me at the post office....cant wait.

12. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Hey Yek, yours should shipp today or tomorrow also. I think it's about 1-2 weeks? It's going Global Priority Mail.

13. Yek

Yek Member

Fantastic!

14. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Got mine today. It's smaller than I thought it would be. That's great! Same size as a barber or menatone.

This is one of the nicest looking pedals I've seen. Blue and red LEDs and green chicken head knobs! The foot switches are nicer than the ones on all my other pedals.

I was using a Supatrem. You basically get two sounds... hard and soft. With the Cusack, you can get these plus a bunch more. Oh yeah... the tap tempo feature plus ramp up and down works great.

I really like it.

Anyone want to buy a Supatrem?

John

15. Yek

Yek Member

I got mine too (serial no 20), and I'm very happy with it.

I'll be using at least 4 of the available wave forms. I like the use of 2 LEDs where one is always showing the speed, even when the pedal is off (I'm running it off a PPII).

The pedal sounds much better than the clips on the site suggest.
    Very glad the square tremolo really goes deep. BTW, the pedal is much smaller than you'd expect from the pictures on the site.

The tap tempo button is great for live usage. The brake feature is nice, but I would have preferred it to go back to the original speed when released.

The Option knob can do one of two things (dip switch inside): control the fade-in time of the effect or (edit:) control the speed of the brake. I guess I'll go for (edit:) fade-in time.

In short: this is the tremolo I was hoping for.

16. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Now that I have mine, I will add in something to add to Yek's posting... I got mine a few days ago as welll (serial #21) and I agree this pedal is an excellent pedal.

I agree that it does sound better in person and is definately smaller than I had anticipated.

To me it sounds very much like it is a part of your amp, at least with my set up. This is a very cool feature to it. Also, there really is NO coloration or change in your guitars tone when engaged and there is NO volume jump or loss which I love personally.

There are about 4 highly usable trem forms and they others are great as well for sound effect/textural stuff that I can get some really cool stuff with using with my Zvex Ooh Wah. I'm probably gonna order anther for my rhythm board. Here's a pic to get an idea of the size as well:

[​IMG]

17. Yek

Yek Member

:AOK

18. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

I ordered one of these pedals last night, and I'm really excited about it. Any idea where I should place it in my chain? Just FYI, I'll probably be using it, in conjunction with my delay, to get weird ambient sounds, not so much old-school sounds.

Setup: comp>whammy ii> wah> ts 9> volume pedal > delay > amp

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The Cusack sure looks to have some great features?

Any comments so far regards volume lift/drop when the effect is engaged?

Having had an older Supa Trem and a Demeter I'm a little wary of trems without output level adjustment.

20. Yek

Yek Member

Normally the tremolo goes about last, just like the built-in tremolos of amps.