Custom 22 and 500T pickup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Draggin, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Draggin

Draggin Member

Hello all,

Any tips on changing out my Dragon bridge pickup before I make any mistakes? I'm not too sure about the wiring... so if anybody has done this before, I would really appreciate your help. And how does it sound?
    Thanks for any help.

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Gibson 500T? Don't expect there the be three wires like PRS pups have. One wire, and the sheild are all you have.

3. Draggin

Draggin Member

So are you saying I shouldn't do it??

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Not at all. If you have and want to keep the 5 way rotary, then you will have to disect the pup and add leads to keep 4 conductor wiring. If you have the three way and don't have/want to coil tap, then you should have no issues.

I actually liked the pup in a LP classic I had.

5. jay66

jay66 Member

I have a 500T and it has 4 wires with the ground. some of the older ones might be 1 wire and a shield though.

6. karma1

karma1 Member

I recently bought a mid-70's Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul Custom copy. Just last week I had a 500T installed in the bridge. I didn't do the work myself so I can't comment on the wiring, but I can comment on the tone. I only use the bridge pickup for high gain leads, and for that it's fantastic. It's very fat and creamy and sustains for days. I'm always looking for a good classic Santana tone, and this pickup nails it, especially through my Mesa Boogie amp. I think it would be especially suited to classic rock and hard rock. It sounds better than I expected - I'm very impressed.