1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Custom 5E3 Narrow Panel 15W Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pics2050, Sep 18, 2006.

1. pics2050

pics2050 Member

2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Silver Supporting Member

can't help you with personal experience, but I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the builder. She has another model (Richter 50 watt model) that has gotten tons of high praise.

I believe that she posts here from time to time, and if memory serves me correctly, she uses the same as her ebay name... "sarasmiles".

I seem to remember a few TGPrs buying her amps and loving them... here is one that I could find quickly..... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=166586&highlight=richter

No reason that amp building isn't another arena where women can easily kick our butts.... they out-do us everywhere else !

3. conundrum

conundrum Member

For the most part women assembled all of the great sounding amps of yesteryear. Except Ampeg. Real sausagefest over there:rotflmao

4. pics2050

pics2050 Member

cool, thanks for your response.

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Hey Pics -

When I saw the title of your thread, I was going to jump in and recommend Sara Richter's 5E3. Didn't take long to figure out you're on to it. As you've seen from that other thread, I highly recommend her work. And she's a very responsive communicator.

Even though I've not played her 5E3, I'll repeat what I said before: if I had the $$, I'd buy one of those too!

Let us know if (when) you take the plunge.

- Thom

6. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I bought one recently and since I've now got two Goodsells (which are the only two amps I'm keeping) it is now for sale. Its a couple of months old, hasn't left my studio and is in mint cnodition. I'm looking to get $475 shipped and paypal'd. Let me know if you're interested.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

8. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Hey Pics -

When I saw the title of your thread, I was going to jump in and recommend Sara Richter's 5E3. Didn't take long to figure out you're on to it. As you've seen from that other thread, I highly recommend her work. And she's a very responsive communicator.

Even though I've not played her 5E3, I'll repeat what I said before: if I had the $$, I'd buy one of those too!

Let us know if (when) you take the plunge.

- Thom

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Timbre WolfView Public ProfileSend a private message to Timbre WolfSend email to Timbre WolfFind all posts by Timbre WolfAdd Timbre Wolf to Your Buddy List
    #6 [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Yesterday, 08:18 PM
    Dennis Rayburn [​IMG] vbmenu_register("postmenu_1646768", true);
    Contributing Member

I bought one recently and since I've now got two Goodsells (which are the only two amps I'm keeping) it is now for sale. Its a couple of months old, hasn't left my studio and is in mint cnodition. I'm looking to get $475 shipped and paypal'd. Let me know if you're interested.

My tweed or DRRI purchases need to wait, bought a Blues Junior tonite...if no happy I'll sell it and will use the proceeds in something else. Great to know about Sara Richter and her amps!!!

9. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

Are you boys talking bad about me again?? LOL

Yep, I post here now and then, Mostly just read threads though. I always fear that I would be spamming if I posted to much and of course thats a big nono;)

BTW, word has it I am about to release the first couple 2 X12" 50W combo amps shortly. Well, that was nearly true until a couple guys grabbed them before they were even listed on ebay. More on the way though just not as fast as I like, This stuff gets in the way of my shopping and you guys know I love my shoe shopping :angel

Sarasmiles

10. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Step out in style - you deserve it.

Someday soon I'll have to show you pix of my tweed 5E7 - I've just shellaced it. With the big bottles inside (Ken-Rad 6L6G, and now a 5V4G), its lookin' mighty fine. Yeah, us guys like to dress up (our amps) too!! :AOK

- Thom

11. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I'd like it more if there were Sprague filter caps. Those look like Illinois electrolytics, which I don't like as much.

12. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

Actually, those are not Illinois capacitor parts. I tried Illinois caps and had infant mortality problems with the small batch I purchased 2 years ago.

These are special-order 450 volt E-caps from the same capacitor factory that produces E-caps for CDE (Cornell Dubilier Electronics)

I have found them to be extremely reliable and of course cost effective as well. CDE has been around as long as or nearly as long as Sprague. Also, CDE and Mallory are actually both made by the same company.

I realize many guys like Sprague caps, and I actually use them in certain positions in many of my amps, But remember, I am trying to make these more affordable for guys. Its not an 1800,00 Victoria;) But I am told by customers the sound could go head to head with one:AOK Of course at nearly 33% of a vics cost.

BTW, the rumors of my new 50W 2X12" tweed combo amp coming out soon are a bit off. It is still a couple months until release. The first group was purchased before I could even get an ebay listing posted. 2 pre-production units are still being gig & studio tested/abused.
    Reliaibility testing is fun!! especially when they plug N play N play N play without issue.

Vendors are holding me up on a few parts but everything is looking good for early/mid November.

Sara